Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When EVE first launched, the highest and most dangerous NPC imaginable was a 50k Cruiser?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hello, and What's Going On?  (Read 3289 times)

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
Hello, and What's Going On?
« on: 28 Feb 2012, 11:33 »

First off, hello again!

To those that know/remember/heard-cautionary-tales-about me: It's good to be back and see you all again. Shame about those I'm not seeing, but I suppose I'm in no position to criticize on that point, eh?

In any case, I've returned! And I am completely lost! On the long list of questions I have...

Where did Ushra'Khan disappear to?
Where did Star Fraction disappear to (And who do I have to thank for it)?
How in the name of the King did the Curatores manage to take back Providence?
Why was SCOPE IC news discontinued, and what petitions can I sign to try and get it back?

And just to do a little give-and-take on the information transaction...

Yes, Drasden is me.

Jakiin isn't posting on the IGS because either A) Drasden made him promise not to as part of several deals struck (IC) or B) My sense of dramatic timing (OOC), take your pick.

I haven't given up on my impossible dream of a pirate-free Khanid, I've just switched tactics to buying my way toward the goal instead of doing the dirty work myself.

I plan on returning to Jakiin's original style: Impish little Amarrian truth-seeker. Due to me becoming CDO of the Vanguard, I'm afraid I rather dropped this in favour of supporting my political allies. While this is all good in terms of practicality it's just not as interesting to play or, it seems, watch.

Yes, I'm here to stay. I previously left due to RL issues that have since been resolved.

In summary: Hello, and what's going on?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Hello, and What's Going On?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:03 »

Ooooh, a Jakiin. Very good to see you again!

They moved on to other 0.0 after -A- steamrolled Provi. I think they're off in Russian space at the moment.

No clue, actually. Think they're out in Placid? *Pokes Jade.*

Short version: The Provi Fight Club (the alliances that followed -A- installed) either decided to move out or weren't the best (at holding sov, or in general).

Long version: The Sanctum Nerf, which returned Providence to its backwater status, meant that with a couple exceptions most of the larger alliances became decidedly uninterested in sticking around and either moved out or sold their space to CVA. The smaller, pseudo-pirate alliances, either got booted by a reformed Providence Holders who had spent the interim period getting their plans sorted, or decided to move/sell out as well. Oh, and TEST alliance decided to boot Chribba from 9UY because they're TEST, and then wandered off to kill Russians.

Why was SCOPE IC news discontinued, and what petitions can I sign to try and get it back?

Because the fiction/content team is tiny compared to their workload, and both ISD volunteers and CCP devs were/are busy with live events, writing the Evelopedia Fiction section, or in Dropbear's case getting married at the moment. To be fair to them, the Evelopedia Fiction Portal is truly a thing of beauty, but yes, the loss of news articles is painful.

Jakiin isn't posting on the IGS because either A) Drasden made him promise not to as part of several deals struck (IC) or B) My sense of dramatic timing (OOC), take your pick.

...probably a good idea. The IGS seems to be in unusually high poor form lately, even for the IGS.

I haven't given up on my impossible dream of a pirate-free Khanid, I've just switched tactics to buying my way toward the goal instead of doing the dirty work myself.

I plan on returning to Jakiin's original style: Impish little Amarrian truth-seeker. Due to me becoming CDO of the Vanguard, I'm afraid I rather dropped this in favour of supporting my political allies. While this is all good in terms of practicality it's just not as interesting to play or, it seems, watch.

Good luck with this! Will be good to have another Amarrian back.

Yes, I'm here to stay. I previously left due to RL issues that have since been resolved.

Very glad this is dealt with. Never fun to be dragged away from something you like by RL issues.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:19 »

Currently in Geminate, holding joint sov of a few constellations with a particularly bad alliance (going from the one time I met them, where they brought guardians as logi for a blaster Naga fleet. There was also a U'K there in an RR fit armour tempest.  :roll: ) named Pinked. At this point, as far as I am able to tell, both U'K and CVA have more or less entirely given up on being mainly RP alliances. I only know of one corp in CVA that is, and none in U'K.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 01 Mar 2012, 00:29 »

Herrro :) *acts surprised*

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2012, 01:48 »

Yeah, the Pinked guys they're pets of are spectacularly terrible actually.  Spent a few days out in their systems this week and blops dropped a couple of them before intentionally springing their ham-handed attempt at a trap to see what would come. 

