Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Prioritise Peace. Prepare for War.  (Read 745 times)

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
Prioritise Peace. Prepare for War.
« on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:01 »

As some of you may have heard, Laurentis has written a book. That being said I have not, but I will be creating parts of it as I am able and will be tying it in to other RP events. I'll be announcing those in the IGS in coming days, but first I want to share this 'foreword' thingy here - and make sure the lore is up to scratch before going public.

Be my editors pls.

Foreword

In late YC112, our cluster changed.

We, as Gallenteans, Amarrians, Caldari, Minmatar, and all the other races which form part of our greater human whole stood as one in shock as the forces of Sansha Kuvakei made their return from oblivion to pillage our homes, abduct our friends, and manifest their abhorrent presence once again in their continued opposition to the fundamentals of humanity itself.
After all the hard work, the hours dedicated, by our galaxy’s most skilled diplomats and political leaders who strived to build relative peace and bring security to our core systems, the will of one madman brought to the legitimate empires of New Eden more chaos and destruction.

Much was made at the time of the response from our leaders, and of the capsuleer privateers who had pledged to defend free humanity, as well as those few others who abandoned us for the enemy. Not much, however, was reported about those with the most at stake – the everyday people, those who only lived one life, who nevertheless found the strength to carry on as the nightmare of every free thinking individual was made real once again.

I still regret, though I had no choice in the matter, being off-world when that dark day began – meeting with other leaders and district parliamentarians. To this day, I have nothing but gratitude for the executive staff, the legislators from across the political spectrum, and the dignified men and women of the Vittenynese Police Force who, in my absence, rose to the challenge and gave hope to the people when they needed it most.

From where I was at the time, what shocked me more than anything else was the simple inability of anyone, not a single damn person from the most powerful governmental body in the constellation, to do a thing. There was no law we could pass, no order we could sign, and no power we could truly exercise. We struggled in vain to get information from the Federal Administration, although they themselves were swamped with reports and requests for information from every notable individual, parliament, and member state in the entire Union.  In the face of the extreme mobility of the Kuvakei loyalists and their underhanded tactics, we were, in the moment, stunned.

If you wait for the war to come, see, then it will already be too late. Fortunately for the Federation, this lesson was already one well learned at the hand of previous experience. For while we are a nation of peaceful democrats – we know to prepare for the worst.  It was our past decisions, those strong choices made when there was no apparent threat, when no-one even knew that the Sansha remained in force that mattered more than those made during the first days of the incursions. Civil defence provisions, CONCORD, and our personal rights allowing us to defend our homes and our families gave us the buffer we needed.

It wasn’t long until the assembled parliamentarians and other delegates such as myself were cleared to return home. My administration did what it could to boost morale in the immediate aftermath, but for almost a year, life seemed to stop. Investor confidence was at an all-time low for a planet nestled in what has always been considered ‘high’ security space – suddenly a building put up one day could face complete depopulation the next at the hands of a raiding party. The few elections that were held were essentially non-events, the people perhaps being too afraid to risk changing anything lest we were assaulted during a transition. Even the birthrate declined, a factor that we put down ultimately to loving parents –kind hearted Federate citizens – refusing to see their newborn turned into a monstrosity.  We knew it was a possibility, we had all heard about the incident with ‘Slave Heavenbound02’ and we knew that the risk existed. That such a thing could even be contemplated by any person, let alone implemented, further broke the hearts of everyone down on the ground – myself included.

After this news was revealed I spoke live via holo, as I did often during those days as part of my duty to the people as their First Minister. In all my time in politics, it was then that I came closer than I ever had before to losing the professional composure that I worked to maintain throughout my career.  Still, even now, my heart goes out to General Seriphyn Inhonores, his family,  and to all those who had suffered similar losses throughout the ‘resurgent’ Sansha acts of terror.

As a people however, we did learn to adapt. By strength of spirit, our communities began to recover. We mourned those still missing from systems such as Intaki, Lirsautton, Ostingele, Renyn and all the others.  We moved towards peaceful cooperation with not only the Republic, but also the state and the Empire through our obligations with CONCORD to restore relative calm to our sovereign worlds.  We showed Sansha Kuvakei and his thugs the indomitable heart that lies in every single Federation citizen. Humanity at its finest is an awe-inspiring sight to behold, and I am forever honoured to have witnessed our own resurgence. Our Union is still strong! Our resolve stands firm in the defence of liberty and human dignity across all space.

By being ever prepared to combat the extremists who would seek to prey on humanity, we give ourselves the capacity to survive so that we may create a world where peace is in fact possible.

In unity,
Laurentis Thiesant OVC

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger
Re: Prioritise Peace. Prepare for War.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:08 »

Blurb and Front Cover available here: http://isode.destori.com/?page_id=123