General Discussion > Moderation Discussion

Moderation Discussion

<< < (2/5) > >>

Elsebeth Rhiannon:
Samira: I'm sorry if I was unclear, but I thought I made it clear in context that I am asking about moderation on the board and what *you as a moderator* think. Theoretical board policy matters less to me than what actually gets enforced.

Miz: I am not really going to discuss this further with you. How this board is moderated is not my call, so the *exact* place where *I* would draw the line matters little. It would surely be in a different place from where it is now and I *have* moderated enough in my life that I know that curbing shit-talk without curbing opinions *is* possible. I have stated my opinion, do with it what you will.

Mizhara:
There's nought I can do with it, really. I have zero powers on these boards and that's how it's going to stay I suspect. However, when you call for different moderation, it's usually prudent to be clear on how you feel that difference should be. The vaguer you are, the less useful it is in terms of criticism and possible changes in the status quo.

Sadly, I think it's rather telling that the activity on these boards have dropped in favor of unmoderated venues. There's a lot of grey names here of people who used to be regular contributors, then ended up in a dispute with the moderation team and then deleted and dropped.

Elsebeth Rhiannon:
What "unmoderated venues" are there that would be a replacement for these boards? I'd be interested in checking them out.

That said, considering that inside the few hours since I posted my original piece on this, three different people have approached me to say thanks for posting, and what I talked about is why they don't post here anymore, I am not sure your interpretation of why it's quiet is correct.

(I meant it when I said I am not going to discuss with you about where I would draw the line. I have also moderated enough in my life that I know that if you really cannot imagine how to express your opinions without shit-talk such as you had in your post, nothing I say will change that, and any attempt to explain would just lead to further nitpicking by you in an attempt to show that if you cannot draw the line exactly you cannot draw it all.)

Louella Dougans:

--- Quote ---Culturally, I'm from a place where very harsh and crude language is perfectly normal and very much part of completely day to day conversation.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Having no barrier to entry, no expectations of class or quality is not a good thing for anything, it never has been. Police your own group, maintain some culture and class, and I'll happily welcome anyone.
--- End quote ---

I can get crude and harsh language anywhere here as well.

What I can't get, is an interesting conversation about internet spaceship games.

--- Quote ---I think it's rather telling that the activity on these boards have dropped in favor of unmoderated venues. There's a lot of grey names here of people who used to be regular contributors
--- End quote ---

that's your opinion. From another point of view, it seems Nissui deleted their account as a result of the thread that sparked this one.

It is exhausting, wading through a flood of profanities and deciphering what you think the meaning was.

It's not fun, and I'd rather do something else.

Elsebeth Rhiannon:
Four people, now, if you count Louella.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version