Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Author Topic: Favourite Off-Line RPG's...  (Read 2702 times)

deMangler

• Clonejack
Favourite Off-Line RPG's...
« on: 01 Sep 2010, 08:53 »

Something in another thread made me curious about this community's off-line RPG experiences.
I will provisionally start things off with my top 5 - in order of fun.

1. Paranoia - Very competitive and a must for those interested in toying with the IC/OOC divide ;). The most fun RPG ever, but the only way to find out why is to play it.

2. A D&D - The scaffolding for many great custom systems and for co-operative party-like play probably the easiest to 'just get on with playing'

3. Cyberpunk - Gameplay tended towards individualistic nutter type chars forming uneasy teams of conveinience while not exactly stabbing each other in the back, at least having lots of excuses to do so.

4. Rolemaster - Probably the most 'complete' and believable worlds I have played in have used this system. Needs familiarity of the players to avoid constant rulebook checking though - therefore not so immersive.

5. Reserved for the one I suddenly remember that I spent (wasted?) years of my life playing but was so off my head I can't at the moment remember it. Not sure it exists but just in case. <edit>Ah yes! Of course, Stormbringer. <edit> Thanks for reminding me Mammal Tafren.

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 20:23 by deMangler »
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Favourite Off-Line RPG's...
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2010, 08:56 »

Shadowrun. Cyberpunk and magic equals awesome.

Runequest. With Glorantha it is one of the best worlds that I have encountered. The same system has been used with Call of Chtulhu and inspired the Palladium system (I reckon.)

Ars Magica. Art of Magic. Storytelling game with a world that you can tell a thousand tales in. Was created by White Wolf when it was still good.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 09:02 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2010, 12:37 »

ShadowRun, most definitely.

Also Twilight 2000 and Twilight 2013.

Paranoia is great.

(See a trend here yet?)

Toon was a blast for something to waste time with.

D&D3.5 is a staple.

The Underground was fun but no one knows what it is...

Also Tales from the Floating Vagabond. Excellent game. Absolutely excellent, but again no one knows what it is.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2010, 14:27 »

My old time faves, in no particular order...

Earthdawn, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, anything World of Darkness but Vampire (loved Mage and Werewolf in particular), Paranoia, D&D (the new Pathfinder is really good), Dark Heresy, Exalted...

I'm sure Im missing some, but those are the ones that spring to mind first...
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2010, 17:22 »

1) AD&D - My mates and I (most of whom are also in the ILF) still play, but we're purists and only play 2nd Ed.

2) Cyberpunk - We play this every once and a while for a break.

3) Elric/Stormbringer/Whatever they're calling it now - Really good, though detailed, combat system.

4) Wheel of Time RPG - Cool game, but has the inherent flaws of the world in that channelers are overpowered. Also, the GM must introduce a new character every ten minutes, who often will have nothing to do with the actual plot, and then reintroduce characters, particularly bad guys, the players thought were previously dead, so to undo and undermine any sense of achievement the characters may have felt by killing these characters.

Just kidding

5) MERP - Played for a while, got bored of it.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2010, 18:49 »

1. Unhallowed Metropolis - post zombie apocalypse, neo-Victorian steampunk survival horror

2. Victoriana - magic+ the Victorian era...thats about it.

3. Dresden Files RPG - fate system, which is fantastic, and Dresden Files, which is a really interesting universe

4. NWoD - I prefer pure mortal games, but I've done other stuff before.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2010, 19:53 »

MegaTraveller.

Vieve

« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2010, 20:23 »

3. Dresden Files RPG - fate system, which is fantastic, and Dresden Files, which is a really interesting universe.

:D

RL friends of mine wrote this, so I'll say thanks on their behalf. 

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2010, 20:36 »

MegaTraveller.

One word. Megatraveller.

Gaaaaaaaa! It's all coming back to me now. Where did everything go so wrong?

