Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that wooden furniture is very expensive in space? (p. 89)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Using Evelopedia IC  (Read 6403 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Using Evelopedia IC
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:45 »

The problem with EVElopedia is that the view of the New Eden that it tries to portray is scientific and therefore truthful.

The fun part is that there is at least four big different cultures that will perceive the information portrayed in EVElopedia completely differently.

Therefore I would think that trying to win an IC argument by linking to a EVElopedia article is nothing short of lazy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:50 »

The problem with EVElopedia is that the view of the New Eden that it tries to portray is scientific and therefore truthful.

The fun part is that there is at least four big different cultures that will perceive the information portrayed in EVElopedia completely differently.

Therefore I would think that trying to win an IC argument by linking to a EVElopedia article is nothing short of lazy.

I love it when this happens. It's happened to me a bit regarding the first Gallente/Caldari war, people have linked me the articles on it and went 'see, this proves I'm right' and I get to point out how this is incorrect and then offer the side of the argument relevant to my point, because there is generally nothing that our-right states that I am wrong in that regard.

Using the Evelopedia IC can be a can of worms, but on occasion it can enhance the argument or conversation by bringing up facts that are generic and somewhat unbiased - how this is then used is another issue, but I've found that most entries allows for at least some wiggle-room and let's you utilize it. As long as people keep in mind the IC/OOC divide and don't assume to tell me that their toons somehow know info that they would never have access to, and try to lord that info over me to somehow prove their position correct.

An example I can recall happened recently where someone claimed to be in touch with Heth's private and secret corporate doctor and knew about his illness and so on. That whole thing was very  :roll: :bash: to me.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:19 »

For the record, this discussion has nothing to do with the validity of using content from the site for in-character debate/discussion, but how the material is delivered. Consider a question posed in character, "Who is The Rabbit?", and a potential answer to that question:

:arrow: "http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Korako_Kosakami"
:arrow: "He's only one of the most notorious outlaws in New Eden. I think he kidnapped some ambassador."

It's not to say either one of these approaches are invalid or 'somehow wrong', but personally I'd find the latter a better opportunity for discussion from individual pilots in what they know of the The Rabbit rather than simply reading it from a Wiki article. As a player who enjoys immersion, I want to see the universe from my and other character's perspectives, not just what's written in a generic information dispensing platform called YARR.

That's pretty much what I said.

Linking sources after a constructed argument, why not, but just the link, it's quite... bad form, imo. For reasons Lallara stated above, too. And like Bloodbird said, I do not mind either since I can make my character have a different interpretation of the thing. After all, I am used to do it A LOT ALL THE TIME with scriptures.

I usually resort to linking evelopedia only when people ask me for sources.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:30 »

Malcolm frequently cites EVElopedia, news articles and other sources in his arguments when challenged on them. I am very careful to try and make sure I only speak on what I think is IC believable and reference only things written from an IC viewpoint. (For example, I don't cite information about the Broker).

It's definitely a difficult situation, but I think EVElopedia is there to enhance our grasp on lore and serve as a historical reference for our characters as long as we use it reasonably and don't anything in it as the Holy Bible of New Eden.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 11 Mar 2013, 07:45 »

Pretty much all information is biased.

To quote EVElopedia is to adopt someone elses view of New Eden instead of expressing your own.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:53 »

Pretty much all information is biased.

To quote EVElopedia is to adopt someone elses view of New Eden instead of expressing your own.
Well, given that train of thought, we should stop depending on Newton and rediscover Newtonian mechanics everyone for ourselves...

There are established facts, that's also true for New Eden. Many of them are found in the EVElopedia and probably those are the most important historical facts. The only problem I see with using EVElopedia is that it sometimes intermingles IC and OOC information.

If, for example, someone asks "Who is The Rabbit?" and to the answer "He's only one of the most notorious outlaws in New Eden. I think he kidnapped some ambassador." someone responds: "Don't lie, there is no Rabbit, these are all children's tales!" you can either quote a source to validate that the Rabbit really exists or do a 'my word against his word' fight.

I don't think there is much of a way around using sources like the EVElopedia, News Articles, etc. ICly, if the established background of EVE is questioned.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:00 »

Responding to Mercy:

Using the Evelopedia as a first-line immediate answer is different from using it as a backup source of proof; I totally agree that simply responding to a question right off the bat with a link is rather silly.

On the other hand, responding to someone else being silly or even a simple request for further, highly detailed information is an entirely different thing, something I am far more comfortable with. To work with the example you presented...

