Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a principle drug booster of Sansha's Nation?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vladimir Putin and Federation Presidents  (Read 3436 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: Vladimir Putin and Federation Presidents
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:07 »

Ooh!  We tried a bit of that too...

Doesn't work for everyone? v0v

Could be an Eastern bloc thing.

In any case, I don't really think of Foiritan or Roden having developed this sort of romanticized/heroic image.  Seems to be the sort of thing reserved for leaders who have no plans of leaving office or losing the next election... plans that often go hand-in-hand with the means to ensure that outcome regardless of nominally democratic institutions.  If only we saw more of Roden in the IC news...

Wait, what IC news?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:12 »

Seri, um, why do you think that could be Gallentean? Besides the fact that your character would like to be Putin, that is. :P

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:26 »

Putin is a man unto himself. I don't think the Gallente can hold a candle to the man. Nor, for that matter, can Bush. Let's not forget this was the guy who strong-armed all the nascent "oil billionaires" of Russia out of business, and the people liked that. (Truth be told Russia needs a guy like that to lead the country. In contrast to the Gallente, who just need good leadership and not necessarily "tough" leadership.)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2011, 12:56 »

If Putin was Caldari I'm fairly certain the competing CEOs would buy their corporations into his.

Alternatively,

vs

[spoiler]You know who you must serve now[/spoiler]
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #5 on: 04 Apr 2011, 14:12 »

I played in a really long-term geopolitical game as Russia, and the one thing I remember about it was that no matter how strange I made it, reality would always trump.

I think it was the day that Dmitry Medvedev released a video blog where he compared Ukraine to a wayward child that should be returned to the fold. He was dressed funereally, all in black, and standing on a balcony overlooking the Black Sea, Russian warships steaming in the distance.

There is honestly no way anyone could make this shit up. :D

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 04 Apr 2011, 14:58 »

I have a hard time imagining Gallentean politicians being rough-and-tumble bear-killers. Putin is stand-alone.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 04 Apr 2011, 15:07 »

We all know he's Minmatar, anyway. ;) :P :D

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2011, 04:56 »

Yea, Putin is one of his kind.  ;)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: 05 Apr 2011, 05:52 »

Seriphyn makes assumptions.

Putin does not approve.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2011, 10:27 »

Putin would make his own empire, composed of himself and an army of trained bear capsuleers.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:09 »

Putin == The Mittani, c/d?

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:50 »

Putin's style of leadership requires centralized control of quite a few state and media organizations and a quasi-dictatorship that I dont see happening in the Gallente.  Putin's style of heroic image crafting wouldnt work in the face of constant tabloid coverage and intense media scrutiny that I would imagine constitutes the Gallente media.  Strong men like poverty, instability and/or economic upheaval for their people (that they can blame on other factors/people), at least while they solidify power, it makes them willing to look to and accept extreme measures. The Gallente havent seen a lot of that, at least as far as I know.  

Russia has a tradition of leaders creating and promoting a glorified image (Stalin comes to mind, Peter the Great, etc), Putin's no different, just really good at it (as any ex-KGB agent likely would be).  Gallente seem to lack that tradition as well. (That said, Roden doesnt seem too terribly far off)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Apr 2011, 14:23 »

I'd have to disagree, Gottii. The thing that really fueled Putin's power is the fact that the quality of life for the average Russian rose pretty much constantly during his terms as President. He was wildly popular when first elected, at a time when he had not yet established control over Russian media. Chekist control over media (and industry) came later.

Look at the rise of the fascist Gallente government following the N.R. bombings on Caldari Prime. The typical Gallente was terrified that their home would be next, and they were willing to do anything to safeguard it. The same thing happened recently when Blaque was very nearly elected President.

The interesting thing about Putin's Russia is that it really isn't a traditional dictatorship. Rather, it's a State-sponsored corporate confederation. The relationship between the various State-owned (or State-sponsored) corporations and the government is something fairly new. You could make an argument that it's similar to the Caldari State, except that the Caldari State doesn't have a strong centralized government that counterbalances the power of the megacorporations.
Pages: [1] 2