EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Family Structure in Eve

<< < (2/6) > >>

Casiella:
You seem to presuppose any sort of cultural opposition to that sort of biotech, and I don't know that we can just say, "well the developers aren't very creative".

Now, I don't doubt that some weird stuff exists within the cluster: the bodymodder scene in TBL makes that quite clear. But (without having the book at hand, since I'm at the office) I seem to recall that, even within the fairly permissive Gallente society, that sort of thing received a great deal of popular disdain, much as it does in "mainstream" Western culture nowadays, or whatever passes for it anyway.

Ashar Kor-Azor:
In present-day mainstream culture, you have a yuk factor for things like artificial heart valves and pacemakers, for example. But few'd go without one if their doctor told them it was life and death.

In Amarr society, life extension is a cultural bulwark. So is a sense of bodily purity.

Split the difference on that one for meh :P

Louella Dougans:
There's ingame evidence for Gallente having marriages and also angry mother-in-laws.

Amarr, has mention of more traditional structure, there was a thing in one of the articles about the alliance tournament (the one when it talked about ship crews), mentioning someone (a Khanid) was a 10th child or something, and as such, inherited opportunities were very few, so they went out to be a spaceship crewman to make their fortune.

Ulphus:

--- Quote from: Louella Dougans on 20 Apr 2010, 12:07 ---There's ingame evidence for Gallente having marriages and also angry mother-in-laws.

--- End quote ---

And from that agent, it appears that same-sex marriage is in, at least for Gallente.

Seriphyn:
rofl @ npc called "mother-in-law"

Anyway, I imagine Jin-Mei families would behave more like corporate units. Lots of brothers and sisters, with a patriachal heirarchy (old men, old women then younger men). An otherwise not very intimate family structure, but very strong nevertheless.

That's assuming lolmedievalChina stereotypes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version