Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [DUST] Infantry Weapons  (Read 5220 times)

Altantsetseg Naranbaatar

• Eyeshadow and Oil Smudges
  • Clonejack
  • What? I always dress like this...
    • Alta's Closet
Re: [DUST] Infantry Weapons
« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2011, 17:19 »

:Picture of hockey players here:
Wow, that looks... so derpy...

Admittedly, I was never going to play Dust, but it's reassuring to know I won't be alone :P

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2011, 08:01 »

DUST 514 is a dissapointment to me.

When I first started playing EVE years ago I wanted to imagine that hand-weapons and vehicle-grade weapons for the different factions were the same as their in-space ships. Later this changed to the belief that the only really effective and trustworthy hand-weapons could be projectile based. What the ammo was, was up for debate, how complicated or advanced the weapons were, was up to debate, and stuff like tanks might have some versions that used heavier non-projectile weapons, and such.

But frankly, many of the reasons for this belief have something to do with the example made from the Empyrian age novel; The Caldari EMP's the planet and everything down to hand-guns, relying on power for their blaster-like rifles, are EMP'ed into non-functionality? W.T.F?

I mean sure, the Fed's are obviously so incompetent they can't even shield their weapons from EMP effects or utilize non-EMP'able weapons, to avoid this. Of course not. THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE. :bash:

Esentially, it boils down to this; There is no reason to make a laser-tank when the ability to damage the enemy is based on a direct line-of-sight and a single impact-point - better to use a shell-fedd cannon that can fire over obstacles and use ammo with a wide variety of functions, like armour-piercers, high explosive rounds, EMP shells, plasma charges for massive anti-armor damage etc. Direct-Fire laser weapons work fine in space with few if any obstacles between ships and no gass-based atmosphere where the intensity of the beam can be effected, and so on. Not so much on the ground. Also, there are power-needs, cooling systems etc. etc. Rail-gun tanks for long-range artillery is not to bad, but should in theory have many of the same issues as laswer weaponry.

In short, relying on constantly improving the potency and usability of missile/projectile based weapons in dirt-side combat is far more practical and reliable than the more high-tech options of laser/hybrid weapons, lasers more so than hybrids.

Bit of a ramble... second annoyance is the showcased uniforms so far. At first it was all 'generic sci-fi/Caldari-like' now it's more like clown-suits. WTF happened to practical uniforms with camo and who knows what manner of available assets? This folks in those images look like they carry less gear than your average infantry grunt in today's battles. Nor does it look like any of any kind of strong armor.

They can do so much better than this.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:32 »

Camo is already used in space, herpaderp. Shortage.

And for lazors on planets, it could be lazors like in Deus Ex that can shoot through walls and obstacles.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2011, 14:33 »

Actually, grazers (hello Istvaan!) should be able to shoot through pretty much everything. (Dealing with the ratiation effects is left to the future owners of the structure.) Also, pulse lasers or electrolasers should be viable in athmosphere even according to our current understanding (sufficiently advanced tech is magic anyway, so ponies).

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2011, 16:40 »

Stealing from modern day.

-Blinding lasers.
-Sound guns.
-Electric neural disruptors (Don't taze me bro!  :P )
-Crippling Gas and Bio agents. Puking for the next 24h unless you get the antidote!

So called 'non-leathal' weapon systems. And suprise, suprise I think these coul be pretty much shared between Caldari, Gallante, Nation and Amarrians.  :twisted: Matari? Well they get a club.  :lol:

1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Publius Valerius

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2011, 12:14 »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/19/dropsuits-in-dust-514/

Drop suits.

Nice link... I hope we can use some of them to... I like the look.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2011, 13:55 »

Somehow I'm not getting the amunt of rage and dissapointment in this thread.

But anyhow, my two iskies, Battleships irl used to be cammed up, for obvious reasons. But then along comes rader and fucks that idea brutally.

Its not entirely inconcievable that detection systems can find people on the battlefield, thus rendering camo relevant, but not a game-changer.

In any case, who cares? It looks cool and looks fun.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2011, 13:57 »

Although, top of my wishlist:

A Minmatar Minigun.

For the lulz.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog
« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2011, 11:45 »

Is it just me or in the original post are they implying that the Caldari heavy weapon is based in mining technology  :eek:

Tbh I love the idea that each race has its own weaponry. Like the naval forces I'd like to think that the weapons key into each faction preferred fighting styles

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2011, 05:35 »

A note on battlefield detection systems: We do already have infrared scopes and radar capable of detecting people (as long as they are standing up). I'd assume that those heavy suits would be more like walking tanks, anyway - I believe it was mentioned that the heaviest suits could take a shot from vehicle-mounted weapons and the wearer could still keep fighting?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2012, 09:55 »

They've added a few more weapons to the list - a minigun (yes, it's Minmatar), a plasma shotgun, and a very awesome knife.

Read more here.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2012, 10:08 »

They've added a few more weapons to the list - a minigun (yes, it's Minmatar), a plasma shotgun, and a very awesome knife.

Read more here.

Love the mini-gun.  The knife seems kinda lightsaberish, but I'll go with it.  The shotgun looks like a Gallente shotgun, in that I could see the person who looked at the Tristan and said "yep, thats what a starship looks like!" would have designed the CRG-3 Plasma Shotgun and said "yep, thats what a shotgun looks like!".
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2012, 22:34 »

That shotgun honestly baffles me. It looks so structurally unsound I don't know how it would handle being thrown around.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2012, 23:04 »

That shotgun honestly baffles me. It looks so structurally unsound I don't know how it would handle being thrown around.

Looks like the user's arm slips into the back sling making it very compact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3