Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The founder of Zainou Biotech, Todo Kirkinen, was the first person to have his mind transfered into a machine? Ishukone owns a majority stake of Zainou.

Author Topic: The Crazy Guy  (Read 716 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
The Crazy Guy
« on: 12 Apr 2013, 07:32 »

Hey folks,

I’m in an interesting place in my EVE career, and for some reason I thought I should share it with you folks. Maybe I’m doing it to inspire others, or maybe just to explain it here so I don’t have to constantly explain it in game.

I don’t want ISK.

Yes you guys heard me…I don’t want ISK.

Yes, you can have my ISK, as soon as I make it.  You can use it to do whatever you want…I don’t care.

I’ve come to this realization in light of a few conversations I’ve had centering on ISK-efficiency, and how because I’m not being 100% efficient, I’m playing the game wrong.  I do not agree with this.

I have a character.  This character was a blue-collar worker all their life, until the State plucked him up and turned him into this immortal…thing.  He felt purpose in making the wheels of the State turn; just as I OOC feel purpose in supplying New Eden with raw mats.  Is this person now expected to give up his purpose for –ISK-?  What would he do with all that ISK?  What would –I- do with all that ISK?  It boggles my mind.

I don’t quite know what I’m rambling about at this point, other than I’m putting my character’s wants above even the core gameplay of EVE.  If this determines I’ll play EVE alone or I'mdoinitwrong…well, ok, I can live with that.

I guess I’m just that crazy guy.

Lyn Farel

Re: The Crazy Guy
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2013, 07:40 »

I don't see the point of being 100% isk efficient or whatever. If your only aim is money, sure, but here isn't it about the fun you get out of the game ?

After all, I am pretty much convinced that the majority of people are not isk efficient. After all a lot of them still farm missions or things like that when they could actually go farm incursions or things that are considered as much more rewarding in isk. Or they could fly the cookie cutter pve ship of the moment instead of using the one they like ? If that was the case, we would only see the same model of ship everywhere. Or even more, why people are mining ? It's certainly not the most exciting thing and not the most rewarding either... But some people like it, and do it.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:18 »

Nothing wrong with that, its a game, play it the way you want to.

Iwan Terpalen

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:20 »

Hey, good for you. There's a lot more to EVE than making a number go up. It's a useful skill to have, but it's only an end in itself when you choose it to be.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:44 »

Exactly. Play the game the way you want to play it.

ISK is nice as a means to an end, but it's certainly not an end itself. I spent the first few years I played Eve (PVPing pretty much constantly) with never more than 20 million ISK in my wallet, and I had a grand old time. Especially when you're a younger character, what do you need ISK for? Clones? They're cheap with low SP. Ships? Fly T1! The new Moa is a fierce PVP ship, and you can fit it competitively for maybe 15 million. Skills? The skills that really matter for the first few years are cheap. Implants? If you want them, maybe. They just get you to the point where you're spending more on clones, in exchange for letting you spend more on skills and ships.

Vaun Erryk

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2013, 08:58 »

I once played just accumulating ISK with no clear purpose for said ISK; it was shit. Good on you for finding a way to play that you enjoy and find meaningful.