Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DED has very long-standing military laws governing the conduct of its officers.

Author Topic: Vox Populi  (Read 2052 times)

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
Vox Populi
« on: 05 Aug 2013, 22:13 »

(( These are the private journal entries of Felix Rasker. This will be a combination open-ended story for readers, and a sink for small-scale character development for myself. I hope you enjoy reading, and feel free to comment and question after entries!

This information is given entirely through OOC means, as Felix refuses to share this journal, which he keeps in analog formats only.))

VOX POPULI

// RECORDING
// DATE: 115.4.4 02:16

<Felix appears on-screen, lit by the dim blue glow of dozens of electronics strewn about his room. The quarters are cramped, clearly a station residence, and starkly bare. Other than a cot, a small refrigerator in the background, and the masses of wires and components surrounding the skinny figure, the room is entirely bare.

Felix adjusts the camera roughly, bringing it into focus. He is lithe, partly emaciated, dressed only in simple shorts. By the sweat on his brow, he is likely overheating due to the heat of the many screens and computers stacked around him. He speaks hesitantly with a slight accent.>

Alright. I’m starting this -

<Felix adjusts, fidgeting with his seating position a few times.>

I’m starting this - this log, to uh -

<Felix twitches a second time, rubbing his hands over his hair. He returns to the camera with a sharp exhale.>

I am Felix Rasker, age twenty-nine. Tribeless.

I’m starting this journal because I want to tell my side. People who came before me, people who had an impact on history, people who changed the world - they always have their stories questioned. Historians and reporters come along after that person dies and they look at everything, every shred of that person’s life, trying to figure them out.

They usually get it wrong. They call somebody an “assassin,” or they call them a “revolutionary,” or a “terrorist.” They use those words because they can’t say what they really mean. It’s easier to call somebody a terrorist because you get their whole life story in that word.

<Felix peels open the mouthpiece of a nutrient packet, the type usually reserved for the very sick or the very poor, unflavored and strictly engineered for nutrition.>

They’re an evil soul, they came from some dusty planet with a corrupt government, they’re a freak of nature that got mixed up in a cult and wanted to be special. That word makes you think of an uneducated, xenophobic, zealous extremist with nothing to live for, it takes away all their power. Criminals with poorly-planned agendas.

That’s why I’m taking that opportunity away from the media. I’m setting the record straight, in my own words, with my own voice, so there’s no confusion. Whatever I do in the future, whatever I become, my past and my life will be my own.

<He takes a sip of the packet, scratching idly at his arm and looking off into the middle distance.>

Thought this would take longer... I don’t know what else to say. Uh...

<Felix swipes his hand over his face and laughs nervously.>

Right, you want to hear my “belief system.” I have to give my personal statement, right, my “mission statement?” That’s how people like to see things - a chain of events, starting with somebody writing down their beliefs and ending with success or failure. That’s not how it works. It’s not a chain of events, its a web. Dozens of points that connect and diverge.

Oppression is systematic, not direct. Power isn’t taken away from a people with just shackles. You have to convince them they’re subhuman, you have to convince them they’re worth less than their rulers. Once they believe it, they enslave themselves with their own fear. People aren’t convinced with singular, massive ideas; they’re convinced by an atmosphere of smaller concepts.

Holofilms, that’s an example. Think about it, nobody in Federation space cared about Matari culture at first. Then that stupid “Wolves in the Woods” movie came out, and fucking Andrien Vauclain gets a tan and some fake tattoos so he can play “Zakka” - like that’s a name somebody has, right? - and suddenly, every dumb Gallentean khazko gets a fake Voluval tattooed on the small of her back. Like now it’s “cool” to think you’re part of my culture. That’s how they keep you thinking your culture is a joke.

<Felix pauses and rubs his hands over his face, looking from side to side.>

What was my point... fuck...

Right, so the mission statement - see, it’s not like that. Oppression comes from dozens of interrelated, but separate points. So opposition and resistance has to be directed to all those points, it’s not a uniform thing. You have to fight oppression as it comes, from wherever it originates. Being a freedom fighter is never an organized process.

