Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That KillJoy Tseng's first season racing rifter later sold for 75 million ISK?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The CONCORD Mandate  (Read 4808 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: The CONCORD Mandate
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2012, 02:39 »

CONCORD pays the supporters of pirate factions to shoot the Navies of the empires in 0.0?

If that is not a sign of corruption or unbridled megalomania then what is.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2012, 11:40 »

CONCORD pays the supporters of pirate factions to shoot the Navies of the empires in 0.0?

If that is not a sign of corruption or unbridled megalomania then what is.

not as such. The empire navy npcs have tags instead of bounties. However, SCC will take a % of the sale, in the form of tax.

And there are a few anomalies, such as... in a DED blockade of one of the pirate factions unregistered stargates, there is a stasis tower. Which has a bounty. Resulting in CONCORD paying someone to shoot down their own stasis towers. Wut.

Minmatar getting bent out of shape about CONCORD existing and "protecting Amarr interests" is unsurprising, given the Minmatar/Elder bioweapon attack in the Empyrean Age. It is something that the Caldari State and the Gallente Federation should also have taken note of, and made the Minmatar a pariah state. Because free use of bioweapons against inhabited worlds is something that CONCORD was designed to prevent.

RL analogy. A surprise nuclear attack is launched from India against China. India says "nope, rogue elements". The UN says "careful now". China does not retaliate. Meanwhile, the USA and USSR act as if nothing out of the ordinary occurred whatsoever.

But no, the Gallente and Minmatar are still close friends. Yay writing.
\o/

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jul 2012, 12:04 »

Yeah, the Fed basically lost Caldari Prime because of the Minmatar/Elder/Thukker/whoever/SKYMOTHER attacking CONCORD. It was never brought up...or maybe that's why Gallente/Minmatar relations are currently "strained" (no real explanation for that). Maybe the Minmatar in the Fed meant that they were reluctant to put a fist down on what happened.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 2012, 13:10 »

I also have wondered why so few, or even none, really paid attention to what the Elders did. I mean, they basically blew up the head of the space ONU (CONCORD), allowed as you say the Caldari to retake Caldari Prime, caused millions of deads, genocided Amarrian planets with Insorum, and got out with nobody even trying to go after them to make them pay. I mean, in comparison to what Sansha did the first time, it is without proportions. Everyone do as if nothing happened, lalalalala.

Would I be CONCORD, I would do everything I could to hunt them down and bring them back to justice. And I would start by confirming permanently the Thukkers as outlaws, and chasing them to get answers and clues.

Would I be the Amarr, I would fully support the initiative.

Would I be the Minmatar, I would ask for answers (except for the puppet shakorite movement).

Would I be Gallente, I would be pretty pissed too.

Maybe the Caldari are the only ones not totally pissed by what happened, but still. Opinions might vary between individuals.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jul 2012, 13:26 »

why Gallente/Minmatar relations are currently "strained" (no real explanation for that).
You mean besides the crippling of the Republic's Federation-backed parliament and rise in Tribal government?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jul 2012, 13:30 »

why Gallente/Minmatar relations are currently "strained" (no real explanation for that).
You mean besides the crippling of the Republic's Federation-backed parliament and rise in Tribal government?

Why would the Federation care that much? The Federation has a diverse range of political styles, as it is anyway, so long as they're all democratic. More likely they're pissed with the Minmatar for undermining CONCORD and "galactic peace" or whatever.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2012, 13:32 by Seriphyn »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #21 on: 16 Jul 2012, 13:39 »

Seri, perhaps you missed it, but in PF, the Minmatar explicitly said "the Gallente model has failed us". Tribal leadership isn't necessarily democratic. In theory, it resembles something like a benevolent oligarchy, as clan chiefs and tribal elders ascend through connections and seniority but (again in theory) do what's best for their families, clans, and tribes.

As for the reactions of the various nations: you might disagree with the realism of the various factional responses, but that's one of the few areas of political PF that CCP considered and openly documented, for better or worse.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 16 Jul 2012, 13:52 »

"The Gallente had a dream, and they called this dream democracy," said the Ambassador in his speech. "This dream was given to the Republic in its infancy and held to be the right and true way for a civilized society to govern. We now stand in the shattered remains of this dream with one unavoidable truth facing us: democracy has failed."

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jul 2012, 14:09 »

Right, the Gallente had a dream about a hundred years ago. I don't think a pragmatist like Roden would care two bits about what the Republic govt is, so long as the Minmatar can be kept in the "anti-Amarr/Caldari camp". The way I read/see things, there is heavy suggestions the Federal government no longer engages in cultural imperialism because of its implications as politically unfashionable/incorrect (like the Jin-Mei description). Fed's been around for two hundred years, which is an extremely long time for "vibrant and progressive" democracy.

No doubt there's plenty of Minmatar/Gallente individuals who think the migration to tribalism from democracy is a bad idea, and they might influence their Senators at least. But not sure an industrialist/economist-led Roden executive would care that much. Ishukone found themselves in an awkward position because of CONCORD's undermining, and given the Federation also espouses free trade, they're likely peeved as well. But doesn't have to be either/or.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jul 2012, 14:47 »

Roden may not care, but surely you don't think that the entire Fed is that pragmatic - or that sub-factions within the Fed don't plan to use this for their own purposes.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jul 2012, 15:13 »

It still surprises me that, particularly post-Yulai, Fed taxpayers haven't (and aren't) complaining about their tax dollars having gone to support foreign aid to the Republic (I do believe PF suggests that the Federation government aided the Republic directly, rather than support and aid coming from Federation-run NGOs/charities).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2012, 15:16 »

It is very unclear/vague to me what is stated in PF regarding the new Tribal governement. They still speak about a Republic parliament that is still there, but not much else. I guess that tribal stuff gets important is at the level of tribe/subtribes/clans representatives and how they are nominated. And maybe also the composition of the parliament itself.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2012, 16:37 »

I also have wondered why so few, or even none, really paid attention to what the Elders did.

I suspect a bunch of people hadn't read TEA, or were in denial about it. I know I'd like to pretend the Elders had never been invented, and once they'd officially decided to take their Starkmanir gene samples off to their secret utopias, I was pretty happy never to speak of them IC.

It is very unclear/vague to me what is stated in PF regarding the new Tribal governement. They still speak about a Republic parliament that is still there, but not much else. I guess that tribal stuff gets important is at the level of tribe/subtribes/clans representatives and how they are nominated. And maybe also the composition of the parliament itself.

I don't think there is currently very much stated in PF about the new tribal government. Last I recall, we were waiting for another parliament to be convened, and that this hasn't happened since Midular left.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2012, 17:44 »

"Tribal Council", Ulf, and that's one of the things CCP Delegate Zero mentioned on the weekend as being maybe able to be unstuck Soon.

At the moment we're twiddling our thumbs, saying "Gosh, those late-joining tribes are taking forever to appoint their representatives to the Tribal Council", and carefully not talking about how the officially "defunct" Republic Parliament still has stations and agents in space, or how the Republic is running its finances.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2012, 22:37 »

This drove a new manifesto.
Pages: 1 [2] 3