Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanids were fellow settlers alongside the Amarrians on Athra, better known today as Amarr Prime? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Re: Slavery discussion  (Read 773 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Slavery discussion
« on: 04 Oct 2012, 22:28 »

To Publius Valerius:

This is the TL:DR version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Longer version:

A couple weeks back, I read your incoherent ramblings about how you read a book about Popper once, as well as how you supposedly "roasted" me and various other people.  You apparently have a creepy and obsessive fixation with me, which you commented on repeatedly, which then made me lose any interest in this thread.  I shrugged and went about my day, and rather ignored this thread, and thought about what to say, or to say anything at all.

I am glad to be part of the "magic three" however.  We should form a band.  Or a giant robot.  Or both.  To be thought of in the same group as Mithra and hellgremlin is quite an honor, however.  They're both players I respect, and have done a lot for EVE RP.   

As someone with an actual education in philosophy, I thought about responding to your child-like babbling rant thats based apparently on how supposedly smart and logical you are, and how youre going to "educate" us in general, and me in particular.  But reading your utterly incoherent and baffling "argument", filled with ad hominem attacks, fallacious arguments from authority, desperate and obviously needy "look how smart and cool Publius is!" statements  (though we are all proud and duly impressed you got a girlfriend, thanks for sharing), and insanely condescending and often outright insulting comments, but I literally didnt know where to start.

I could come up with a structured, logical argument regarding the morality of slavery, if I really cared to.  Maybe use some modified Kantian argumentation, ends in themselves, that kind of thing.

But, really, no one cares enough to. I certainly dont.

This is, or was at least, until you showed up with your tedious and pedantic argumentation, a discussion of slavery.  And Im not sure 1.) you have the english skills necessary to follow it and 2.) you really "get" how actual real-life, socially viable people really think in the first place.  And frankly, you dont need some kind of logical moral deduction anyway, since you claimed to not "like" slavery in the first place.  (ostensibly for moral reasons, though ascribing logical reasoning to your statements is admittedly bold on my part)   

After that point Publius, every post you had became a meaningless "I need you to think Im smart and I read Popper once!" and had nothing to do, yanno, the discussion at hand. 

The whole point of this threat was about how to portray a theme generally thought of as inhuman in a realistic manner. Everyone was trying their best, and it was a good conversation for the most part. When it became about Popper and Fox-news it got really, really stupid.

Couple more points:

Speaking in the third person is poor form, btw.  It is a psychological indicator of an overly exaggerated self-image.

Seriously, you really should read another thinker beyond Popper.  Really, there are some good ones.  It would do you some good.  You can read more than one book, I promise.  Besides, Poppers a little outdated and unable to answer Kuhn adequately.

I know you think you come here and "roast" people with your "incredible logic."  The only person youve really humiliated, insulted or shamed in this thread is yourself.

I used to think your off-putting and incoherent rambling was do to your child-like grasp of the nuances of the English language, but now Im beginning to think that you would likely come off as even more bizarre and ridiculous in your native tongue.

There is nothing at all wrong with speaking poor English, but it takes a special kind of arrogance, bloated self-importance and egotism to think you could step into a fairly sophisticated, adult, and nuanced English discussion with a child like grasp of the English language and think you are going to "correct" or "show" the audience anything.  Arrogance worthy of a fat, Fox-news watching American moron, in fact.

In summary:

Apparently you write good stuff.  Please do more of that.  Youve added value there.  Youve added no value in this thread, or anywhere on any forum Ive seen you on.  Despite what you might think, argumentation is not your strength.   
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2012, 22:42 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Re: Slavery discussion
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2012, 07:24 »

[mod]I probably don't need to explain.[/mod]