Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ship crews either spend most of their journey in their escape pods, and are awoken with adrenaline only as needed?(Source: The Burning Life novel by CCP Abraxas.) or live aboard ship much like ship's crews today? (Source)

Author Topic: Blood Bowl  (Read 1215 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
Blood Bowl
« on: 12 Aug 2013, 17:17 »

So, fine folks... who else here has heard of this fine game?

Brief summary if you haven't:  Blood Bowl is a turn-based sports strategy thing that was first made by Games Workshop yonks ago, and has not been officially supported in ages.  It's set in an alternate lighter-and-fluffier version of the Warhammer Fantasy universe, which means it's still violent, bloody and filled with senseless carnage, but it's a lot funnier.  A few years back, a digital version was created by Cyanide Studios, and it's done pretty well for itself, with an upcoming sequel and unconfirmed rumours that GW will be pushing out a new edition.

Rules-wise, there's elements of rugby, american football, and gang warfare.  There are full rules for stamping on enemy players after they've been knocked down, and some teams actually encourage doing it as often as possible.  Your star player will undoubtedly be turned into mush by a rampaging minotaur at the worst possible moment (unless said star player is a rampaging minotaur, in which case they'll trip over and kill themselves instead).  You will come to loathe the common, harmless six-sided dice with an unrelenting fury.  You will scream to the gods for the injustice of it all.  Then you'll start the next match.

I've never known a game be able to induce quite as much rage as Blood Bowl.  Yet, despite only getting it in February, Steam declares that I've clocked a frightening amount of time on it.  Definitely worth a look if you have any strategic hankerings in your noggin.

Veyako Koyama

• Clonejack
Re: Blood Bowl
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2013, 19:10 »

I'd actually just gotten this not too long ago.  But have not even had a chance to play it yet, since my focus has been elsewhere :(

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2013, 19:41 »

I have the game that is on Steam.  Haven't played it too much.  I wouldn't mind playing.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2013, 07:10 »

Something I will say is that the game's ability to teach you anything is atrocious.  Fortunately, if you hunt down the install directory, the actual tabletop rulebook is in there.  There's also a bunch of good stuff on youtube - look up cKnoor in particular.  He did a 'beginner's guide' series, that covers all the basic concepts.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2013, 08:47 »

I had wanted to get the game when it first came out for the PC and missed it then.  I'd consider getting it via Steam, but Steam requires a credit card which I currently do not have and without that, it won't actually utilize paypal.  Sigh...first world problems.

That said, I've played the recent card game version (Blood Bowl Manager, or something along that name) and found that kind of fun in itself.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:06 »

http://bbtactics.com/forums/ is where I hang out a lot, forum-wise.  Good bunch of folks there, some very informative gubbins.  Ingame and on-forums I'm Basilisk9466.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2013, 16:39 »

I remember when the original board game came out. *Feels old* Never played it though.

I picked up the PC game in one of the Steam sales. It has never worked. :(
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2013, 09:21 »

The board game has a rule "Illegal Procedure", which is literally the best rule ive ever seen in like 25 yrs of wargaming and stuff.  Check it out.  Its produced more yelling and "ffffffffffffffffffffffffff" than any rule ive ever seen.  Played a couple seasons, each season about 20 games or so. 

Lead my Wood Elf team to the championship with the feared "Never Leave the Forest" tactic.  (Back when you could have 4 star players, my opponents called my team "a tree man team with a few goddamn elves")

Next season, lead the Dwarven Steelers to the semi-finals, but lost to an incredibly cheesy Chaos Dwarf team.  They were in turn beat by a Chaos team, the feared Khorne Huskers.

Love this game. 

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2013, 10:05 »

The board game has a rule "Illegal Procedure", which is literally the best rule ive ever seen in like 25 yrs of wargaming and stuff.  Check it out.  Its produced more yelling and "ffffffffffffffffffffffffff" than any rule ive ever seen.  Played a couple seasons, each season about 20 games or so. 

Lead my Wood Elf team to the championship with the feared "Never Leave the Forest" tactic.  (Back when you could have 4 star players, my opponents called my team "a tree man team with a few goddamn elves")

Next season, lead the Dwarven Steelers to the semi-finals, but lost to an incredibly cheesy Chaos Dwarf team.  They were in turn beat by a Chaos team, the feared Khorne Huskers.

Love this game. 

Ahh, woodsies - capable of so much bullshit.

I'm currently playing a Dark Elf team in one persistent league and a Necromantic one in another.  Since I've only played the Cyanide version, I've never run into Illegal Procedure, but a quick scan of the rulebook immediately suggests it could be immensely entertaining.  Anyone who's played any kind of board game will know that sinking feeling of '...wait, I forgot to do something', and an official rule to punish that sounds awesome.

Until, like everything with Blood Bowl, it turns against you.