Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hared Loudier is a former Quafe employee who once claimed an entire stockpile of Quafe beverages vanished through a wormhole before his eyes.

Author Topic: Gallentean "naturalist" stations (And probably stations in general)  (Read 3160 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

One of the things that interest me are the stations, and how they're like on the inside. We got some tidbits in the Burning Life, but the thing that interests me the most are the Gallentean stations, as they're the ones that look to emulate planetside the most. Whereas the Minmatar wouldn't honestly care and the Amarr would have large open halls in their stations, the Gallenteans are into their luxury and indulgences. The most common Gallentean station is the factory one...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

London is 45km across, this station here is 59km across. That biodome canton is going to be considerable in that regard. I argue that, though it appears translucent in space, that on the inside, it would likely emulate a normal planetary sky. It would literally be an arcology, with cars, buildings, and so on. The richest of the rich on station would likely live here. In the "middle" wealth strata of the station, it's likely what the old Gallente interior looked like before CCP fucked it up.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Here, there's skyscrapers and highways (and a blimp). The chronicle "Her Painted Selves" by Abraxas mentions the skyscraper the story is set on being one of the "tallest buildings on station" (another Abraxas chron talked about a couple shopping in a station street, and how the season was currently at winter, so everyone had coats and hats). TBL mentioned "townhouses and apartments" just like on planet, on a Gallentean station. The "lower" strata of station would likely be your more generic affair large corridors and habitation modules, etc. Maybe.

I would argue that, on the Gallente 5 station, the closed canton is concerned with all the ship traffic, docking bays, hangars etc. The open canton would be residential, with the areas I described present, and the remaining area being where the actual industry takes place. I'd say a big "maybe" on all of that, because it seems a bit disproportionate in terms of real estate assignment (knowing the Gallenteans, they wouldn't exactly be efficient in this regard probably)

Gallente 4 stations are the rarest unfortunately, but they give away a lot.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Here, actual Google earth planned cities can be seen, and this is likely to be your sci-fi affair of "cities in space". These are only operated by Combined Harvest, but there's likely to be countless other stations like these that aren't available to capsuleers (pleasure hubs tend to use this model).

It goes onto the idea of how a station is a "self-contained" entity. They appear as just nothing to us player-capsuleers, because we can travel between them in the space of just three clicks, but each one would have all the facilities present for a child to be born, grow up, get a job with either the station's owning corporation or the many (possibly hundreds) of smaller businesses that fill in auxiliary roles and so on.

It would be nice for CCP to consolidate info on this, it's all over the place. A little focus on the topic though, and it becomes pretty obvious what they're like.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

[quote author=Seriphyn link=topic=2196.msg28917#msg28917
It would be nice for CCP to consolidate info on this, it's all over the place. A little focus on the topic though, and it becomes pretty obvious what they're like.
[/quote]

you could apply that to everything in the canon Seri. CCP is notorious for being all over the place.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night

...I thought you were talking about stations where everybody was naked.

Which wasn't entirely unfeasible, given Gallente. /unhelpful.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal

...I thought you were talking about stations where everybody was naked.

I have to admit that was my first thought too!

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

better wording would have been 'naturalistic'

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

No, the word for nudist is "naturist", not "naturalist".

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

It appears in the "Did you Know?" thingy.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

* Casiella did that one.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

I don't know why, but i have this distant memory of reading something about these domes, in particular the Combined Harvest ones, indicating they as a corp had a good ammount of farm operations happening "in space", and on the other cases being related to community areas and "indoor parks".

As you mention, they could be more related to "entertainment" areas or other similar roles.

To me the beauty of the Gallente stations is they seem to be the most "open" and vivid of all the racial designs, with much more detail of inhabitable spaces and "windows", compared to the other types.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

I still want to know where those bottomless shafts go and what they're for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots

I still want to know where those bottomless shafts go and what they're for.