They're nice in local at least.  v0v

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #5 on: 01 Mar 2012, 02:37 »

Yeah, they wander about. Like all of the old 'loyalist' powers, they've moved on and away from all that (except EM, oddly enough, who still carry on the cause).

Haven't heard a peep in along time.

While the reasons given above are accurate in understanding how it was allowed, CVA got the systems back by paying ISK out the nose for them (at least the first dozen) in a series of facepalm moments wherein many billions were gladly given to the previous tenants who were already moving out anyway. It exists now as the 'place to go shoot doe-eyed carebears if you get bored' for many alliances in the south.

The two guys in the company who care about these things got tasked with other stuff.

Glad to hear you're back.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2012, 06:28 »

Welcome back! Good to see the Vanguard up and running again.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar 2012, 12:56 »

Quote from: Esna Pitojee
Ooooh, a Jakiin. Very good to see you again!
Quote from: Silas Vitalia
Herrro :) *acts surprised*
Quote from: Graelyn
Glad to hear you're back.
Quote from: Mammal Tafren
Welcome back! Good to see the Vanguard up and running again.

Thank you, good to be back. Taking an opportunity: The Vanguard is, at the current time, in a coma. I'm currently make preparations for  turning Torash Family Holdings from a vanity corp into an actual industrial organization (See: Buying my way to the goal, above).

I wish I could say I'm surprised that it only took a year without his CDO for this one *Points at Silas* to turn the KPV into an NBSI entity that blew up an Amarrian loyalist supercap, then burn down her estate and go heretic, but honestly... I'm only surprised it took that long.

Naturally this means that IC Jakiin is entirely ready to see Vitalia strung up by her ankles over a pit of hungry slaver hounds, but OOC I find the entire thing to be hilarious.

Quote from: Esna Pitojee
They moved on to other 0.0 after -A- steamrolled Provi. I think they're off in Russian space at the moment.
Quote from: Kalaratiri
Currently in Geminate, holding joint sov of a few constellations with a particularly bad alliance ... named Pinked. At this point, as far as I am able to tell, both U'K and CVA have more or less entirely given up on being mainly RP alliances. I only know of one corp in CVA that is, and none in U'K.
Yeah, they wander about. Like all of the old 'loyalist' powers, they've moved on and away from all that (except EM, oddly enough, who still carry on the cause).

Shame. EVE is so much fun to RP, even your ' enemies' ' fading interest is sad to see.

Quote from: Esna Pitoojee
No clue, actually. Think they're out in Placid? *Pokes Jade.*
Haven't heard a peep in along time.

Noted, thank you.

Short version: The Provi Fight Club (the alliances that followed -A- installed) either decided to move out or weren't the best (at holding sov, or in general).

Long version: The Sanctum Nerf, which returned Providence to its backwater status, meant that with a couple exceptions most of the larger alliances became decidedly uninterested in sticking around and either moved out or sold their space to CVA. The smaller, pseudo-pirate alliances, either got booted by a reformed Providence Holders who had spent the interim period getting their plans sorted, or decided to move/sell out as well. Oh, and TEST alliance decided to boot Chribba from 9UY because they're TEST, and then wandered off to kill Russians.
While the reasons given above are accurate in understanding how it was allowed, CVA got the systems back by paying ISK out the nose for them (at least the first dozen) in a series of facepalm moments wherein many billions were gladly given to the previous tenants who were already moving out anyway. It exists now as the 'place to go shoot doe-eyed carebears if you get bored' for many alliances in the south.

Sounds about right.

