Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Author Topic: Getting a handle on the backstory for RP purposes  (Read 2282 times)

Brenaris

• Clonejack

Hi

So I'm new to Eve, just been around a month. I'm looking to get more involved in RP related corps, alliances and other activities.

Finding it somewhat difficult to develop a character concept because of a lack of understanding of the general New Eden history and backstory, barring the brief synopses of the races. The official site references some compilation PDFs, but the links are broken.

Is there a good generalized history (both pre and post game launch), or am I looking at working my way through a lot of scattered articles on the official site and elsewhere?

Thanks

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Getting a handle on the backstory for RP purposes
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2011, 13:22 »

Reading through the Chronicles is always a good start, there is a lot of information to get you started on EVElopedia as well.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2011, 16:43 »

"Reading through the chronicles" is quite a heavy task.

I would suggest that you make a very rough sketch of major points of backstory you want to have - is you character from an influential family or a low social class, was he wealthy or poor before becoming a pilot, what sort of training he has (military? engineering? whatever passes for "classical" in his/culture?), is he religious/spiritual or not, what motivates them now (money? patriotism?).

Then try and figure out what those mean in the culture you want. Ask for feedback here. Do not fix too many details.

And then just start playing. Make up new details as you find out new PF.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2011, 19:36 »

Here's what I suggested earlier for developing a character. I still can't in good conscience advise a new RPer to start by reading the chronicles.

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=1331.msg15953#msg15953

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2011, 06:00 »

Hi  :)

Skimming the chronicles might be a better move. Pick out titles that look interesting to you. Read through them, ignore others. Whilst most of the stuff in the chrons is interesting, a lot is very specific.
Evelopedia is also a good source of background material. A lot of IC bios are now stored there, as well as a good collection of material on the four races/other factions.

Your other alternative is just to ask questions in game. You in channel 'OOC'?

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2011, 07:09 »

The timelines are a good place to start, along with the various race descriptions.

You can then browse the chronicles and the Evelopedia to check out anything that interests you.

Shalee Lianne

• Wetgraver
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2011, 15:32 »

Once you have a basic idea of the 4 races, pop into an rp channel and watch others.  Then walk in yourself and start playing.  You'll learn as you go along, really.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2011, 18:11 »

You'll learn as you go along, really.

In keeping with this, be ready to be wrong a lot. Some people will even comment on your character's apparent "appalling ignorance" if you trip over something in your own race's background (Admiral Tovil-Toba for the Caldari, who the last emperor was for the Amarr, etc.), but they'll let it go pretty quick once you correct the mistake.

Stick with it, listen a lot, roll with the punches, read short stories and Chronicles when you have the time and inclination, and you'll end up an expert in no time.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #8 on: 08 Feb 2011, 02:59 »

To add to Shalee's suggestion: When you pop into an RP channel, especially at first, also join OOC.  Then, if your RP conversation is going into territory you don't know anything about, or you're concerned you made a backstory faux pas, just ask in OOC.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #9 on: 09 Feb 2011, 11:43 »

Do you choose to burn your fishing boat to keep warm over winter, only to starve to death next year, or freeze to death now?
And then a volcano or sea serpent appears to make your choices ultimately irrelevant, as everyone dies anyway.

\o/

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2011, 20:52 »

Do you choose to burn your fishing boat to keep warm over winter, only to starve to death next year, or freeze to death now?

DEEP!

I like :9.