Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Entire community is babies!  (Read 7303 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Entire community is babies!
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:15 »

This topic is about babies and children, actually.

I noticed one issue with babies/childs in EVE RP is their tendency to be dirty plot devices. Even Anette Inhonores started out like that, was pretty lol when I think about it. "Best way to lure women in is with a cutesy daughter and boasting as an impressive single father!".

But now, I decided to develop her as her own character. Instead of being a cutesy girltrap, she's now very precocious, figuring that a life deprived of a mother and an often absent father would spawn this. She has, instead of warming up to every pretty young thing that comes along, a considerable Electra complex, ie. psychosexual competition with Seriphyn's girlfriend, and often jealousy, disliking other females in Seriphyn's life as they risk sucking attention away from herself to these lovers instead.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Anyway, creates far more interesting interactions; instead of some "aww cutesy" girl of Anette, she comes across as a serious challenger, as passively-hostile and intimidating as a full-grown adult, especially combined with the precocious personality. "Show me why you deserve to share my father's attention, woman".

But other times, I notice that children and babies are devices to be kidnapped in a giant game of blackmail. Or threatened, or used against teh ebil Amarrian slavers. Or maybe sometimes they're just background characters, never RPed or whatever, instead just off-handedly mentioned. Do you have any babies or children in your RP, and how are they portrayed, if at all? How do you feel/react about the pass-the-kidnapped vibe going on?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Entire community is babies!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:14 »

I have Arriana, although she's 15 and has a snarky teen thing going strong. And in a lot of ways, despite the fact that Nikita is supposed to be watching out for her, Arriana ends up watching out for Nikita. Which creates a...unique interaction dynamic. There's a lot of interest toying and sibling rivalries. Arriana is constantly mocking Nikita for being into women, and Nikita is constantly trying to keep Arriana from seeing men, mostly because she considers anyone who would be interested in her inherently unsafe. Which of course Arriana uses as a way to get under her skin 'find the most threatening looking guy and flirt with him to see what she does' type thing. But overall, they have a very interesting dynamic that I wish I could explore more, but Arriana and Nikita are on the same account due to money issues, making this somewhat tricky.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2011, 12:02 by Nikita Alterana »
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:30 »

I came for the babies, I was not disappointed

[spoiler=On topic]So for a combustible topic, how do people feel about in-game characters being portrayed as children (characters we make and play) when canon says they're pod pilots, etc.[/spoiler]
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 12:58 »

It's fine with me but be prepared for specific individuals to claim it's a hoax and a lie.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:34 »

It's fine with me but be prepared for specific individuals to claim it's a hoax and a lie.
:roll: Oh, that would never happen...

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 14:39 »

:roll: Oh, that would never happen...

I wouldn't claim that, but I wouldn't proactively interact with them either.    Similar to the way I'd avoid proactively interacting with a female toon who'd been married to eight different men in the last six months, had nine last names and had at least one child that some how aged years in a few months.   Or a male toon that is a geneticly engineered super soldier.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 14:51 by Hamish Grayson »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:34 »

Similar to the way I'd avoid proactively interacting with a female toon who'd been married to eight different men in the last six months, had nine last names and had at least one child that some how aged years in a few months.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.
\o/

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2011, 15:58 »

Mm, kids are fine. Capsuleer kids not so much. I can't see any organization using children for capsule training.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2011, 16:08 »

I can't see any organization using children for capsule training.

Well....

What about the idea of raising a child permanently inside of a capsule so that the sensory input from the capsule was the only sensation they'd ever known? I could see some group or other trying this. I can also imagine the resulting capsuleer's misery when the results turned out not to have any inherent advantage in the long run over more typical capsuleer training.

(As a rule, having been an experimental something-or-other becomes a lot more palatable when the primary consequence has more to do with personal suffering than practical advantage. "Escaped supersoldier" fails; "failed experiment put out to pasture" has a lot of potential.)
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 16:11 by Aria Jenneth »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2011, 16:25 »

damn Aria that's a really good idea...and I just happen to have a capsuleer breeding program that I'm fumbling around with making suck less IC. :D
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:04 »

Considering implant technology would need to be installed into the body of a pilot, the difficulty in putting one in an underdeveloped body seems...impractical and dangerous.  It's not to say that it wouldn't ever be tried (you can do what you want) I just have a difficult time with the idea.  Also, the adult nature of Eve makes me cringe at the idea of kids in game.   :P

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2011, 20:31 »

Considering implant technology would need to be installed into the body of a pilot, the difficulty in putting one in an underdeveloped body seems...impractical and dangerous.

Well, let me think. The human brain is the part that is most developed at birth, so that would be a help.

... There's also always the possibility of taking advantage of consciousness transfer technology: make a succession of osteoplastic-skeletoned clones based on the original body, which is kept on life support, have the kid jump from one to another as needed, like getting new pairs of shoes.

There are other possibilities, and a body that is never meant to move around much might be put to good use-- a skull socket with "room to grow into" strikes me as an amusingly twisted concept. Something like that image of that cybernetized human baby from "The Matrix."

It's a messed-up idea, yes. You'd have to play the part very, very carefully, though, to get the proper effect, and you'd immediately sacrifice a lot of the effect if you used Inarna, since that would immediately start leveling the playing field. (Also, it would be kind of hard to believe that this person had never walked in his or her life when even the most emaciated available body starts sashaying gracefully down the corridors.)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2011, 20:49 »

This could be solved with the simple application of EVE's solve-it-all, nanites.

These wee pod pilots could be engineered with an artificial organ that contains self-replicating nanites designed to work throughout the pod-child's life to gradually build up their implants in accordance with a long-term program to eventually reach a final stage as a fully-functioning pod pilot with implants to match.

And I'd find them as silly as rogue drones. But, it'd be an interesting idea. 
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Caspardian

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2011, 21:55 »

This thread is so babies, it's babies McIntyre.

But seriously, kids in capsules? I think that if most adults can't take the mental stress of a pod, there's no way that a kid could. Interesting idea though.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2011, 22:25 »

I'm gonna have lots of babies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4