<He rubs his sunken eyes tiredly.>

Alright, I’m going to watch “Grey Docks III” before I have to head back into the field. Best one in the series. The fifth sucked hard, and everybody knows it. Did you know they spent as much money on pyrotechnics for “GD3” as they did on food, lodging and medical care for the filming crew? Destroyed seventy-nine vehicles for the final chase scene. Alright, I’ll come back for the next entry later.

<Felix points his finger at the camera, aiming a pantomimed gun at the lens.>

“Get the hell off my station.” So cool.

Alright, that’s it.

// RECORDING ENDED
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 03:12 by Felix Rasker »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
Re: Vox Populi
« Reply #1 on: 06 Aug 2013, 00:26 »

10/10

I love you.  So much.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2013, 00:31 »

10/10

I love you.  So much.

Thanks, dad. That's all I ever wanted.  :cube:

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 07 Aug 2013, 21:38 »

// RECORDING
// DATE: 115.8.7 00:57

<The feed activates and shows Felix, crouched amongst his electronics collection, one knee stuck upright, the other leg wrapped underneath. His head is hung low, almost within the crook of his chest. He takes a drag from a badly rolled cigarette of some description, letting smoke drain from his nostrils.>

Okay, today -

<He shoves his hand over his face, clearly struggling to maintain focus.>

Today, I’m going to teach you about the meaning of “freedom.”

Let me tell you about my home planet. The official name is “Ontorn III,” but we call it “Ishmi.” I come from the city of Al’hushan, in the Dashtep desert. It’s an ancient merchant city, wasn’t even made an official city until about two centuries ago.

Material Acquisitions owns the city now. They sparked a civil war and backed one of the tribes, promising political dominance. When they left, the mining colony was staffed with Federation soldiers, security or something.

Now when MA showed up, after the initial prospectors had left, they promised my clan something...

<Felix takes another drag of his cigarette, wandering off-camera momentarily. He returns with a bottle of water in hand.>

Cottonmouth.

<He takes a few slurps of water, then sets the bottle at his side.>

They promised that my clan - the Vadduk - and all the others, could have a life in their colony. All we had to do in return is work for them. Take jobs in the colony, buy from the company store, live in company housing. Of course, we didn’t have to take their offer. They said it was an olive branch, nothing more. Here’s the thing...

<Felix returns to his cigarette, leaning towards the camera and raising an eyebrow.>

We weren’t free to keep our city, were we?

MA had purchased the rights already, and they were building their colony one way or another. So when the Vadduk started coming to clan meetings - they had these spots in the city, called them “proving houses” - saying they weren’t going to let foreigners take their land and their culture, their rivals, the Joro, saw an opening.

They told MA the situation and got in good with the higher-ups, saying they would back the colony. MA gave them weapons and equipment to “support their interests” and “maintain peace among the indigenous peoples.” Civil war was unavoidable after that. The Vadduk got their asses kicked for eight months and were forced to surrender. MA built the colony, and left the Joro in charge of the city after paying them off.

<Felix leans back and takes a few sips of water.>

First thing the Joro did was build their own government. The first law they passed was the “Imminence of Tribal Authority Act.” Anyone who wasn’t loyal to the Joro was forced into the slums outside the city and barred from the colony. The private security stayed behind to act as a police force.

<He holds his arms wide and tilts his head, smirking sarcastically.>

So what have we learned, class?

My people were “free” to take jobs from the colony, but there were barely any non-colony jobs left in Al’hushan.
We were “free” to oppose MA by the laws of our people, but the Joro were given free reign to start a civil war.
We were “free” to live in Al’hushan after the Joro took control, but hundreds of people die every year in the slums from hunger, STDs, drugs, and the wars between the gangs that own the streets.

See my point? And guess-the-fuck-what? It’s no different anywhere else.

The Federation calls themselves a democracy, but a third of their population is Minmatar. You think Minmatar have lobbyists or special interest groups to support them? No, but Quafe has a five-billion ISK fund to make sure they can legally market their NutriQuafe cans as “healthy and nutritious.”

