Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The CONCORD Mandate  (Read 4807 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: The CONCORD Mandate
« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:19 »

Oh, and this is presumably the current mandate, since capsuleers weren't immortal as of CONCORD's origination. Makes me wonder if the original was different or just shorter.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2012, 06:05 »

I also have wondered why so few, or even none, really paid attention to what the Elders did.

I suspect a bunch of people hadn't read TEA, or were in denial about it. I know I'd like to pretend the Elders had never been invented, and once they'd officially decided to take their Starkmanir gene samples off to their secret utopias, I was pretty happy never to speak of them IC.

Oh I would like to pretend they never existed as well. The same with Jamyl, raped Midular, the Broker, etc.

But they do exist and ignoring them makes little sense in my opinion. If they do not, how the hell to deal with all the people that cling to the Canon (and TEA is Canon) ? How to justify the war without rewriting almost everything on your side from scratch ?

And, I have never read TEA. But those events are so widespread, like the slave emancipation, Tibus Heth rise, the Elder attack (we even saw it on a trailer), it is hard to miss them as a roleplayer. I may even argue that they are one of the first things new RPers see in the lore now.

Gymir Asaadan

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2012, 09:45 »

I think my honest opinion of CONCORD is that they are corrupt, at least to some degree. It's not-so subtle when you think about some of the mechanics in game and I think it lends to the belief that CONCORD is at some level, corrupt.

1. a CONCORD agent was working for the Sansha during the live RP events leading up to the formation of incursions. I think it was Rote Kapelle amongst others who killed the CONCORD agent, a little fitting given their Anarchist status (they later fought on the same side as the Sansha to provoke fights). Her being a double agent, and also a long standing double agent lends to the credibility of "if there's one instance of corruption, there is likely more."

2. During the incursions run-up, despite the Sansha stating they were going after CONCORD's ability to prevent them from attacking systems, they (CONCORD) never showed up to attempt to stop them. The most help that was gotten from those early fleets was random live actors for one of the four major factions arriving too late to do anything really important.

3. CONCORD in general allows some pretty shady practices. Like for instance, war decs? Where you basically 'pay-off' CONCORD so you can shoot at another capsuleer run organization? Sounds corrupt to me. Sure some of the oddities are based around "game design" but doesn't make the actual items they support any less strange from a RP sense. CONCORD might not be as corrupt as any of the Empires, but at some level they are still corrupt. For instance,

Security status. Where 'Prison' to amend crimes past equates to going into low/null sec and blowing up pirate battleships for a sec status increase that scales with the ships you blow up. So basically a way to amend is to go kill enemies of the empires and CONCORD. There is no "Pay a fine" option, nor a true secondary option. Indeed pirates in pods can safely traverse all of highsec without incident if they know what they are doing. Hell, if a -10.0 pirate docks in a highsec station and undocks in a battleship, and can make it to warp before the faction police or CONCORD show up, they make it safely to their next jump. Think about how little it would take CONCORD to just be waiting outside of that station, making it impossible for these criminals to escape so easily.

To me, there is just too much evidence that CONCORD is at some level corrupt, perhaps it is because their very mandate is bad, but I find they way too far from being "Overzealous" to let that slide. In fact they aren't really overzealous about anything.
An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.
-Buddha

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2012, 11:39 »

Well, since everybody wants to talk about corruption...

What, precisely, do people think of when they say that CONCORD is corrupt? Normally, corruption is a person or group of persons abusing a position of power for personal gain. To say that an organization is corrupt, then, would be saying that its members are consistently corrupt. Infiltration by hostile elements isn't corruption, because if it were, well, then the Broker's singlehandedly made everyone corrupt.

I don't know of any PF suggesting this to be the case. Does one want to say that the wardec system costs money so that the Inner Circle can personally profit? That they siphon off bounty money to support their mansions and pleasure hubs? Because it sure doesn't seem that way.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Jev North

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2012, 12:29 »

1. a CONCORD agent was working for the Sansha during the live RP events..
Uncle Sansha has nanites! And far more subtle forms of mind control hinted at in TBL. That's not corruption so much as infiltration.