Because the fiction/content team is tiny compared to their workload, and both ISD volunteers and CCP devs were/are busy with live events, writing the Evelopedia Fiction section, or in Dropbear's case getting married at the moment. To be fair to them, the Evelopedia Fiction Portal is truly a thing of beauty, but yes, the loss of news articles is painful.
The two guys in the company who care about these things got tasked with other stuff.
So does this mean that we have reason to believe that the articles will return at some point when the Fiction Portal has finished 'construction' and will only need to be maintained now and then? Or have we been told that the articles are permanently discontinued?

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #8 on: 01 Mar 2012, 14:52 »

Well hi there.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 01 Mar 2012, 16:45 »

So does this mean that we have reason to believe that the articles will return at some point when the Fiction Portal has finished 'construction' and will only need to be maintained now and then? Or have we been told that the articles are permanently discontinued?

In theory, yes - news stories will return SOON(tm). In practicality, however, this won't be anywhere in the near future unless DUST514 gives CCP the cash to expand their fiction team. At current, the fiction/content team(s) are responsible for:
- writing all the fluff, item descriptions, and any 'mission' content for Dust.
- doing live events, though they've more or less put these at the back since the 20% cuts put even more pressure on them.
- Writing the EVElopedia fiction articles. This is, frankly, their largest task; given that they are describing additions to the wiki in terms of expansions, I don't think we're going to see it end any time in the near future.

One thing to note is that Abraxas recently suggested that they would start publishing 'micro chronicles', as the old bi-weekly chronicles had also been nuked by the EVElopedia project.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 01 Mar 2012, 17:05 »

Well hi there.

n theory, yes - news stories will return SOON(tm). In practicality, however, this won't be anywhere in the near future unless DUST514 gives CCP the cash to expand their fiction team. At current, the fiction/content team(s) are responsible for:
- writing all the fluff, item descriptions, and any 'mission' content for Dust.
- doing live events, though they've more or less put these at the back since the 20% cuts put even more pressure on them.
- Writing the EVElopedia fiction articles. This is, frankly, their largest task; given that they are describing additions to the wiki in terms of expansions, I don't think we're going to see it end any time in the near future.

One thing to note is that Abraxas recently suggested that they would start publishing 'micro chronicles', as the old bi-weekly chronicles had also been nuked by the EVElopedia project.

You know the funny part is that CCP could probably get a good number of volunteers for helping them expand the backstory if they sent out a few casting calls to the player base. By the sounds of it, even if only a couple people pumped out articles/concepts that the PF team liked on a regular basis it would still remove a lot of their workload - or at least keep the rest of us feeling a little less worried about the future of EVE's in-character dimension.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 02 Mar 2012, 01:51 »

If you look at the EVElopedia fiction portal credits, the ISDers are already doing a great deal. The issue is, I think, that volunteer-produced stuff has to be factchecked by a dev (insert obligatory opinion about some players having a better grasp of the canon that a certain ex-dev here).

So, you can have multiple people writing stuff, but it bottlenecks up around having the devs check it over and possibly send it back for revision.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #12 on: 02 Mar 2012, 07:21 »

I think that at least some of them are mainly playing World of Tanks these days.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #13 on: 02 Mar 2012, 11:03 »

If you look at the EVElopedia fiction portal credits, the ISDers are already doing a great deal. The issue is, I think, that volunteer-produced stuff has to be factchecked by a dev (insert obligatory opinion about some players having a better grasp of the canon that a certain ex-dev here).

So, you can have multiple people writing stuff, but it bottlenecks up around having the devs check it over and possibly send it back for revision.

Hmm, I didn't actually know about the ISDers to be honest. Ah well: knowledge, the accumulation of, cue natural light refraction, etc.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 02 Mar 2012, 13:36 »

Regarding ISD, Mercury did put out a casting call about a month ago for applications. I'd suggest anyone interested find the devblog and send information declaring interest in applying. :)

Also Jakiin, they've written a -ton- of new PF regarding Khanid on the wiki page. He has a name now, and they even have a huge article on his evil brother's whole life  ;)

Go read!

Pages: [1] 2 3