Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Nuclear Issue  (Read 6530 times)

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
Re: The Nuclear Issue
« Reply #30 on: 19 Sep 2012, 14:59 »

Cold War anyone? I'm sure SSSR was pretty smart to figure out nuking US or China is not gonna turn out well for them either.

Same goes for these kind of things. There's always the retaliatory strike.

Not particulary worried about government, worried about any less sane individuals getting their hands on a couple of nukes. And knowing capsuleers, if they were able to blow up planets, I believe most of them would.

In fact, if CCP would make stations destructible (even in high-sec), I'm sure most of them would be destroyed rather quickly...

That's what we have DED for, no? If a capsuleer farts in a wrong direction, he'll get concordokkened as soon s he undocks... so what's the issue?

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 19 Sep 2012, 16:07 »

That's what we have DED for, no? If a capsuleer farts in a wrong direction, he'll get concordokkened as soon s he undocks... so what's the issue?

I don't think that would stop capsuleers from doing so.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #32 on: 19 Sep 2012, 16:47 »

DED and CONCORD don't make a lot of sense to me as implemented, so  i tend to try and steer far away from them RP wise.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #33 on: 19 Sep 2012, 20:19 »

Even putting aside instant-death options such as DDs or deliberate relativistic impacts, a multitude of options are available to exterminate all life on a planet, including sustained orbital bombardments from battleships/dreads or even simply tugging the largest Veldspar 'roid you can find into a decaying orbit and moving on.

The reason such options have NOT been used, therefore, is clearly a political or social one: None of the governments in New Eden are prepared to accept the political fallout resulting from a deliberate extermination campaign against an enemy nation.

Hi there.

So much this. The habitable worlds of three regions is the scale of mass destruction/murder we're talking about in regards to the initial attack on Sansha's Nation.

The part that Ghost bolded is where his (joking?) argument falls apart, though. There was no political "fallout" from the Big Four ganging up on Sansha - no overwhelmingly negative fallout, anyway.

The (social) fall out was traumatizing the Nation so thoroughly the Empires have essentially created an eternal nemesis. Barring any complete turn arounds from Kuvakei, of course.

Presumably if we were not following the overarching plot of EVE, the Nation may have already followed through with a massive extermination campaign using its Wormhole technology and other funnies like Kyonoke. However, the things being that they are, everyone gets free Sansha farming 24/7 in highsec in stead. ymmv

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #34 on: 19 Sep 2012, 20:49 »

There's a preemptive move here that you may or may not want to consider.  Basically, the pod interface prevents a capsuleer from targeting anything :they: don't want you to target... including planets.  Supposedly it won't even let you see most of the non-capsuleer traffic in space, thus preventing us from laying waste to all the poor baseliners in transit around New Eden just for lulz.  This was a big concept point for Incarna and all of the (still to be released someday perhaps) walking in stations content--that you would be able to do :things: through an interface that wasn't controlled by CONCORD.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 19 Sep 2012, 22:04 »

There's a preemptive move here that you may or may not want to consider.  Basically, the pod interface prevents a capsuleer from targeting anything :they: don't want you to target... including planets.  Supposedly it won't even let you see most of the non-capsuleer traffic in space, thus preventing us from laying waste to all the poor baseliners in transit around New Eden just for lulz.  This was a big concept point for Incarna and all of the (still to be released someday perhaps) walking in stations content--that you would be able to do :things: through an interface that wasn't controlled by CONCORD.

Like internet forums and such...

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2012, 22:58 »

that argument falls on its face though, since we're allowed to shoot the DED in pirate missions. If they really could just manipulate our reality like that, they'd protect themselves with those manipulations, or shut the pod down.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:10 »

Like I said you may want to consider it or not.  What's to say the pirate agents aren't hooking you up with a temporary DED IFF defeat?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:26 »

There was also the whole bit about us being very able to see the attacking Sansha's Nation ships in the opening days of the Incursion arc, when CONCORD was trying its hardest to say that no, there were no Sansha invasions...
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2012, 23:32 »

There was also the whole bit about us being very able to see the attacking Sansha's Nation ships in the opening days of the Incursion arc, when CONCORD was trying its hardest to say that no, there were no Sansha invasions...

If it isn't in the CONCORD (local authority) protected database; it shows up as a hostile?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #40 on: 20 Sep 2012, 06:36 »

If it isn't in the CONCORD (local authority) protected database; it shows up as a hostile?

Would that include Big-Four ships in waters that (probably) aren't their own, i.e., missions?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #41 on: 24 Sep 2012, 14:11 »

There's good reasons to limit the development/deployment of extreme weapons.

Objective Zero: Humanity must continue to exist.

The cluster has been explored. As far as anyone knows, this is it. There are no other people. If civilisation wipes each other out, then there's no-one left to start again. This must be avoided.

A bit like the Great Convention in Dune. Atomic weaponry exists, but is not used, except if an Alien Species appears that threatens the existence of humanity.
\o/

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #42 on: 24 Sep 2012, 22:47 »

Both nuclear and thermonuclear weapons are just burning of nuclear or thermonuclear fuel by means of fission or fusion. It is when they are small, they give explosions. Huge devices will just burn, violently, but still burn. Technology level doesn't matter if you want to destroy a planet, you need a huge amount of energy.
I strongely suspect that the beam weapons would be much more damaging to a planet then the AOE. The AOE would just torch the atmosphere, burning it off and disrupting the weather patterns and biosphere, like we see on Reschard. But the beam DDs? Those would probably punch through the crust into the mantle, sending a gout of planetary material spewing out into space to rain down on the planet. It could even critically lose stability and fracture entirely, which would pretty much doom the whole world, basically like Seyllin.
Planets are bubbles of molten rock with tiny crust, flying in space. They are more liquid or 'rubber' than planetary material in our sense. They has huge gravity to hold it together. Your beam weapon will just pierce it like a needle, but you can't 'fracture' a planet entirely this way. What happened in Seyllin was just a solar burst of huge energy, it was AOE and it literally blown planet apart.

Back when Amarr were still "alone" in space, they did nuke Starkmanir Prime. (Substitute "nuke" to purging nearly all life via orbital bombardment.)
Constant carpet bombing is indeed a way to obliterate life on a planet. Even during WWII carpet bombing a city was way more devastating than just blowing a nuke. Just note, that this needs continuous action, quite a number of ships with lots of charges, it's not like 'one device'. Also, you only 'scratch' surface of a planet, but you still cant destroy the planet itself.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #43 on: 24 Sep 2012, 23:21 »

Find good sized planet.
Strap engines to it.
Crash into desired planet.
???
Profit!

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 25 Sep 2012, 00:06 »

Just playing Devil's advocate, but humanity as a whole hasnt used nuclear weapons since 1945, despite more than a few powers, a few of them crazy, having access to them. 

I doubt anyone would say its because we're all loving and advanced. 

If we could maintain such a stalemate now, I dont see why people couldnt do it in the future.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 2 [3]