EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Self-identification vs. Non-identification in RP

<< < (6/6)

Veiki:

--- Quote from: Charles Cambridge Schmidt on 09 Jul 2017, 20:35 ---Not quite. What I am 'essentially' saying is that independent of the setting, it is the writer's responsibility that, should they claim to be writing a character, to keep the character in a consistent manner. I believe you are overthinking what I have written, in this instance. In addition, as a part of roleplay, even if a character is written exceedingly well, if that player has a poor reputation OOCly (ergo my word choice of 'respect'), they may not be considered, or outright rejected. It does not matter, to me, if the setting is 'realpolitik' or fairy ponies in candytown: the intention and the points are the same.
--- End quote ---

RP always carries with it a measure of consent sure, but consistency is always a subjective measure. For example, if a character is written as an opportunist or seems to make decisions as an opportunist then it's pretty easy to IC contextualize that from the perspective of a character: That other character is an opportunist. Is there an SI Unit for character consistency? One character might see another as, "Nice," And another might look at that character and think, "They're weak." Only the player of a character themselves can know if their character is acting consistently according to what they have in mind for them.

The only way outside of that is having OOC knowledge about a character's motivations and internal machinery in order to assess consistency -- as such to be told OOC and not shown via IC interactions.

As for poor OOC reputations, that's usually just a simple function of enough people talking enough shit about a person. While the prerogative always exists not to choose to interact with a person or character/s I'll make my own judgements about a player or character and not buy into hearsay. Even then if my estimation is negative I'm still going to suspend OOC judgement in an IC interaction with whatever character they might have.

Ashley:

--- Quote from: Teinyhr on 08 Jul 2017, 17:07 --- There is ALWAYS an OOC link between roleplayers, and because roleplayers are a minority in most games people have, I think, come to expect more solidarity between each other. As such, EVE is a harsh mistress, because you can hurt people in this game - those swimming in ISK often think nothing about destroying assets someone might have worked weeks, months, even years for.

--- End quote ---
RPers are hardly a minority, but mb I'm just living in my bubble seeing all things through a prism. Overwhelming amount of players I see in game and interact with are RolePlaying every time they are logged on in the client. ;P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version