<Felix finishes off his cigarette in one deep breath, singing his fingertips and coughing as he shakes the pain away.>

Fuh-huck... dammit.

Okay, my point is - my point is that “freedom” isn’t given to anyone. We’re born free. Free from gods, kings, and government. Then, we sacrifice our freedoms for the good of the many. That’s what a chieftain and his tribe understand more than any other system of government. Your freedom is the single most important factor in your humanity, so you don’t hand it out to the first motherfucker with a pressed suit. A warrior serves his chief, and the chief serves his warrior. If that system of trust isn’t one-hundred-fucking-percent equal? That’s a betrayal.

Every government in the cluster has betrayed its people at least once. Some more than others. But you have to remember, outside that little card with your name and ID-number on it, you’re as free as the day you were born.

<Felix reaches to turn the camera off.>

Don’t forget that.

// RECORDING ENDED
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 03:12 by Felix Rasker »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 08 Aug 2013, 00:54 »

Woah, some good shit right here...

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 08 Aug 2013, 01:29 »

Woah, some good shit right here...

Thankya kindly. :D

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2013, 03:24 »

// RECORDING
// DATE: 115.8.10 04:14

<Felix activates the camera, rubbing his face with both hands tiredly. He shuffles, seated, backwards into his usual position and takes a few sips from a nearby bottle of water.>

Assassination.

<He speaks that one word, finishes another sip, and finally puts the bottle down.>

Assassination. Know what that word means? It’s a placeholder word - I hate those, by the way. It’s a placeholder for the phrase “somebody died, and they were important to somebody’s government.” When somebody’s kid dies in a war, it’s a tragedy, or when somebody gets killed in a gang shooting, it’s an incident. “The community is heartbroken,” that’s what the news says.

Check this shit out.

<Felix holds up a datapad, displaying the image of a young woman, Gallentean, standing on a stage and enthusiastically singing into a microphone.>

Jolee Hanvyner. Remember this chick? Singer-songwriter, really hot in the Federation. When I was working my little technical job in the Federation - that’s another story, I’ll save that one - I heard her on the radio every fucking day, singing those stupid pop songs. I hate that whimsical, twee shit kids listen to now. Acoustic, feel-good songs about running through the rain with your shoes off. Stupid...

Anywho. She died three months ago, if you didn’t get the note. Her yacht was shot down by an unknown ship. She and her wife, Ting, both died in that attack. The local authority says the ship was an unknown make and they couldn’t trace it. They called it an act of piracy.

Now you might remember, a while before that, one of Jolee’s concerts was shut down by a Black Eagles raid. They kicked in the doors, pushed the audience to the walls, took Jolee and Ting into custody. They were accused of treason, conspiracy, and collaboration with the State. The case was taken to the Supreme Court, but they claimed there was insufficient evidence and those two were acquitted.

<Felix puts the datapad aside and finishes off his water, leaning close to the camera and scowling grimly.>

And a little while later, an unidentified, highly advanced, unclassified battlecruiser fragged those two.

That’s what Federation justice looks like, man. That’s the face of representative democracy. They want two women put away, for who knows what fucking reason - hell, you know what, lets say they were right. Let’s say, for the sake of the argument, that Jolee Hanvyner, author of the song “Touch My Heart,” was in fact a military conspirator, and her wife was in on the deal.

So the Federation military complex wants them gone, and they send the Black Eagles, basically an extra-government force at this point, to bust them. But then, democracy gets in the way. The law says you can’t convict somebody unless you have evidence. They say it’s better to let a hundred guilty people go free than to imprison one innocent person. So when they can’t get enough evidence, the court throws the case out.

So what do they do? They just go the fuck around democracy.

<He roughly tosses the now empty water bottle off-screen, where it quietly bounces around before coming to a stop.>

See that’s the truth behind the pretty face of the Federation. The entire democratic process, or what they call a democratic process, that’s all just a pen for the civilians. They think it keeps crime and anarchy out, but it’s really there to keep them in. And meanwhile, the government can step over the fence any time they want.

