Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Author Topic: The Last of Us  (Read 1657 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
The Last of Us
« on: 19 Jun 2013, 11:58 »

Every so often, a game tries to get all literary on us. Far Cry 3 tried and mostly failed-- though, to be fair, it's much more of a challenge for an open-world game.

"The Last of Us" succeeds in spades. The ending haunted my dreams all last night.

Furthermore, it's a fantastic game.

Any PS3 owner with a penchant for survival/horror, or just survival games, or just horror games, or stealth games, or gaming realism, or game design as art, should acquire a copy of this, stat. Just don't approach it expecting something bouncy and fluffy; this is not a light-hearted piece of work.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2013, 13:40 »

From what I have seen and others have said, it looks amazing...however, horror is not something I'm generally into so I will experience this game vicariously through others' experiences.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2013, 13:48 »

When I saw the gameplay video from PAX (iirc?) for this, I knew I wanted to play it... except for the whole PS3 thing being at odds with my rather pitiful paycheck.

Still want it, but without a PC version, odds of my playing it are slim to none. I may have to subsist on LPs on youtube, like I have for a number of other games I want to play but can't afford consoles for. :(
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2013, 14:46 »

Going to get it after work today. I waited to see if it was all just hype, but it seems nobody has anything bad to say about it.

I just hope I don't ruin all my pairs of pants, I still need to go to work tomorrow.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:00 »

I just hope I don't ruin all my pairs of pants, I still need to go to work tomorrow.

You wear pants when you game?
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:01 »

From what I have seen and others have said, it looks amazing...however, horror is not something I'm generally into so I will experience this game vicariously through others' experiences.

Frankly, if you ever played the "Thief: The Dark Project" cathedral level, you've already seen as much of horror as any game (and most movies) can offer, and it's not even horror genre.

Hammer haunts.... *shudder* And those things that just walk around like regular peasants unless they get a hint that you're nearby, at which point they start buzzing. First time I encountered one, I tried to clonk it with a blackjack before I realized it wasn't human.

Funny thing-- trying to knock a ghost unconscious doesn't work so well.

(As a side note, those last are one of the only game monsters that even dies creepily. Most video game monsters have the courtesy to evaporate into vapor, or fall apart, or reel and fall over, or explode. T:TDP ghostly peasants, or whatever they are, don't do any of that-- they're just gone. One frame they're staring at you with those huge colorless eyes, pale hands rising as your panic-thrown flash bomb hits the floor; next, nothing.)

(The hammer haunts themselves are even worse.)
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2013, 15:12 by Aria Jenneth »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2013, 15:51 »

Bleh.

I guess I'll have to watch it on youtube like for Uncharted. .__.

I know why they are always console exclusive though. Apologies accepted.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:17 »

Bleh.

I guess I'll have to watch it on youtube like for Uncharted. .__.

I know why they are always console exclusive though. Apologies accepted.

Have a 6 hour YouTube video.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2013, 13:49 »

Thanks for the link but I think I still prefer to live as much as possible of the game even if not playing it, I want at least to see the gameplay at the same time, and why this or this cutscene happens.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2013, 08:07 »

Thanks for the link but I think I still prefer to live as much as possible of the game even if not playing it, I want at least to see the gameplay at the same time, and why this or this cutscene happens.

The reason it's six hours long is for exactly that reason. It melds gameplay and cutscenes together in a cinematic fashion.

Shiori

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2013, 10:40 »

Just don't approach it expecting something bouncy and fluffy; this is not a light-hearted piece of work.
I was crying buckets before the actual title screen. gg, The Last of Us, gg.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2013, 16:58 »

Awesome story. The end is moving, and disturbing.

[spoiler]I was actually expecting a lot more gritty though. I was somewhat relieved. Nice how the pressure hooked me up at the end.[/spoiler]

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2013, 18:20 »

Played it for a few hours, gameplay is good, storyline seems to be a bit cliche, the banter and the writing is awesome.

Playing it on Hard is hard, there are a few things that do not work as advertised (Shiv Master perk to the max, shivs are not supposed to take damage when used against the clickers to break grapple but they do, last level of the listening perk does not seem to give you anything) nothing game breaking, just annoyances really.

I heard it takes quite a while for a playthrough and if you are a Trophywhore then it will take you ages to get it to platinum.

Kicks Bioshock Infinites ass to kingdom come with ease.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2013, 22:04 »

Played it for a few hours, gameplay is good, storyline seems to be a bit cliche, the banter and the writing is awesome.

Playing it on Hard is hard, there are a few things that do not work as advertised (Shiv Master perk to the max, shivs are not supposed to take damage when used against the clickers to break grapple but they do, last level of the listening perk does not seem to give you anything) nothing game breaking, just annoyances really.

I heard it takes quite a while for a playthrough and if you are a Trophywhore then it will take you ages to get it to platinum.

Kicks Bioshock Infinites ass to kingdom come with ease.

I think Shiv Master to the max just makes defensive use of a shiv to fend off a Clicker count as a normal shiv use (as opposed to breaking it outright-- you can get up to three normal uses per shiv, but Shiv Expert lets you trade a shiv to save your miserable hide). That's theory, though: I got it there, then never needed to shiv another clicker. May try again on replay.

Cannot verify one way or the other re: last level of Listening.

Can verify that I managed to trophy whore 5% of trophies on first playthrough.

Recommend finishing game before passing judgment on storyline. I can't quite call it a "subversion," unless by "subversion" you mean turning zombie survival horror into literature, but....

Um. Yes. Your expectations are being screwed with, and not in a simple, easily-condensed way.