I think it was when I bought my first serious PC game, only it was on the BBC Micro and it was called Elite.
If Elite counts as an RPG (It does for me) I played that for literally most of my life probably, in it's various incarnations.
Then there was Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss. I lived for years in that dungeon talking to lizards and eating fish. Until the truth finally dawned on me one day while meditating in a dark corner that I didn't want to escape....  :bash:
Daggerfall - my god, I quit my physics degree so that I could play this game 24/7.
The Gothic series -great stuff! I think Gothic 4 may be due out soon.....
I choose to forget. I'll take the black pill. Where did I leave my Megathron....

« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 01:13 by deMangler »
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

Jari Katir

« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2010, 23:29 »

Too many to list, way, way too many.

My major ones, though:

Shadowrun- pretty much my favorite handling of cyberpunk, and the books are amazingly fun to read dude to the BBS format most all of them have.

D&D 4th Edition- Before an edition war sparks, I like 3.5 and even AD&D just fine, I just like 4th ed BETTER  :P

Legend of the Five Rings/7th Sea- both made by the same company, feudal Japan for the first, age of sail/exploration Europe for the second. Smooth, cinematic system and well written books make it a great game to run and play.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game/Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader- all from the same company again, based on the wargames Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Warhammer 40k, great system and fun to play.

nWoD- Old World of Darkness was a pretty rough system with terrible writers, the new system removed most of the terrible writers (but oh lord they manage to slip back in some times and it shows), and the crunch got about a billion times better.

And of course all manner of other RPGs that catch my group's interest.

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2010, 04:22 »

Anything where you don't have to constantly reference your character sheet to do math.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2010, 06:02 »

In the old school days, I used to play a lot of different games, but to name just a few highlights I'd say Shadowrun (the setting is good despite it's wacky premise, but the system feels very dated.. with the latest 4th edition being absolute crap for a modern game, imo) and L5R/7th Sea.

Of course, I've played my share of D&D, but despised the d20 craze that was going on at one point. The system is good for tactical miniatures play, but certainly not the be all and end all of systems which they made it out to be initially.

As for a few more modern gems which I've enjoyed more recently : Weapons of the Gods, Burning Wheel / Mouse Guard and Heroquest (the 1st edition though, not sure about the 2nd).

3. Dresden Files RPG - fate system, which is fantastic, and Dresden Files, which is a really interesting universe.

:D

RL friends of mine wrote this, so I'll say thanks on their behalf. 

Heh, used to MUSH (online RP) with Fred Hicks myself. Oh, those were the days of Hell MUSH... I know Jim Butcher was into MUSHing at least at Amber MUSH as well, but I was never hugely into Amber.

Vieve

« Reply #12 on: 03 Sep 2010, 13:10 »

Heh, used to MUSH (online RP) with Fred Hicks myself. Oh, those were the days of Hell MUSH... I know Jim Butcher was into MUSHing at least at Amber MUSH as well, but I was never hugely into Amber.

OMFG.

I didn't play Hell/Pandemonium, though if you played elsewhere, it's possible we ran into or over one another.  Or you ran into or over the DH (except for Amber, where he was the freaking King of Chaos forever, we played on completely different MUSHes).

Yeah, Jim was on Amber, and a few of the WOD MUSHes.  The original Oklahoma City by Night is the only one of those I remember off the top of my head.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2010, 13:13 »

For me and my group it was AD&D and then 2nd Edition in college. We tried a few other things like the FASA Star Trek RPG and Marvel's Superhero game, but the majority of my investment went into Dungeons and Dragons. I bought every manual I could get my hands on and still have most of them  (Unearthed Aracana anyone?). I still know the geography and politics of Mystara better than I know them for Europe.

I shudder to think how many hours I've spent playing some version of Dungeons and Dragons. Literally thousands of hours over the last 24 years or so. I laugh when I see parodies of table-top gamers because so many of them are spot on of things my friends and I used to do.  

The only thing that saved me from being a total "D&D addict" was the fact that my parents actually listened to me and bought me an electric bass guitar when I graduated 8th grade. Since I was one of like three bass players in my area, I was always in demand and actually stepped away from the gaming table once in a while.