Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That all Blood Raider commanders receive substantial theological training as well? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Live "dev blog" on fiction and content  (Read 5150 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Live "dev blog" on fiction and content
« Reply #30 on: 08 Mar 2011, 19:09 »

You know, I'm gonna say that I was cautiously impressed by reading between the lines. Nothing they said directly made me go "hell yeah", but then again nor did it make me go "oh crap", but that's cause they were talking about projects that certainly seem necessary, but not all that glamorous (consolidating PF, etc). Back some years, I got the feeling the storyline development in general was far more .. haphazard and played second fiddle than it seems to be these days. That - if true - is great.

Also, what they said about incursions was interesting on the long-term. The possibility in the system is that incursions aren't just a Sansha thing (ie. Incursion the '10/'11 Expansion), but that they could be part of a way to bring content to the game in future as well. Indeed, that's what I most took out of the thing: their design is modular and it at least has the capacity of fitting together into bigger, neater chunks (ie. incursions by their own are neato PvE content, FW by itself is its own thing, but incursions + FW could be something greater than either). It remains to be seen when they're going to start taking advantage of that.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 08 Mar 2011, 19:13 »

Bruno, yeah, you had the right level of questions. So I'm not worried about all the folks asking "SO WUT IZ UP WIF SLEEPERZ" or whatever. ;)

Also, I was glad to see that they're working right now on the agent divisions and randomness. That needs to go away.

Amann Karris

« Reply #32 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:47 »

Bruno, yeah, you had the right level of questions. So I'm not worried about all the folks asking "SO WUT IZ UP WIF SLEEPERZ" or whatever. ;)
What are these "Sleepers" you speak of?  ;)  I'm just mad that they changed Incursions from EoM to Sansha.  That made me nearly cry.
Also, I was glad to see that they're working right now on the agent divisions and randomness. That needs to go away.
See, the only thing that was really new to me was that they had a Storyline Bible in the works, and that it has taken a year and a half to get it finished.  This just... you have no idea how...

:bash:

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #33 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:50 »

I remain undecided on that point. It could be interesting and useful, or it could make things dull from a corp-PF perspective if they just compress them into 'mining' 'courier' and 'kill' agents, or it could make things ridiculously exploitable and push mission hubs into even smaller focal points if they reduce the randomness too much.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:07 »

Sure, they could screw it up worse, but that remains to be seen.

And I took the "year and a half" for the storyline bible the same as everything else: probably too much "ooh shiny" the whole time. As I blogged before, CCP has ADD.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:33 »

I think I may have convinced shadow to swing by OOC channel on occasion, so that's cool
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:43 »

James (Shadow) has always been a cool guy.

Amann Karris

« Reply #37 on: 08 Mar 2011, 23:17 »

And I took the "year and a half" for the storyline bible the same as everything else: probably too much "ooh shiny" the whole time. As I blogged before, CCP has ADD.
No, no no no... what I'm irked about is that it should have been in place long, long ago.  I don't blame White Wolf at all for not wanting to devote resources to making a tabletop game now.  As I said not long ago on the EVE Fiction forums, this stuff should have been in place.  Why?  Because it's going to be a continuous uphill battle until that bible is in place.  "Oooh shiny," doesn't work in publishing, and it really shouldn't be acceptable in game development.  I've got a lot more respect for the task that Tony has at this point, and I'm betting he's got a lot on his plate right now.

That said: if CCP wants to go anywhere else with the IP aside from media tie-in novels, they need to have that bible, and they need to consolidate the setting of the game.  It should have been done by now.  Not only will this be an issue moving forward with the immersion aspects (note I didn't say "features") they wish to add, but I now completely understand why they put a halt to the Chronicles; it's adding in more aspects that need to be consolidated into the bible instead of being born of and added to it.  

Everything added in, storyline-wise, needs to be set in stone.  As much of a "fan" of Star Wars EU as Tony has shown to be (see -I think?- the 2008 Fanfest EVE IP video for details), and with as much understanding of what has gone wrong in his eyes with how that IP has been handled, I really think he should understand how not to make those mistakes, without falling into the others that he seems to be falling into ( ::cough::fear of fan rejection::cough:: )...

...and darn you Casiella, I know what you're thinking!  I won't do it I tell you!  I'm out! :P

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #38 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:12 »

I'm both pleased and concerned that they want to 'develop the pirate factions more'
If they do with Sarpati what they did w/ Kuvakei I'm going to cry though.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #39 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:20 »

I'm both pleased and concerned that they want to 'develop the pirate factions more'
If they do with Sarpati what they did w/ Kuvakei I'm going to cry though.

Tony G/current CCP fiction tendencies are...

Damn these rules on Backstage. Who came up with this nonsense anyway?

I think that, ah, a different direction than the vast, dramatic, and unlikely (which is to say, perhaps, blatantly contrived) might have been more in the spirit of Eve. That goes for the events of EA, much of the current Sansha stuff, and it is my hope that they take a more interesting, if less bang-wow, tack in the future.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 09 Mar 2011, 09:39 »

I was interested in the diversity of their responses to Arkady's question about shades of gra(e)y. Abraxas said the universe includes both the shading and contrast, though he sounded fairly diplomatic. Tony focuses on conflict to tell a "damn good story" (his words, not mine, Silver :) ). And then Gnauton hauls off and says it's all about moral relativism and how the real world doesn't have good guys and bad guys, just "interests and propaganda".

FWIW, though, when Tony addressed the storyline bible, he did say that it "speaks in broad strokes about shades of gray". So he's at least got the idea down.
Pages: 1 2 [3]