Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a principle drug booster of Sansha's Nation?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A problem with the concept of my character  (Read 1892 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: A problem with the concept of my character
« Reply #15 on: 02 Nov 2013, 17:15 »

Another Amarr stepping in to say that it is quite possible to run around with some rather heterodox beliefs without any major difficulties, provided you don't vomit them everywhere. Esna, for instance, is religious but holds some rather specificly different views on certain matters. He simply doesn't walk around speaking of them in public channels - or private ones, for that matter. I think he's only told a handful of people of his thoughts on this.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #16 on: 03 Nov 2013, 04:19 »

Secularism is a lot more 'acceptable' in the Kingdom, but as others have said, it works elsewhere too.  Of course, it's acceptable in the Kingdom because on some level they're all pretending :P

Also:

I'm not sure if they got rid of it as much as we house rule ignore it - at the end of the day it is likely that someone's initial body DID die.  And if you think "Well no, I jump cloned out!" - go reread the wiki on jumpcloning and you find out they ninja-edited it to say that they BIOMASS you when you do that.

So, like proper Amarrians, we just pretend it isn't real ;)

I called bullshit on that change when it was introduced and I still do.  As Morwen put it, when they let us remove implants ourselves, then I'll consider accepting that jumpclones result in biomassing.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 Nov 2013, 14:13 »

The problem comes in because I've been watching the IGS and The Summit in order to figure out where I can introduce my character. From what I can tell, it seems like there's little to no room for an essentially secular Amarr loyalist as every loyalist Amarr character I see is deeply religious and the backstory for the Amarr paints a picture of a society remarkably free of much variation in how genuine people's faith is.

So I want to ask folk's opinions about whether Ievan as he is currently imagined is a viable RP idea. Would I be better off rethinking him? Or even just scrapping the idea?

What you are seeing is merely the result of a successful propaganda campaign waged by the more religious characters. Every loyalist Amarr character tends to understand that when you act in public, its effective to display your faith to enhance your reputation with other loyalist characters. Privately, most characters tend to be a lot less zealous. So you are seeing a distorted image of what the respective characters actual motivations and positions are.

Playing a secular character is perfectly fine. You can get by no problem without ever taking a religious phrase into your mouth and no one will ever bother you because of it. However, perhaps your issue is that you want to play an outspoken atheist? If you do that, then yes, you will have a very difficult time ahead of you in the loyalist camp. Because as an outspoken atheist you are effectively a priest of a heretic religion.

And of course you aren't seeing much people who aren't appearing to be genuine in their faith, only stupid or insane people would publicly show they aren't genuine. That similar to positioning yourself as untrustworthy and a liar. Of course, we know EVE is full of untrustworthy people and liars, just as it is full of people who aren't genuine in their faith.

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 03 Nov 2013, 19:17 »

From one of eve chronicles:
"...The citizens of the Amarr Empire were not, whatever outsiders might like to believe, fanatics. They simply accepted faith, and had a tacit agreement among themselves not to violate its major tenets. Civilization, to them, worked much the same way."
source.

So based on that and my own understanding of Amarr Empire (taking it without a wagon of salt is not recommended =P) you can be whatever you like in private and/or with friends or people which you think are trustworthy. But going public with your notion will probably bring a lot of unwanted attention and angry looks.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 03 Nov 2013, 19:32 »

There's a difference between being religious and being a fanatic, anyway.
I don't know where the notion arose that Amarr need to be religious fanatics. Amarr are supposed to be highly educated. few religious people that are highly educated are fanatics.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 04 Nov 2013, 03:44 »

The notion simply arose from Reclaiming and slavery. The first thing that gets to mind is understandably fanatism, W40K, and the likes.

Added to that when people start to dig a little (but not enough), what they see is a bunch of religious inquisitional bodies like the TC and the Civic Court, without even speaking about the Speakers of Truth... Those are not, of course, but that tends to comfort players into their first impression.
Pages: 1 [2]