Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unusual RP angles: Serpentis Edition  (Read 4795 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Unusual RP angles: Serpentis Edition
« on: 27 Jul 2010, 16:12 »

Another post to see what people's ideas are about non-obvious angles Serpentis RP might take.

What sort of things might there be to the Serps other than just being New Eden's drug dealers?

Keeping in mind that I'm not suggesting that the following would be anything other than a small minority:

Maybe a faction of Serps that are politically active, with an interest in increasing Serp influence in Placid not just to gain power (thought there is that) but also to help the region. Some of them might even be from Placid, and disillusioned with the Fed. Maybe something similar, but with Syndicate. Maybe they see the Serps as a possible uniting influence to bring order to what they feel is a chaotic system.

Perhaps a group of Serps that are legitimately interested in doing 'good' (and helping to establish a power base among the local poor in their area). They might use some of their illicit profits to open free clinics and fund social programs in impoverished communities on planets and stations in the Fed. (Perhaps said clinics are also used for less altruistic purposes.)

Maybe a faction that feels like they want less Angel influence in their business?

I seem to also remember that Saxon Hawke had some info on a Serp Cult. If you're around, Saxon, would like to see more about that.  :D

Anyway, what're your ideas?

See the other 'Unusual RP angles" threads: Blooders and Sansha

Vincent Pryce

Re: Unusual RP angles: Serpentis Edition
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:23 »

Group of serpentis doing fringe research to medical sciences, bordering on mad-science. Fringe research on mental health, lets think victorian age kinda dark and creepy asylum stuff.

Black market clones and and body modifications for the Average Joe. Wanted that bigger junk to wave around? With scales... and poisonous needles. Tails, cat ears... gills. Pick your freak fetish. Snakes provide quality gene splicing.

I will post in more detail when I have time :3

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:53 »

Have recently been brainstorming some 'Venture Capitalist' Ideas for AI, where by we help people get set up with a project/etc and take a cut of the profits till investment has paid for itself.

It's still rather vague though. XD

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:28 »

Long layover is long.

Silver, whatever gave you these ideas?

They might use some of their illicit profits to open free clinics and fund social programs in impoverished communities on planets and stations in the Fed. (Perhaps said clinics are also used for less altruistic purposes.)
What's that now?

Perhaps a group of Serps that are legitimately interested in doing 'good' (and helping to establish a power base among the local poor in their area).
You don't mean...

Some of them might even be from Placid, and disillusioned with the Fed.
By my boots!

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2010, 12:41 »

Clearly I need to read IGS more  :D

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2011, 18:16 »

I would not consider Serpentis "pirates" in the standard definition.

Instead, I see them as illegal corporate paramilitaries. Their focus is on booster production and feeding the narcotics market in the Federation, not pillage/plunder, or in the case of Cartel/Guristas, conquering territory by claiming tribute. Their focus is not power in this regard. Take a look at the extent of the Serpentis, just a constellation, yet they are able to give the second-largest nation a run for their money. This is contrasted with the Angels and Guristas outrightly controlling an entire region each.

I see it as the Serpentis attempting to leverage in on the Federation's business community through fronts...maybe the SDII have trouble with them...

"Agent, we need you to infiltrate this warehouse owned by GenericCorp. Obviously, we can't just go in because we'll be breaking the law, the free flow of business and all that, since we don't have any proof. We need you to hack into their secure computers and find evidence that they are actually a front for the Serpentis, supplying narcotics to this area"

This is contrasted with the more generic piratisms of the Angels/Guristas...

"Agent, the Guristas are plundering some village on a remote lowsec colony, go take care of it by eliminating them".

May be hindsight by CCP that they'd rather not call them pirates, but just rogue states.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2011, 18:35 »

Well, the Serpentis in particularly hired the Guardian Angels as their security force. So rather than think of them as a paramilitary per se, I tend to view them as something like a megacorp gone bad who's moved out to where they won't have so much interference with those pesky government regulations.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2011, 19:19 »

Well, the Serpentis in particularly hired the Guardian Angels as their security force. So rather than think of them as a paramilitary per se, I tend to view them as something like a megacorp gone bad who's moved out to where they won't have so much interference with those pesky government regulations.

This is close to what my view has always been, I think.

Speaking of Megacorps, what about deniable cooperation between the Serps and a Caldari Megacorp?

NOH, perhaps? I could see SuVee or even Ishukone too. Again, this might be a deniable connection, perhaps even a corporation under the megacorp umbrella doing something on its own initiative.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2011, 05:05 »

Well IRED did buy all my drugs at one point.  :D

What interests me at the moment is I've looked over a few Serpentis Missions/Complexes, and a lot of them seem to have nation ships in them.
Whilst I'm not really happy to 'jump on the bandwagon' so to speak, I'm wondering what the connection is.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:35 »

Milo, do you mean that the Serpentis missions and plexes have Sansha ships in them, or something else?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2011, 10:42 »

Several missions against Serpentis have Sansha rats in them. There's a L2 (or maybe it's L1) storyline that has some, and there's at least one L1 mission that does as well that I know of off the top of my head.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2011, 12:11 »

Vieve

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2011, 13:18 »

Several missions against Serpentis have Sansha rats in them. There's a L2 (or maybe it's L1) storyline that has some, and there's at least one L1 mission that does as well that I know of off the top of my head.

It's the Serpentis L1 "Seek and Destroy".  Dropbear advised me some time ago not to read too much into the Sansha presence in that and other Serpentis missions (yep, I did ask him about it), since it's likely just an artifact of the mission designer's(s') NPC ship balancing.

(However, I do think it'd be awesome if there was a Serpentis-Sansha connection, even if one was trying to destroy the other.)
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2011, 13:20 by Vieve »

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2011, 14:24 »

The Serpentis cult is the Aenebra and the pertinent prime fiction is the article found here: http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1955&tid=5

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2011, 14:38 »

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2011, 14:43 by Julianus Soter »
Pages: [1] 2