Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: impressionable mind seeks space cult  (Read 2267 times)

evelyn_anna

impressionable mind seeks space cult
« on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:26 »

I found my way here because I saw a kitten in Rens ages and ages ago.

I have observed and played a bit, even did some rp with some great folks. But I realize I do not belong in The Summit... or on backstage. So I will take my leave and let you alone with your serious business before I make a mess of things.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 15:46 by evelyn_anna »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: impressionable mind seeks space cult
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2012, 01:59 »

Welcome adorable noobie! Don't you worry, we'll help find your RP legs in no time. It's late where I am so I haven't the time to explain things and show links, and I'm sure someone else will beat me to it before tomorrow comes around.

Anyway, welcome and try to have fun.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2012, 05:10 »

Playing a non-capsuleer is pretty unreasonable and you are going to run into someone who will find your killmail and claim that you are dead.  It's happened before.

Basically, dont do anything that is completely impossible by game mechanics, or that people can prove wrong.

Other than that, welcome!  What are you looking to do in terms of roleplay?
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2012, 14:16 »

ohai  :)

y u no capitalize tho??

Non-capsuleer characters are a grey area.  I personally don't mind them if the concept is interesting enough, but you will always have detractors who want to dismiss such a character out of hand because non-capsuleers aren't supposed to have access to much of the capsuleer world (comms frequencies and physical spaces, etc).

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2012, 14:33 »

Well, here is the thing.  There are a lot of non-capsuleer alts around.  The problem is when you get non-capsuleers who actually fly around and therefore risk getting their ship exploded and added to a public killboard.  If that happens, and you are staying true to the character, then you sort of have to biomass.  You can't really claim "That didn't happen", because then someone in the RP community itself is going to go out and find you and blow up your ship just so you can't weasel out of it.

This has actually happened, in the past.  Its the same reason why on numerous occasions Tib has yelled at capsuleers who claim to be flying around outside of their pod.

It's fine for, say, a market alt, or even just an RP alt.  With a main who is actually undocking though?  Eh.

Anyways, thats a bit of a derail!  What sort of character are you seeing yourself as?  What are you looking to do?
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

evelyn_anna

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2012, 18:06 »

(post omitted)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 15:42 by evelyn_anna »

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2012, 19:13 »

Nope, not yet!

I think the thing is that they wouldnt get on alts.  They would go and do it themselves.  Then they have a your killmail, and you are claiming to not be a capsuleer, and yet here you are, alive after someone blew you up!

Its generally a matter of what is provable in space.  You cant claim that I wasn't at that seedy bar because that seedy bar is something that only exists in our minds.  Your killmail, on the other hand, is very real and probably API verified.

Now, you can very easily play a capsuleer who is basically a normal person!  It avoids all sorts of potential issues, and even makes you relatively believable.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2012, 19:16 »

to be honest, character backgrounds are a great deal easier to write when there are less details that can't be explained away with capsuleer privilege (though slightly less interesting overall).

In what sense? It would seem to me that you'll have a much harder time explaining lots of things, even as a hauler / trader, if you insisted that your character is a "baseliner" (normal mortal human) with a full bridge crew, rather than stick with the established explanation from CCP. :)

EDIT: Also, yes, your character can be a "normal" person in terms of their motivation, personality, augmentations, etc. Basically just a regular human that can't die if their ship blows up.

evelyn_anna

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2012, 20:50 »

(post omitted)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2012, 22:55 »

There's plenty of scope for playing an "ordinary" person who happened to be pod compatible and is now trying to make the most of it while retaining ties to the real world.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 01 Aug 2012, 12:47 »

. kecking vampire space lesbian it is!

Another one?

Anyway, welcome to EVE RP :) 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 01 Aug 2012, 13:56 »

Apparently that's the only way to get some action around here!

evelyn_anna

« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2012, 20:59 »

(post omitted)

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2012, 21:13 »

You can join the channel "OOC" for, um, OOC discussion, and "The Summit" usually has lots of RPers for IC discussion.

evelyn_anna

« Reply #14 on: 01 Aug 2012, 21:24 »

(post omitted)
« Last Edit: 30 May 2013, 15:41 by evelyn_anna »
Pages: [1] 2