Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You fly your ship from inside a pod, not from a bridge?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Canonicity of EVE True Stories?  (Read 5349 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Canonicity of EVE True Stories?
« Reply #15 on: 05 Mar 2014, 21:49 »

Then no, it's not Prime Fiction.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #16 on: 06 Mar 2014, 03:27 »

I say if a baseliner wants to watch dramatisation of particularly dastardly capsuleer deeds on their holoreels, what they watch would be something like what is portrayed in Eve: True Stories. Obviously us capsuleers knew how it really went down, but well, why spoil a good story to the baseliners? 
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #17 on: 06 Mar 2014, 03:32 »

Quote from: CCP Falcon
With regards to the true stories stuff. I don't think there's an internal precedent set for it in terms of whether it's considered "canon". Personally I feel it's more like an embellishment of the truth and a dramatization of actual events, sort of like a story handed from person to person that becomes a little twisted and exaggerated as it's passed on, rather than a hard representation of fact.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4313319#post4313319

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #18 on: 06 Mar 2014, 03:35 »

What Samira posted and Falcon said.  The 'stories' are canon, as in they are stories that most definitely exist and are likely told in capsuleer circles, especially in the training programmes to full free captain capsuleer status. 

Whether the content is 100% faithful or even feasible, who knows?  I kinda like that element of things - I find that seeing a world through a clouded narrative lens can really help in grounding a character in the culture of a place, even if they have to pick and choose what may or may not be gross embellishment.  When we're talking about immortal space captains who never die, embellishment can get very strange indeed.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #19 on: 06 Mar 2014, 04:56 »

Quote from: CCP Delegate Zero
As for True Stories, it's an interpretation and dramatization.

After all, the 'canon' when it comes to the stories of players is what actually happened in all particulars and details in the game. This seems to me to be an absolutely essential aspect of EVE.

To answer the alts question - I don't see a change from the basic position: it's up to you guys to decide who and what your alternative characters are or represent.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #20 on: 06 Mar 2014, 06:13 »

I like that.  Can Delegate Zero become the general interface for 'not pissing people off but still managing to say something'?  That'd be a nice change from CCP's high speed supply of the D that they give to the community at present.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 06 Mar 2014, 09:15 »

Canonicity of EVE True Stories? For me, I stopped reading it as EVE canon and began reading it as just another space opera style comic when it became clear their capsuleers aren't actually in a capsule at all - at least not until they automagically jump into one at the exact moment their ship 'splodes.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 06 Mar 2014, 09:55 »

...it's up to you guys to decide who and what your alternative characters are or represent.

That's dangerous wording. This could be used to defend some pretty ridiculous things with alts.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:12 »

Canonicity of EVE True Stories? For me, I stopped reading it as EVE canon and began reading it as just another space opera style comic when it became clear their capsuleers aren't actually in a capsule at all - at least not until they automagically jump into one at the exact moment their ship 'splodes.
More or less this.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:48 »

...it's up to you guys to decide who and what your alternative characters are or represent.

That's dangerous wording. This could be used to defend some pretty ridiculous things with alts.

It's no different from saying it is up to us to decide what our main characters are or represent. The same common-sense restrictions apply to alts.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:59 »

Wardecs. Independent capsuleer Sanshas, Blood Raiders, Guristas, Serpentis, Angels. Nullification of negative security status by providing a few tags.

CONCORD isn't exactly a clean organization. We don't need to go full-on grimdark to assume there are ways to 'certify' a false identity, provided adequate payment is provided.

I don't see how wardecs have to be bribery.

Independent pirate capsuleers might also clone outside CONCORD jurisdiction and use pirated capsules or whatever.

Nullification of negative sec status is done by proving you worked to redeem your crimes. We may argue that it sounds a bit too easy, but I don't see how it points to corruption.

That is a new fad I have seen emerging among players over the last years, where CONCORD was believed to be full of virtue, and now full of bloated corruption. Maybe it is, maybe not, but tbh I would rather like to have more CONCORD lore at times.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 06 Mar 2014, 14:24 »

PF suggests that CONCORD is pure. Whether our characters believe that or not is up to them.