But here’s the thing: when a singer dies, its an act of piracy. When prisoners of war are tortured, it’s an oversight. When some kid gets dusted by an officer because he was protesting, it’s a tragic accident. Even when the FIO goes after a pirate leader or a foreign official, it’s an anti-insurgent operation.

But if you go after a domestic official? That’s an “assassination,” because that person is more important than you.

<Felix lowers his head and rubs his eyes again, calming over the course of thirty seconds or so. When he lifts his head, his expression has softened and he seems lucid and jovial again.>

This is the second vocabulary-based entry I’ve done, that can’t be good, right? I’m trying not to be one of those “theme” authors. I don’t know what to talk about next time. I guess I should cover some of my own history, in case this all ends up being heard posthumously.

<He pauses, scratching the back of his head.>

Man, that was a grim thing to say.

Alright, peace.

// RECORDING ENDED
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 03:13 by Felix Rasker »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2013, 01:47 »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2013, 22:36 »

// RECORDING
// DATE: 115.8.12 05:31

<When the camera activates, Felix is clearly eager and alert - perhaps unusually so - and rubs his hands together as he speaks. Behind him, some of the room’s collection of electronics have been rearranged into a neat pyramid, and the floor is clear of the usual debris spread around.>

Alright, so! Switching things up today.

Today, you’re going to hear about me. Part of my history. I feel like that’s important. You want to know about me, about my life, why I am the way I am, why I think what I think. I feel like that’s important. I’m not gonna tell you everything, that’s no fun, then you’ve got nothing to wait for!

… Right, also, whoever’s watching these: watch them in order, okay? I know it seems disjointed, but there’s a pattern. It’s important to watch them in order.

<Felix pauses to wipe the beads of sweat from his brow, peering around the room searchingly. He steps away from the camera, fumbling around for perhaps two minutes. At one point he emerges beside the pyramid of junk in the background, adding a split-open datacore to the pinnacle. Finally, he arrives back at the camera, calmer, with a cigarette in hand.>

Okay, before I get started, I should explain a few things. When I lived in Al’hushan, I ran with a gang. Every gang in Al’hushan is a remnant of a warrior clan, basically bloodline militias, who were defeated in the civil war. Most of them are Vadduk, some aren’t. They still consider themselves warriors, militias, part of the political process, and sometimes they are. But more often than not, they’re gangs, plain and simple.

Pretty much any boy in that city joins a gang eventually. Women aren’t allowed in most gangs, and the ones that accept women just put them on the street to make some extra scratch. Once you’re in, the only way out is either death, or prison. I was lucky, because when I finally caught heat, they tossed me in prison.

Now Al’hushan prisons don’t work like “modern” ones. Anyone under the age of fifteen is a minor, anyone above goes to the same prisons, more or less. Cells hold up to five people, usually. So you sometimes see a teenager in the same cell as two rapists, a murderer and a male prostitute. It gets ugly, man. The colony has their own rules, but since the Joro own the city, the Joro make the rules, and they’re quick to make sure cells are segregated by clans.

So, one day, I’m in my cell with a pair of brothers who stole from a caravan. One of the guards shows up and tells me to get out of my cell. I get up, and I follow him, and he takes me to a little room away from the cell block.

<Felix takes a drag of his cigarette, laughing in a sinister tone.>

Now at this point, I’m pretty certain this guard is gonna have his fun with me. I’m looking around for something to use as a weapon. But inside the room is a woman. The guard tells me to sit at the table there, locks the door, and he leaves.

The woman, I remember really clearly. She was maybe, I dunno, maybe a meter and a half tall. Black hair, tied up behind her head, very professional. She was wearing a suit, which was the weirdest thing I’d seen somebody wearing at the time. A grey suit, sharp and clean, with the lapels fucking stapled in place. She had green eyes and she was wearing lipstick. I’d only seen whores wear makeup before then, so, I didn’t take her very seriously at first.

