Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Band of Brothers killed the first titan in EVE?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So, what happens after EVE? (jk eve is immortal)  (Read 7025 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: So, what happens after EVE? (jk eve is immortal)
« Reply #30 on: 07 Sep 2014, 18:18 »

There's an alternate universe out there somewhere where they didn't sink a fortune into the vampire game or console failures; they released incarna with tons of gameplay to integrate into the space portion of the game, and incarna turned into DUST but on the PC - with ship boarding, station assaults, and full integration with the space client, and eventually Valkrye merged with the space client as well.  total space sim in eve universe, with about 4 games worth of things to do in one big sandbox.

They had the money, they had the time, and they chose a different path. 

Some of you on here might have a better handle on the numbers, but I seem to recall some insane metrics with EVE online that something ridiculous like 90% of all new subscribers quit within a month.   

Eve has been financially supported by the same dedicated crowd of people and their alts for years; it's a business model that seems to stress retaining and mollifying the die-hards vs getting new people into the game.  It seems to have worked for them but it's anyone's guess if there's a 'wall' they will eventually hit.

So they've sort of built themselves into a corner; they can't change the game enough to stay innovative and bring new people in without mass tears from the vets, and they can't bring in tons of new people or move those people into the '0.0' lifestyle they encourage without some systemic changes to the way the game works.

It's difficult with a single shard built on a lot of sandbox efforts, that when you have to change the game you have a million snowball effects that might ruin the work people have done for years.

Anyway as I'm removed from inside the maelstrom these days, it does very much still look from the outside as rearranging the deck chairs on a somewhat sinking titanic instead of any fundamental shifts on the horizon.  All of the expansions for years have been iterative / stats changes rather than introducing drastic new gameplay and shaking things up.

Hell even in WOW didn't they have one expansion that revamped nearly all of the original starting areas with new content?

Bring the JOVE back, have an invasion, I don't know. 

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #31 on: 08 Sep 2014, 00:33 »

What about Oculus Rift? I like to use the OR to navigate my overview. This should allow us to have a larger space to fit all our stuff in. Turn left/right for overview, middle is combat screen, turn another way for D-scan, local or etc.

We already have a larger space to fit it all in. Multi-monitor setups. VR tech is cool and all but I don't see Eve benefiting much from it. Two monitors with Eve on them and one with browser/third party software and comms and bob's yer uncle.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:30 »

What about Oculus Rift? I like to use the OR to navigate my overview. This should allow us to have a larger space to fit all our stuff in. Turn left/right for overview, middle is combat screen, turn another way for D-scan, local or etc.

We already have a larger space to fit it all in. Multi-monitor setups. VR tech is cool and all but I don't see Eve benefiting much from it. Two monitors with Eve on them and one with browser/third party software and comms and bob's yer uncle.

He's right, Oculus style VR can be wonky for the god's-eye view RTS style interfase EVE uses for the current spaceship stuff.

unless they pull a babylon 5 Mimbari command center... with the VR wrap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsk3ay3e98

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:35 »

Nothing significant will develop in the near future as far as MMO's are concerned.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 08 Sep 2014, 08:55 »

Nothing significant will develop in the near future as far as MMO's are concerned.

I have gallons of Star Citizen kool-aid to share.

JOIN OUR CULT.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:08 »

JOIN OUR CULT.

It will be successful enough to continue but not revolutionary in any way. Just like most MMOs. It is mostly hype, also like most MMOs. I will not be joining as my inhuman hatred for Roberts will not let me.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:50 »

JOIN OUR CULT.

It will be successful enough to continue but not revolutionary in any way. Just like most MMOs. It is mostly hype, also like most MMOs. I will not be joining as my inhuman hatred for Roberts will not let me.