As far as the DED goes, they are incorruptible. That's the exact word used by PF, handed down from the mountain on a stone tablet:

The DED ships are usually equipped with the latest and greatest in surveillance technology, so their service is always a great support for customs patrols, especially because they are incorruptible.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Directive_Enforcement_Department_(Chronicle)

The rest of CONCORD is up for debate, and the Inner Circle and 'embassy' style place where ambassadors meet has been shown in the books to be a bit less than effective, but the DED itself is pure as a whistle.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2014, 14:27 by Katrina Oniseki »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #27 on: 06 Mar 2014, 14:48 »

They are not pure as a whistle. They just have strict guidelines on behavior that results in the expulsion of anyone who breaches them, but they aren't divinely immune to corruption.

Quote from: Forsaken Ruins
But no large organization is without its informants. And the DED, despite the extensive background checks, personality evaluations, and constant surveillance of new and experienced employees, was not without their own. With so much power concentrated there, entities both malicious and neutral went to great lengths to infiltrate the law enforcement agency. The DED quietly dealt with the moles they were able to catch. But with espionage at this level, where the stakes are so high and the potential for damage so great, no one could ever be certain that every spy was purged.

Tantoseisen Kakkichi—the Chief of Internal Security at the DED—knew that other spies existed within the agency. He had been reviewing disinformation items designed to expose potential operatives when the Jovian contacted him. Midway through the conversation, Tantoseisen started believing that he was being set up for a disinformation play as well.

Yes, the right thing to do. Tantoseisen nodded his head slightly, not saying anything. He often passed along information about criminals who escaped the punishment of CONCORD to Mattias, always in secret. The DED, as powerful as it was, lacked the resources to chase felons past Empire borders. Justice should have no bounds, the brothers always said. Mattias would be the instrument of CONCORD where the Tantoseisen and the DED could not tread.

“There are certain elements within the DED which stand to benefit directly from this information, Commander. Some would almost certainly use it to advance their own personal incentives, rather than promote the cause of the greater good, as the DED mission statement specifies.“

http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/short-stories/forsaken-ruins/
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2014, 14:52 by Samira Kernher »

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #28 on: 06 Mar 2014, 14:48 »

I've taken CONCORDs angle to be that they're efficient, hard to corrupt, and essentially do things by the book - it's just that the book has a few rules in it that might not mesh all that well with the worldview of a naïve capsuleer who thinks that CONCORD is there for their protection.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 06 Mar 2014, 14:53 »

They are not pure as a whistle. They just have strict guidelines on behavior that results in the expulsion of anyone who breaches them, but they aren't divinely immune to corruption.

Quote from: Forsaken Ruins
But no large organization is without its informants. And the DED, despite the extensive background checks, personality evaluations, and constant surveillance of new and experienced employees, was not without their own. With so much power concentrated there, entities both malicious and neutral went to great lengths to infiltrate the law enforcement agency. The DED quietly dealt with the moles they were able to catch. But with espionage at this level, where the stakes are so high and the potential for damage so great, no one could ever be certain that every spy was purged.

Tantoseisen Kakkichi—the Chief of Internal Security at the DED—knew that other spies existed within the agency. He had been reviewing disinformation items designed to expose potential operatives when the Jovian contacted him. Midway through the conversation, Tantoseisen started believing that he was being set up for a disinformation play as well.

Yes, the right thing to do. Tantoseisen nodded his head slightly, not saying anything. He often passed along information about criminals who escaped the punishment of CONCORD to Mattias, always in secret. The DED, as powerful as it was, lacked the resources to chase felons past Empire borders. Justice should have no bounds, the brothers always said. Mattias would be the instrument of CONCORD where the Tantoseisen and the DED could not tread.

“There are certain elements within the DED which stand to benefit directly from this information, Commander. Some would almost certainly use it to advance their own personal incentives, rather than promote the cause of the greater good, as the DED mission statement specifies.“

http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/short-stories/forsaken-ruins/

Of course they are not immune. But one example doesn't hint at a generality of bloated corruption, especially since here it points at a few moles and corrupted agents, where wardecs and the likes are bureaucratic mechanisms involving the whole CONCORD administrative procedures.
Pages: 1 [2] 3