Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki who supported Caldari independence from the Federation were first exiled from the Federation, and then attacked by Caldari radicals demanding the expulsion of all foreigners? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire  (Read 4737 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: 9/11 and the invasion of Luminaire
« Reply #30 on: 12 May 2011, 15:37 »

I think the invasion of Luminaire is indeed best compared to an occupation of a city/region, rather than a terrorist attack on a set of symbolically meaningful and tragically people-bustling buildings. I think Seri was talking more about the emotional impact of the thing though than its exact definitions.

Which brings me to something I've talked about with a few euros in regards to 9/11.

There's a general sense of what the US did afterward being rather uncalled for in a lot of people (and I would certainly agree on at least the case of the Iraqi invasion), but I also think a lot of euros espousing such views are not able to put themselves in the shoes of a citizen of a nation that was thus attacked. Having raised this counterpoint, I've often heard the argument that not every nation would respond to such a national crisis in a similar way.

I would certainly agree with that too and I am not entirely sure how my own country would respond in such an event, but to finally address the point of the OP : I don't think copy-pasting the American mentality on top of the Federation is appropriate here. I don't see the Federation as an America analogue.  Hence, I'm leery about saying that the mental impact of 9/11 is a good analogue for the mental impact concerning the invasion of Luminaire, either.

Vieve

« Reply #31 on: 13 May 2011, 03:46 »

Half Cocked Jack

• Clonejack
« Reply #32 on: 13 May 2011, 15:14 »

Sorry for all the flak you caught, Seriphyn. As a United States citizen, I feel can safely say that it is far overdue that we stop treating 9/11 with such delicacy. There is no place for white gloves in history...unless you are dealing with decayed paper artifacts. That said, I don't think the comparison is very apt for a couple of reasons:

1. Many to most Americans had never heard of al-Qaeda before 9/11, whereas the Gallente population was aware that a big ole Caldari state existed out there that--while not in open conflict--was definitely not cuddly.

2. A professional military invasion followed by ongoing occupancy is quite a bit different than single-shot suicide bombing.

If I had to pick an event in Western history to sit next to the Luminaire Invasion for comparison--and this is still a bit of a stretch--I'd pick Pearl Harbor. Nobody was expecting an attack, but the stage was set for it as relations were going sour. It thrust both countries into a huge, prolonged conflict. Granted, the Japanese did not occupy Oahu...but they did go on to occupy some other territories (Guam, the Philippines, Wake...). Also, I can imagine Foritain's response being something like this.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: 13 May 2011, 15:28 »

Another terrorist leader has been killed!

I laughed so much at the comments under this article.

That article was win, pure and simple.

And yeah, I lol'ed at the comments too.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 13 May 2011, 16:13 »

Another terrorist leader has been killed!

I laughed so much at the comments under this article.

That article was win, pure and simple.

And yeah, I lol'ed at the comments too.

epic
Pages: 1 2 [3]