"He's only one of the most notorious outlaws in New Eden. I think he kidnapped some ambassador."
"Oh really? How'd that happen?"
"Uh, can't remember offhand. Let me bring the reports up..." *Link* "Looks like he gassed the bodyguards..."

etc etc
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2013, 10:40 »

And what if that character's perspective is to research and provide sources in the course of arguing their case?
If, for example, someone asks "Who is The Rabbit?" and to the answer "He's only one of the most notorious outlaws in New Eden. I think he kidnapped some ambassador." someone responds: "Don't lie, there is no Rabbit, these are all children's tales!" you can either quote a source to validate that the Rabbit really exists or do a 'my word against his word' fight.
The above examples are where I see a slippery slope, when players start to bible-fight over content (in character) citing player resources simply to win arguments. In my original post on the topic, I linked a thread about Seriphyn getting arrested, but the people who replied were more interesting in proving that that couldn't possibly happen rather than addressing the topic itself.

And to address Samira's point, New Eden has trillions of people living within the star cluster. Citing Dr. Ferunda Tanbaav's analysis of wormholes could include all sorts of theories. Renown anthropologist Mikala DuVries probably has an observation or two about Jovians, and Retired Admiral Gurlo Morsalis treatise on the influence of Capsule pilots in starship combat tactics has plenty to say about ship crews.

And if you take Nico's point that if anyone can make up sources, it's your character's word against theirs, why is that bad? What do you win proving the truth if the other person doesn't agree with it? It seems to me that this brand of competitive roleplay is more a battle for legitimacy between players than the characters themselves. If a subject is readily available on Evelopedia that people can look up, trusting a community of players to side with 'canon' ensures that fact will prevail. It simply relies on a tiny morsel of trust in your community to speak up.

I realize that roleplayers maintain a higher standard for immersion than the average EVE-player (whatever that is), and there are always going to be players who push the barriers of credibility. I'm quite sure we all have our cringe-worthy experiences, including discussions about Earth, claims of being Heth's daughter, half Jovian, or transported from Battlestar Galactica. Playing judge concerning the legitimacy of other player's roleplay starts with Jamyl's love child and ends with local police have no jurisdiction over us, you're just making it up!.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2013, 15:04 »

I've seen several situations in which the Evelopedia has been used IC.

The third person omniscient view of the Evelopedia has the result that anyone who expresses an opinion on something, e.g. Early Amarrian history, if their opinion does not exactly match what is written in the Evelopedia, then people use it as an angle to attack the player.

E.g.
Character A: "The Ni-Kunni benefited greatly from the contact with Amarr"
Character B: "No, that's not what happened. The Amarr completely eradicated half the population"
Character A: "Oh really, and what evidence do you have for that outlandish statement?"
Character B: "It's in the history books, you ignorant bigot. Not my fault if you don't know your history."

Because of the Evelopedia, Character B is an Expert on Early Amarr History. Even to the extent of knowing about things of which there is no evidence.

Because of the Evelopedia, any character who would have a reason to believe a view of history that is different from the view of history held by someone else, is called "stupid, ignorant, uneducated".

Because of the Evelopedia, a Gallente character cannot call it "The War of Caldari Aggression", while a Caldari character calls it "The war of Gallente Aggression", despite both characters having very valid reasons to call it that way. Both characters would have been raised in education systems that would tend to paint the opposition as the aggressor, as an example. But because of the Evelopedia, and it omnisciently stating that X started it, then the character whose world view does not match, is called stupid, uneducated, blinded by propaganda. Despite it being entirely reasonable for that character to see it that way.

That's what the Evelopedia does when people use it IC.
\o/

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2013, 09:37 »

Honestly, I think calling quoting as well as linking EVElopedia-Articles "citing player resources simply to win arguments" is pretty close to saying that people doing so are "doingitrong".

Why do I think so?
First, the implication that people use EVElopedia articles "simply to win arguments" means that those players are somehow more interested in 'winning arguments' that 'roleplay'. I'd respond to that, that 'winning arguments' might very well be part of roleplay and honestly I don't see how trying to win an arguments is generally such a bad thing. Also, I don't think that by quoting EVElopedia, everyone means to simply 'win the argument'. If I RP in EVE I don't want to debate with others if the Empire exists or not. There are established facts, they are - whether people like it or not - established by PF and thus in part by EVElopedia, being one of - if not the prime source for, e.g., the history of the factions , their demographics as well as their constitutions. Citing EVElopedia is thus, for me, a way to get a debate back on track.

