General Discussion > General Non-RP DUST 514 Discussion

Your opinion on DUST 514

<< < (8/8)

BloodBird:

--- Quote from: Morwen Lagann on 16 Sep 2013, 07:10 ---One upside Dust has over Planetside is that, well, it's on a single platform, the PS3. Which means if you buy a PS3, you can play it.

Can't guarantee that with a PC, as a number of Backstage users who play(ed) Planetside can attest.

--- End quote ---

I have no issue playing PS2 every day, in spite of it's issues. At this point it's my new main MMO, and I do love it for what it offers. Dust offers something similar, yet smaller and less accessible; you need a PS3 to play Dust, and at this rate the PS3 is soon to be obsolete - the vast majority of console-gamers will move to PS4 given what an utter debacle Xbox1 turned out to be, and guess what? Planetside 2 is coming to PS4. This means that console players who want a shooter get's two big options: Stick with the PS3 and a small and dwindling population to play Dust, or move on to the PS4 for a bigger population and a massive-in-scale alternative to Dust in the form of PS2. PS2's other strengths is that it's an open-world battlefield that never rests - it ebbs and flows as people log on and off, especially during the night, but it never really stops.

Unless CCP does something, anything, then as far as I can tell Dust will shrink up and eventually die, not solely out of a lack of effort on the part of CCP, but mostly the conditions on the gaming-market today. Releasing it as a PS3 exclusive was, IMHO, a huge fuck-up. Making it another arena-shooter with waiting lines in between matches was a mistake - even if they could hardly do anything else. Surely they can't make huge maps like in PS2 to represent the hundreds of worlds the battles will be on, even if many of those were air-less barren places where EVE players dumped their resource extractors and other players asked the Dusters to go fight.

The short and simple of it is that, unless CCP does something to deal with the bleak out-looks soon Dust won't amount to much beyond a niche little shooter tacked-on to EVE on a console only a handful bother to play on. That would be a crying shame, tbh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version