3. CONCORD in general allows some pretty shady practices. Like for instance, war decs? Where you basically 'pay-off' CONCORD so you can shoot at another capsuleer run organization? Sounds corrupt to me.
Ah, but nowhere in CONCORD's mandate does it say anything about keeping free capsuleers safe and happy. In fact, read with a touch of paranoia, it's quite the opposite. Divided and warlike capsuleers are both manageable and aggressive and skilled enough to be useful tools of the Empires. Dependence on the ISK economy makes sure that we will be just that.

CONCORD isn't corrupt. It's just that no one realizes CONCORD are our true enemies.

:yar:

(Request: tinfoil hat smiley.)
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2012, 12:32 by Jev North »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul 2012, 12:37 »

CONCORD isn't corrupt. It's just that no one realizes CONCORD are our true enemies.

I think a few of us have characters that have made that leap lately...

And a tinfoil hat smiley would OWN.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2012, 12:39 »

Seriously. Now.

Also, yeah. CONCORD aren't necessarily corrupt. They are, in fact, working as intended: Keeping the capsuleers under control. We can't do much more than take a shit without CONCORD's approval and likely their oversight as well. They're holding us back from actually being the powerhouses we should be by limiting our access to the outside world.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jul 2012, 13:14 »

Also, yeah. CONCORD aren't necessarily corrupt. They are, in fact, working as intended: Keeping the capsuleers under control. We can't do much more than take a shit without CONCORD's approval and likely their oversight as well. They're holding us back from actually being the powerhouses we should be by limiting our access to the outside world.

[ic]And thank god for that. [/ic]

Publius Valerius

« Reply #38 on: 17 Jul 2012, 13:18 »

I think a few of us have characters that have made that leap lately...

And a tinfoil hat smiley would OWN.

Yes there are. And I dont understand how people dont see it. It is everywhere, the even have somehow control over 0.0 and they -- or pod brothers -- have to pay tribute to own what is theirs.

Im the only one how sees this? :P... Maybe Im the only one which has his tinfoil hat in the right thickness :P

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 17 Jul 2012, 15:19 »

I also have wondered why so few, or even none, really paid attention to what the Elders did.

I suspect a bunch of people hadn't read TEA, or were in denial about it. I know I'd like to pretend the Elders had never been invented, and once they'd officially decided to take their Starkmanir gene samples off to their secret utopias, I was pretty happy never to speak of them IC.

Oh I would like to pretend they never existed as well. The same with Jamyl, raped Midular, the Broker, etc.

I'm not sure that the Broker is public knowledge, nor raped-Midular. Most of the egregious bits about Jamyl are also unknown, which is my justification for pretending they don't exist (or at least, that nobody knows about them, which is close enough). If you only look at the bits that are widely public, Jamyl actually looks pretty good.

Also, I find it helps if you imagine that the Broker's real name is "Istvaan Shogaatsu".  Fucking up things by finding a crazy person called Heth and giving him the Caldari State strikes me as totally in keeping with his reputation.

And, I have never read TEA. But those events are so widespread, like the slave emancipation, Tibus Heth rise, the Elder attack (we even saw it on a trailer), it is hard to miss them as a roleplayer. I may even argue that they are one of the first things new RPers see in the lore now.

I don't think the slave emancipation was in TEA. Tibus Heth and the Elders however, you have a point.

From my IC point of view, the Elders show up out of nowhere, cause a lot of trouble, and then go away again. Like Pandemic legion in Amamake. They're not something I can control, nor significantly influence, and if I am careful flying through Amamake the chances of them impacting me are pretty low. So I mostly ignore them. I don't think that's completetly unreasonable.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jul 2012, 15:24 »

Also, I find it helps if you imagine that the Broker's real name is "Istvaan Shogaatsu".  Fucking up things by finding a crazy person called Heth and giving him the Caldari State strikes me as totally in keeping with his reputation.

Not empty quoting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]