EVElopedia leaves plenty of space for debates and discussions. I as a player don't feel like debating anything that some player made up for himself and that is in contradiction or stark contrast to PF, nor have my characters time to do so. Still, Wikipedia rarely states that "this was good for x" or "that was bad for x" or things like "the Gallente can't say it was a war of Caldari aggression". Rather than doing so, it gives such debates richness as it provides actual background to it. By the way, the Amarr didn't eradicate half the Ni-Kunni population - and quite honestly, I don't see why there would be a need to people claiming that: One can wonderfully debate on the benefits and downsides to the Ni-Kunni having been reclaimed along the lines of PF.

I think it's just outright wrong to say that quoting EVELopedia makes IC conflict impossible. The only thing is that you need to put some effort into getting to know what you debate about. Sources in general and that is also true for EVElopedia mean that you can't debate a topic simply "out of your ass". Some people might feel that this is hampering their RP. I think it leads to a more immersive, realistic world and more engaging and interesting debates.

And no, I don't simply trust that fact will prevail, I'm sorry for that I'm by far too much bitter vet: It makes sense to give a link to the facts as many people, even RPers, don't read all the PF available. I did only skim the extensive body of PF available about the Federation and the Caldari and the better part of the Republic.

We had people coming up with all sorts of claims about the Amarrian religion that were more appropriate for a debate about Abrahamic religions, which were quite popular among non-Amarrians, even though they stand in stark contrast to the PF we have about the Amarrian religion.
As the community was quite split on this matter I don't put much trust into it, no. Honestly, I think it's quite stifling for Amarr RP that people rather debate Abrahamic religion than Amarrian and yes, I think that pushing that onto the Amarrians is on par with claiming to be the only child of Otro Gariushi. In my experience if someone is opposed to another faction there is a good chance that they will rather jump on the bandwagon that is rolling against said faction, than first to check whether it holds up in regard to PF. People just don't mind what the PF is. That's not to say that their characters shouldn't cheer in support for every straw-man put out there. But yes, in that case their characters make the impression of being uneducated at least and stupid at worst. Or should, at least. If no one is noticing it because everyone is ignoring the PF then I'm feeling like I can't enjoy this game with this PF and a community that doesn't care. Thus, I just throw in some linkies every now and then. I also enjoy the provided links by people who specialize in other parts of PF. After reading it, I'm still free to portray my char as being as ignorant as I like or to come up with sophisticated points to engage the topic - or to not engage at all.

The claim that "Playing judge concerning the legitimacy of other player's roleplay starts with Jamyl's love child and ends with local police have no jurisdiction over us, you're just making it up!" is a slippery slope indeed: In the sense of being a classical fallacy. Is there a necessity that judgement on the claim that someone is Jamyl's love child will lead to judging every tinsy pinsy bit of RP? I really don't think so. Sure, not allowing any freedom in RP is wrong. Similarly allowing every freedom in RP is wrong, there are established facts in EVE, there is a PF and people should stick to it. Therefore, the solution isn't in never ruling something out nor in always ruling something out, but in ruling out what is worthy to be ruled out (PF gives a good idea of that) and not to rule out what doesn't need to be ruled out.

Thus providing ICly a link to PF (that is that which we all should adhere to anyway) can't be that bad, imho.

As to the second point that EVElopedia is a 'player resource'. I agree that it is, but I don't see that 'player resource' means 'OOC'. In my opinion a 'player resource' can be OOC as well as IC. There are several good reasons to look at certain parts of EVElopedia as accessible to our characters, among those that things like the general history of a faction should be, reasonably, be accessible in an encyclopedic article and that's a thing the EVElopedia provides.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #25 on: 12 Mar 2013, 10:20 »

Honestly, I think calling quoting as well as linking EVElopedia-Articles "citing player resources simply to win arguments" is pretty close to saying that people doing so are "doingitrong".
I think it's more an opportunity to discuss constructive alternatives to linking articles directly from evelopedia in-character. I'm assigning value to the idea of citing sources using evelopedia links directly, in addition to using immersive methods to relay the same information in-character. I place greater value on the latter technique higher than the former, but I haven't told anyone what they do is 'wrong'. 

I am trying to convince people that my perspective has some merit. Whether you agree or not is entirely your opinion!

