Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Color me surprised  (Read 15479 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: Color me surprised
« Reply #60 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:22 »

Ultimately, I simply think CCP overstepped themselves with the ban.  As I said elsewhere, ban him from fanfest perhaps, but the game?  It doesn't sit right.

There is no freedom of speech when it comes to membership of private clubs.

If he had made some exploit public, he would have been banned just as hard.

Yes, if you say something that has lettering in the EULA *and* might hurt CCP's bottom line, you will likely be slapped. This doesn't impede your freedom of speech in any way.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #61 on: 31 Mar 2012, 18:32 »

In the end, the whole "EULA applies at fanfest" thing is just a cover rationalization for enacting the ban. I seriously doubt CCP is going to start fully policing the EULA at fanfest, because frankly 90% of the EULA "violations" at fanfest are likely people having fun with each other and done in good faith, not people deliberately trying to hurt others.

Yes, it's a highly subjective application, and yes, it's not "fair" to unequally apply it, but honestly I think that barring writing a new EULA for out-of-game interaction I think it's CCP's best course of action.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #62 on: 31 Mar 2012, 22:20 »

Ah well, it just confirms that goons are weaponsgrade douchebottles whether they're at the bottom or the top of the pyramid.

Anyone who needs confirmation of this is either blind, deaf and dumb, or not paying attention, tbh. At least sometimes the douchebottle-ness is funny. Raining penises in Second Life, anyone? :lol:

Also, it's amusingly ironic that this mess has turned the so-called "victim" into even more of a target than before.

OK, since SL was mentioned - I was active over there when it was an SA/Goon target.  Their main tactic was attempted crashes, usually involving a 'grey goo' object (mass replication beyond the sim land's limit).  The other common tactic was crashing events using an 'Inappropriate Flying Object' (for lack of a nicer term).

While in the short-term, it made SL a better place (by identifying and plugging the most glaring system holes), it also fostered a corporate structure at Linden that was very wary of its original 'wild-west' style of play.  They were trying hard towards an IPO, thus making their fortunes at the mercy of the general public's attitude toward them.

And so began what the old-timers called 'Disnification.'  Mechanics used to grief were severely limited or removed outright, in the name of "no one's using it correctly anyway."  Certain 'grey area' activities were outright banned instead of restricted ('gambling' comes to mind here).  For a while their forum was shutdown, and/or their GD was pulled from it, and/or had external help (I was one of the latter).  And now they're stagnating over the past year or more because leadership appears to be going in too many directions (at one point this included layoffs).

Any of this sound familiar?   :s

I have a lot of respect for the SA guys (in a 'good fights' way), but I also think they can get a bit overzealous and cause a backlash among the targeted community.  While this is usually the stated goal (it was for certain in Eve's case), I think they may eventually go too far here.  And I fear what may emerge from it.

My apologies for the rant.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #63 on: 01 Apr 2012, 12:27 »

Ultimately, I simply think CCP overstepped themselves with the ban.  As I said elsewhere, ban him from fanfest perhaps, but the game?  It doesn't sit right.

There is no freedom of speech when it comes to membership of private clubs.

If he had made some exploit public, he would have been banned just as hard.

Yes, if you say something that has lettering in the EULA *and* might hurt CCP's bottom line, you will likely be slapped. This doesn't impede your freedom of speech in any way.

Is the sky also blue?  Please enlighten me on more painfully and blatantly obvious statements kind sir!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #64 on: 01 Apr 2012, 12:36 »

has this thing settled down yet ?

I wonder. The stuff that happened last year, with the NeX / Incarna debacle, and when Hilmar? and the Mittani had those interview things, maybe that stung a lot.

and when this thing happened, it was a golden opportunity, so that senior CCP people would never have to have such an embarrassing thing occur again. Remind people who was who and so on ?
\o/

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 01 Apr 2012, 13:25 »

Is the sky also blue?  Please enlighten me on more painfully and blatantly obvious statements kind sir!

I'm not surprised that the color of the sky is blue, that was you, right?  :D

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #66 on: 01 Apr 2012, 15:23 »

I haven't confirmed this, but saw it said on another forum that someone on EVE Radio or some podcast yesterday gave out Mittens' home address and phone number.  He's apparently been getting death threats to him, his wife, and dog since.

In before everyone smugly and hypocritically approves.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #67 on: 01 Apr 2012, 15:43 »

Naw, that's actually pretty unfortunate, and speaks poorly of the people doing it.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #68 on: 01 Apr 2012, 15:49 »

I hope it was false info I read--I can't find much about it elsewhere. 

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #69 on: 01 Apr 2012, 15:50 »

Would never approve of it. I do however appreciate the irony of the tables turning.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #70 on: 01 Apr 2012, 16:22 »

How is that the tables turning?  It's not like The Wis said "hey guys, go grief The Mittani in game" which is basically what Mittens did.  This is someone saying "here's the home address of a man and his family, internet, go do your worst". 

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #71 on: 01 Apr 2012, 16:57 »

How is that the tables turning?  It's not like The Wis said "hey guys, go grief The Mittani in game" which is basically what Mittens did.  This is someone saying "here's the home address of a man and his family, internet, go do your worst".

Harassment = Harassment. I don't find the actual medium to be of much relevance. There's still real people behind every means of contact. While The Wis probably wasn't involved in this, Mittani did just find himself on the receiving end of harassment instead of the giving end. While I still don't condone it and hope he will contact the police, it is still delicious irony.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #72 on: 01 Apr 2012, 17:04 »

So, being an asshole doesn't work well for you? Color me amazed.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #73 on: 01 Apr 2012, 17:09 »

Harassment = Harassment. I don't find the actual medium to be of much relevance. There's still real people behind every means of contact. While The Wis probably wasn't involved in this, Mittani did just find himself on the receiving end of harassment instead of the giving end. While I still don't condone it and hope he will contact the police, it is still delicious irony.

This, pretty much. One can be optimistic and hope that Mittani learns some restraint and perhaps, stops considering things like this as acceptable behavior. I am not very optimistic.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #74 on: 01 Apr 2012, 17:35 »

I haven't confirmed this, but saw it said on another forum that someone on EVE Radio or some podcast yesterday gave out Mittens' home address and phone number.  He's apparently been getting death threats to him, his wife, and dog since.

In before everyone smugly and hypocritically approves.

You can color me surprised.

If that is even a color.

Mob's rule. He tried to use it. Now, it turned against him it would seem. When will people of low ethics understand that it will eventually backfire ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10