Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've just had the most disturbing exchange. So I'm sharing it here.  (Read 1758 times)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

Oh, America; that's the place where you're constitutionally guaranteed to never be forced to quarter soldiers in your home, but the government doesn't quite dare to promise that they won't level it (and you) with a drone-launched Hellfire missile instead, right?

If they ever need to quarter soldiers in your home there are a large number of ordinances that will allow them to either temporarily requisition your property in a state of emergency or else force the permanent purchase of it with 'Eminent Domain' laws.

But I take your point. :)

Aelisha Montenagre

Oh, America; that's the place where you're constitutionally guaranteed to never be forced to quarter soldiers in your home, but the government doesn't quite dare to promise that they won't level it (and you) with a drone-launched Hellfire missile instead, right?

It doesn't have to be drone launched.  Stop slandering my BABIES!

Davlos

• Egger
  • Purveyor of Horrible Images

This is nothing new to me. Welcome to my entire life in RL Caldari State (Singapore).

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

At least he has no constitutional guarantee that they won't level him with a hellfire.

Anyhow, whoever thinks that realpolitik is a child of modernity hasn't read Machiavelli's Prince. Or studied history even before Machiavelli. Political decisions are made by deliberating on interests, not ethical acceptability. Of course it's the interest of those that do the deliberating. That's always been the case.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain

That's what we get for letting others rule us.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

<nevermind>
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

At least he has no constitutional guarantee that they won't level him with a hellfire.

Anyhow, whoever thinks that realpolitik is a child of modernity hasn't read Machiavelli's Prince. Or studied history even before Machiavelli. Political decisions are made by deliberating on interests, not ethical acceptability. Of course it's the interest of those that do the deliberating. That's always been the case.

The Prince was actually a satire. Whilst expedient policy has been with us for so long as one caveman was slightly bigger than another realpolitik as a defacto ingredient of policy making has really only been with us since the Great Powers rose in Europe. Which is why it has a German name, not a French or Latin one.

The issue is not the formulation of policy according to what is possible but the open and flagrant eschewing of morality within policy making. Politics being the art of the possible, as Bismarck said.

Lasairiona

• Red
  • Omelette

If people believe that governments have not been watching and monitoring everyone, they are seriously deluded. This is nothing new. Never has been, never will be.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran

The Prince was actually a satire. Whilst expedient policy has been with us for so long as one caveman was slightly bigger than another realpolitik as a defacto ingredient of policy making has really only been with us since the Great Powers rose in Europe. Which is why it has a German name, not a French or Latin one.

The issue is not the formulation of policy according to what is possible but the open and flagrant eschewing of morality within policy making. Politics being the art of the possible, as Bismarck said.

Even if Machiavelli was satire - and though many authors argued that it was, many people at least didn't take it as such and heeded his advice - he still pretty much described the wife. I'd claim that simply because a man names a child it doesn't mean it's his child.

There has been open and flagrant eschewing of morality within policy making already within the Greek city states of antiquity - and Bismark was, in the end not eschewing as much morality within policy making, as his image suggests.
Pages: 1 [2]