Why do I think so?
First, the implication that people use EVElopedia articles "simply to win arguments" means that those players are somehow more interested in 'winning arguments' that 'roleplay'. I'd respond to that, that 'winning arguments' might very well be part of roleplay and honestly I don't see how trying to win an arguments is generally such a bad thing. Also, I don't think that by quoting EVElopedia, everyone means to simply 'win the argument'. If I RP in EVE I don't want to debate with others if the Empire exists or not. There are established facts, they are - whether people like it or not - established by PF and thus in part by EVElopedia, being one of - if not the prime source for, e.g., the history of the factions , their demographics as well as their constitutions. Citing EVElopedia is thus, for me, a way to get a debate back on track.
If your character is at the point where they need to prove the Amarr Empire exists, there probably wasn't much of a debate to get back on track. It would be a bit like having a chat with someone who didn't believe the Holocaust (Godwin?) happened, the earth is flat, or that we never really traveled to the moon (it was just an elaborate studio!). It's hard to have a conversation with crazy people.

lallara zhuul

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:32 »

I think the problem here is the EVElopedia itself.

If it would be like Wikipedia, it would have a list of sources that it builds the view that it expresses as factual.

It does not.

It uses the 'the third person omniscient view' which is not present anywhere in real world, except in propaganda.

Either EVElopedia is propaganda, or a collection of very badly written scientific articles.

What also muddles the matter is the fact that the lore can only be modified by CCP employees and volunteers, and as far as I can tell from the PF, they work for the CONCORD.

If CONCORD is not run by hidden agendas, then what is.

... also the Newtonian physics thing is a funny thing, EVE doesn't really follow them.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:50 »

Well, given that train of thought, we should stop depending on Newton and rediscover Newtonian mechanics everyone for ourselves...

There are established facts, that's also true for New Eden. Many of them are found in the EVElopedia and probably those are the most important historical facts. The only problem I see with using EVElopedia is that it sometimes intermingles IC and OOC information.

I disagree completely. EVElopedia are not established facts, CCP Chronicles are not established facts.

What sources would you accept? If I make up a website that describes an opposing view, would you accept it? Or would you go: 'you cannot go against what is mentioned in EVElopedia'. Because that is what most people tend to do, because they consider the EVElopedia ratified by a higher source (a word directly from God if you will)

I don't think there is much of a way around using sources like the EVElopedia, News Articles, etc. ICly, if the established background of EVE is questioned.

This is the thing I dislike especially. People using OOC sources to shut up someone opposing view IC, by adressing and trying to convince the players of the other characters directly, instead of trying to convince the other characters.

As I said, my character is not a believer in that the EVElopedia is to EVE as the Bible is to Christianity. You can argue with what is written there, and you can question the veracity. I think its bad form to use it, as you are throwing the weight of its OOC origin as a reinforcement of its IC veracity.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:54 »

By the way, the Amarr didn't eradicate half the Ni-Kunni population - and quite honestly, I don't see why there would be a need to people claiming that: One can wonderfully debate on the benefits and downsides to the Ni-Kunni having been reclaimed along the lines of PF.

Article about Ni-Kunni:
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ni-Kunni

Direct quote from article:
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ni-Kunni#Arrival_of_the_Amarr
An early landing crew was massacred and sacrificed, leading the following ships to massacre the entire city-state and declare the entire ethnicity worthy of no more than destruction and eternal slavery, leading to the eventual destruction of their very identity

Reference for that quote:
http://community.eveonline.com/background/potw/default.asp?cid=08-12-08
On the Ni-Kunni homeworld, for example, one whole continent was inhabited by a fierce indigenous people who were judged worthless for anything other than the most lowly slave castes. Their rich culture and heritage has long since been eradicated and their people reduced to mere half-breeds scattered among the countless multitudes.

That particular chronicle thing, is of course, a top secret FIO report. Which people magically know the contents of.

the Original Source for much of the Ni-Kunni, were stories written by Yoshito Sanders:
http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=378298
http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1035631
http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=946690

The Lost Tribe of Mishi, I remember well, because that story, was also quoted in a discussion about the Ni-Kunni. Someone was arguing about ill-treatment of the Ni-Kunni, using that story as a source.

You see where this is going ?

People are so desperate to say "the amarr are wrong and evil" and to put down any amarr character, that they used fiction pieces as proof.

And the disappointing thing is, that these were people that I had previously thought much better of.

It's why "Amarr RP is Insular" is a Thing. Time and Time again, people playing amarr characters are insulted OOC, because they do not accept as the Unquestionable Truth, stories that are on the evelopedia, or that people have written, the contents of which cannot reasonably be known by any character.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 12 Mar 2013, 14:37 »

As long as something is written down in the evewiki in a CCP official page (that can only be edited by CCP and official groups), it is part of the OOC Canon for me, or PF. Be it from an old fan made fiction or pure CCP material, I just can't put into question the validity of that, even if things like cloning are constantly drastically changing, which is annoying like hell.

If that is an IC material, that is another story. I am not sure what to think of it. All points and concerns raised sound valid to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5