Just curious why inhuman hatred? Did he kill your dog or something? :P

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 08 Sep 2014, 09:58 »

His track record is a long history of unbelievable arrogance culminating in dramatic failure blamed on others not recognizing his self-proclaimed visionary status. To put it simply, he annoys the ever loving crap out of me. But other than that, the game itself just does not interest me so I would not be particularly interested if he did not bother me. I am not partial to cockpit POV in any sort of space or flight game. Space to me is about more than flying.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 08 Sep 2014, 10:37 »

His track record is a long history of unbelievable arrogance culminating in dramatic failure blamed on others not recognizing his self-proclaimed visionary status. To put it simply, he annoys the ever loving crap out of me. But other than that, the game itself just does not interest me so I would not be particularly interested if he did not bother me. I am not partial to cockpit POV in any sort of space or flight game. Space to me is about more than flying.

Some fair points there :P

Happy to PM with you if you'd like to talk about how the alpha is currently going

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 08 Sep 2014, 10:44 »

Some fair points there :P

Happy to PM with you if you'd like to talk about how the alpha is currently going

Sure, you can do so here or on Steam. I believe we are Steamy friends, though I am not sure since I can never remember who is who. If the game turns out to have more to it than a space cockpit simulator and I have friends that can attest to it, I may be able to change my mind by pretending Roberts does not exist.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 08 Sep 2014, 13:31 »

We all try to pretend Roberts doesn't exist. Actually more seriously he probably has an insufferable ego and might well be an archetypal narcissist in its finest, I can still see that he loves what he tries to achieve and is good at doing so. For now.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #41 on: 08 Sep 2014, 20:43 »

Ah, but with multi-monitor I can't lock targets by bobbing my head!
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 08 Sep 2014, 21:15 »

On a serious note in this:

If you can think of anything useable now for disabled people (as opposed to not justsomethingfckign cool) that CCP won't consider "third party software" with bannability, let me know.

I am not allowed to use Dragonspeak "legally", for example, even though one or both of my hands paraluzes 1-2x a year, my dexterity is horrendous already, etc.

And some of you have seen my typing as my nerve  damage grows worse and worse.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #43 on: 09 Sep 2014, 05:13 »

Arista, I believe we had quite a long discussion a few weeks ago on this topic. 

CCP cannot do anything about use of sftware that 'does not interact with the client at the code level'.  In a nutshell, anything that injects code into the client for the purposes of extending functionality or abusing client-server interactions is illegal, independent programs running in parallel are not. 

Now they can handwave a catch all into the EULA, but unless they're going to re-hire all of those laid off staff and allow them to lean on the back of your chair while you boot up Voice Commander, Dragonspeak or any number of enabling tools, they have precisely zero actionable intelligence to enforce that EULA clause.  It's be more sensible that clauses that are unenforceable do not exist so as to prevent egg landing on their faces in situations such as yours. 

Personally, a non-client modding bit of software like dragon speak, which emulates key presses via voice to text (or input), doesn't flag up any issues.  In fact you'll take a massive APM hit unless we're speaking of some convoluted ISBOXER set up with dragonspeak allowing multiple independent key press interpretations using a multi-threaded control scheme you'd be hard pressed to get Turing to want to crack in terms of complexity. 

If my 'inability' to multi-box at real time speeds is able to be mitigated by ISBOXER without punishment, your challenges can be addressed in part (and less effectively than the mainstream route) by Dragonspeak et al.  You cannot allow the extension of the abilities of averagely dexterous individuals, while decreeing that those whose dexterity may be impaired must effectively HTFU.  Aside from being a big ball of bullshit, it is (as previously mentioned) unenforceable and at worst, ableist. 

There are some monitor input filters out there that assist colour blind individuals in picking out detail they might otherwise lose in a traditional 'red vs blue' colour scheme.  Voice assist tools are effectively the same thing, IMO.  Undetectable, never leaves your machine and never touches game code at any level. 

Tl;Dr: If it doesn't touch game code, it is pretty much legit by way of being unenforceable. 

Apologies for minor derail, I will take this discussion to its own thread if such continues.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 05:35 by PracticalTechnicality »
Pages: 1 2 [3]