Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small robots called "cleaner bugs" are used to keep space station areas free of refuse? (The Burning Life p. 74)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Shooter at Capitol Hill, Lockdown Underway  (Read 6640 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Shooter at Capitol Hill, Lockdown Underway
« Reply #15 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:13 »

A-10s, Anslo.

A-10s.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #16 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:20 »

Dream World: ALL THE A-10s.
Reality: Not happening.

I legit wonder how they'll stop this...or IF they can stop this, given the current state of response forces.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:24 »

threatening them with weapons.

Which I suppose explains why police are becoming more paramilitary and buying hardware originally intended for Bagahdad, Mosul, Kabul, Kandahar, and points in between.  You can't force people who themselves are armed to do anything unless you have bigger/more guns.

A-10s, Anslo.

A-10s.
Good luck finding hog pilots willing to shoot up US citizens who are not actively aiding the enemy.

Also, due to budget cuts A-10s are on the chopping block.

Even joking about the use of American airpower on fellow citizens worries me.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:30 »

You come up with a better, more workable solution to clear 3,000 semis off a major highway than the threat of tearing them to shreds with heavy military hardware, and I'll stop making wisecracks about it.

I also happen to think every single person in Congress who is a member of the Tea Party should be given the choice of being shot by a SWAT team or going to prison. It'd be the choice I'd get if I held someone hostage at gunpoint.

So. Yeah. We get it, people are pissed at the government. Tying up a major highway like this, which could have serious implications for the daily life-or-death situations that happen to people in this country where they have to get to a hospital, and fast, is something that should simply not be tolerated, full fucking stop, and I have no sympathy for people who would do that whatsoever.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013, 11:33 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #19 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:33 »

Personally, I like Morwen's bluntness about this. But yeah, the A-10s...eeeh meh. I dunno about using military on these guys. IF we had an EMP to disable the trucks sure. But since we don't, just prevent em from even launching.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #20 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:41 »

You come up with a better, more workable solution to clear 3,000 semis off a major highway than the threat of tearing them to shreds with heavy military hardware, and I'll stop making wisecracks about it.

Block the highway to bring the trucks to a stop, use police teams and national guard to literally pull the drivers from their trucks and place them under arrest, replace drivers with police/NG drivers, move the trucks off the road - all the truckers spend a night in jail and lose their CDL and jobs?

It's not difficult to get somebody out of a truck once the truck is stopped. With the trucks literally clogging themselves in, all the police need to do is stop the front of the procession.

THAT BEING SAID. This all depends on if it's legal to arrange this sort of protest. I'm fairly sure this truck thing is covered under peaceful protest civili rights, so they may not be doing anything illegal.

ALso, I'd like to point out that crushing this protest forcefully will touch off more protests in other parts of the country, escalating the situation. The best thing anybody can do here is listen to the protesters and consider what they have to say. Some of those congressmen and women should take a trip out there and address the gathered protesters, even if they don't agree. They aren't terrorists. They're citizens with a gripe, and it's the responsibility of a democratic government to at least listen and discuss the gripe, even if nothing will/can be done to resolve it.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013, 11:48 by Katrina Oniseki »

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:49 »

Welcome to our NWO police state. Prepare to be tazed.

Party on.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #22 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:52 »

Location, location, location.

Like I said. It's one thing to clog up the steps of city hall. It's another to do it to a major highway.

It's not a peaceful protest if someone gets hurt or dies because of it. And 3,000 semis blocking up 495 will be a very, very bad thing for anyone in the area who needs to get to a hospital fast that day - blocking off the highway won't just block off the highway, it will fuck up traffic for miles all around the area as people attempt to find alternative ways around it.

Which, in turn, will fuck things up for a lot of people beyond emergency responders.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Anslol

« Reply #23 on: 08 Oct 2013, 11:59 »

Yeah I don't think this is an approved/legal protest. 495 is the artery of DC. You lose 495, you lose easy access to the DMV. This means a few thousand cars pushing through city streets and side passes.

Trust me, living here I can say from first hand experience that this is NOT something you wanna see.

Also, if you stopped the trucks, you still stop the traffic and they still win. Gotta cut em off before they even deploy.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #24 on: 08 Oct 2013, 12:48 »

Also, if you stopped the trucks, you still stop the traffic and they still win. Gotta cut em off before they even deploy.

How do you propose you do that?

"Sorry, but you're a trucker and cannot get on this highway."

Anslol

« Reply #25 on: 08 Oct 2013, 12:51 »

I read a few articles stating where the truckers intend to gather before moving to 495. Interdict them at these meet up spots.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #26 on: 08 Oct 2013, 12:54 »

On this morning's news, it was said that the truckers would not be blocking emergency vehicle access.  So, if you're in an ambulance, you're fine.  If you're a woman in labor in the back of a car on the way to the hospital, you're probably not.

I'm definitely not going anywhere near D.C. this weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised (if this protest happens) if 66 gets backed up all the way to Front Royal.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013, 13:01 by Vieve »

Anslol

« Reply #27 on: 08 Oct 2013, 13:03 »

I have to take 495 to get to and from work. This crap better be prevented.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #28 on: 08 Oct 2013, 13:10 »

threatening them with weapons.

Which I suppose explains why police are becoming more paramilitary and buying hardware originally intended for Bagahdad, Mosul, Kabul, Kandahar, and points in between.  You can't force people who themselves are armed to do anything unless you have bigger/more guns.

I remember reading something that suggested that a lot of that kind of hardware was being offered to police departments at very, very low prices, just to get it out of Department of Defense warehouses and such ?

e.g. FREE! armoured vehicles!!! says a DoD agency, trying to offload some vehicles that the Army no longer need.
\o/

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 Oct 2013, 13:34 »

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good idea moving to this area.

It was not. Fuck this place. Really.

I remember reading something that suggested that a lot of that kind of hardware was being offered to police departments at very, very low prices, just to get it out of Department of Defense warehouses and such ?

e.g. FREE! armoured vehicles!!! says a DoD agency, trying to offload some vehicles that the Army no longer need.

AFAIK, the military is required to give/sell at a huge discount any old equipment that it isn't using to local law enforcement that can claim to have a need for it. Yes, the result it that our police look more like our military. It's just piling on the crappy relationship that most police have with the local population, which in turn makes everything worse.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5