Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kiaor was a notable Minmatar historical figure attributed with saying, "Those whom you hate so fervently, you must have once loved so deeply."

Author Topic: Presenting "In the Garden" by Candra  (Read 2734 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Presenting "In the Garden" by Candra
« on: 09 Feb 2012, 17:48 »

Another year, another commission for those with more money than sense! :D

Clickie! (many thanks to Sofia Roseburn for hosting the full, print-size 3000x4000 version)

A few artistic objectives with this one. This time, I wanted to focus on the character of Anette Inhonores, who I've been slowly developing over the past year now, definitely as an independent character as opposed to typical Child Plot Device, having her own unique personality and flaws. The reason for picking Candra again was purely for consistency, and the fact that I still enjoy looking at the original portrait. For those wondering, the older picture, Anette is aged 9, whereas this one is aiming more for 12-14 for some longevity (character is currently 11).

The second was looking at an "updated" Gallentean traditional school uniform, whatever they may be (I fully suspect it depends on locale...lack of uniform is 'freedom' blahblah). The beret came obvious as a lolGallentefrenchie thing, with the blazer and pleated skirt being lifted from contemporary British designs, with a more post-contemporary cut at the buttoning area. The boots, of course, are meant to be very much sci-fi/EVE, and be the most futuristic element of the outfit.

The garden and nebula was something I let Candra go wild on, and she's done a fantastic job. The detail on some of the plants are amazing. While it might not strictly fit within EVE (the nebula too), it definitely is "art within art", in the sense of it perhaps being a photoshoot for some purpose of another. On the other hand, I did picture the plants/flora being taken from a variety of different worlds and being left to come together in this environment. Maybe the postured marshlands of Gallente Prime look like this?

Anyway, hope you enjoy.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Presenting "In the Garden" by Candra
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2012, 01:55 »

For some reason the uniform reminds me of the Dune series from 2000.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:23 »

It's the art style, and the illumination of the eyes.

Verone

• Dirty Gurista Loyalist
  • Egger
  • :3
    • Veto Corp.Com
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2012, 15:34 »

Nice artwork.

Coincidentally, I started playing Dune II : The Battle For Arrakis via DosBox a couple of weeks ago again :D

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2012, 15:51 »

Nice artwork.

Coincidentally, I started playing Dune II : The Battle For Arrakis via DosBox a couple of weeks ago again :D

Oh fuck me sideways now I want to do that too. No multiple unit selection. No context sensitive mouse commands. Practically no real graphics at all. The very best RTS game of it's time... and yes, it was the very first of the genre. On second thought, I don't think I could play it again. The innovations in user interface from those days to now would break me. Dune 2000 maybe... or maybe Emperor: Battle for Dune/Arrakis/whateveritwascalled.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2012, 11:54 »

I remember you showing the non-colored version. Damn and I thought that was awesome already. For those now wanting something similarly done, is the artist willing to do commissions for ISK?

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2012, 17:36 »

Nice artwork there. She does a wonderful job. Though, I saw what she has listed price wise for her services, and I gotta say this.

You're nuts, man.   :P

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2012, 21:04 »

I remember you showing the non-colored version. Damn and I thought that was awesome already. For those now wanting something similarly done, is the artist willing to do commissions for ISK?

:) Unfortunately, no. She doesn't play EVE, and is a professional, so it's all $$$

Nice artwork there. She does a wonderful job. Though, I saw what she has listed price wise for her services, and I gotta say this.

inorite

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2012, 21:51 »

The aging of the character from the first portrait to the second was very effective.  And I agree, the garden and exterior space scene in the window were well done and add a lot to the overall feel.  This is interesting as it presents very alien surroundings (high on sensory stimulation) to frame a fairly unorthodox subject (that uniform is extremely purple and the hat is frightfully large) who nevertheless wears a very subtle human expression on her face.  The adults' open smiles in the first portrait seemed perhaps not quite genuine.  Here, as she offers a faint closed smile, maybe we're seeing in the daughter some level of private reservation or emotional temperance that suggest a maturity beyond her years?  I could see that.  I'd also be willing to believe that her expression represents a terrifying sterile and abject boredom with the universe brought on by routine overstimulation, but probably the former.

In any case, another great artwork!

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2012, 12:39 »

Yes, yes yes, the child is still cute, but as a gardener I have to ask! Where did you get those plants?  :lol:
Nicely done, excellent work.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2012, 13:39 »

How much ? That kind of things can be pretty expensive.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2012, 14:33 »

For some reason the uniform reminds me of the Dune series from 2000.

Straight up Sardukar purple for Anette too.

Interestingly the garden reminds me of the one in Arakeen Palace in the original Dune game too.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."