<He laughs again and returns to his cigarette momentarily. He speaks through the smoke this time.>

And she says “son, I think you don’t like it here.” No shit, right? She says, “I’m from such-and-such firm, I represent whoever-the-fuck. We want to take you away from here.”

Once I heard that, I did whatever she said. I answered all sorts of questions - well, she asked them, but I couldn’t answer a lot of them. I didn’t have an identification code or an address, I couldn’t say my father or mother had been employed when they were alive, I couldn’t say I’d finished school. But she noted everything down, and she took me to her car, and we went into the city.

This was a huge thing for me, too, because I’d never been inside the city. Everything looked so clean and so bright, I couldn’t believe it. All the buildings were silver and glass, all the people were dressed like this woman next to me. I can’t even remember the drive, I was so fucking out of my element.

<Felix finishes his cigarette and tosses the butt off-screen.>

Okay, skip ahead a while. That woman’s name was Doctor Aline Honorine. She worked for a Federation-based charity organization that took “at-risk youths” like myself, gave them a streamlined basic education course, and reintroduced them to society through student labor employment. It was part of a goodwill program series in the Federation, to improve relations between Matari and Gallentean citizens. I guess people feel better when a few kids make it out alive.

They sent me to Dodixie VI. I lived in the Federation from fifteen to twenty-five. As part of the program, I lived in student housing and I worked in a local electronics shop doing repairs for pocket change. There were a lot of us, all Matari, but we couldn’t all understand each other. The foundation hadn’t anticipated us speaking different languages and some of us not knowing MSM at all. But, we got along as best we could. Eventually I graduated and got into college on an academic performance scholarship.

<Felix leans back on his arms and grins to himself for a moment, then looks back at the camera.>

I loved my college years. See, here’s the thing, I know I sound racist sometimes, but I always make a point to say “Federation,” not “Gallenteans” when I talk about politics. There’s a reason for that: my best friends for those years were all Gallenteans.

See I was studying politics a lot, and if you’re looking for domestic dissenters in a Federation classroom, that’s the type of course you pick. “Foundational Democratic Processes,” or “Philosophers of the Early Federation.” I guarantee, you’ll see somebody in there, sitting in the back, with spiked-up hair and a throat tattoo, just fucking seething to himself.

So those were the kids I found. At the time, I had a seven-inch mohawk, dyed, blood red, and I wore an old Federation Marine camo jacket that I covered in studs. First friend I found was named Claude - eh, I won’t hand out last names, that might end up fucking my friends over. Claude, anyway, he was a real freak. Holes in his ears an inch across, a stud in his chin, he liked piercings. His girlfriend, Cosette, she was into body mods, too. Etienne, he was really short, but he made a point of being the tough guy. Shaved his head, didn’t dress up too much, always wore boots. Zhou, he was Jin-Mei. He was a lady-killer, didn’t get any piercings or ink.

Those guys were the closest friends I had, but they all had friends from other schools or from the streets, and if you got us all together in a room - we did that a few times - there’d be like, thirty of us.

We spent every night on the street, and if it was the weekend, we spent the day on the street, too. We’d do whatever we wanted, we felt invincible. At night, we’d hit the bars and at least four times a week we’d end up in a fight somewhere. Etienne was the one to watch, he kept a thick-ass steel bolt in his back pocket. If he caught somebody in the jaw, they went down, hard. But on our quieter days, we sat around, got high, and talked about politics, because at the end of the day, we really did care about our classes. We wanted to learn, we wanted to understand, because everything around us was so fucked, we wanted to change it somehow.

<Felix pauses and the smile fades from his expression. He reaches for another cigarette and waits for a long couple of minutes before he starts speaking again.>

I think that’s what did us all in, in the end. We thought if we just had the means and the education, we could change something. But we started realizing that a bunch of students can’t change much. The government doesn’t listen to anything but its own heartbeat. So we started getting desperate.

<He sighs and looks at the camera squarely.>

I’ll pick this up tomorrow.

// RECORDING ENDED
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2013, 03:13 by Felix Rasker »

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2013, 04:00 »

// RECORDING
// DATE: 114.8.15 07:09

<Felix looks, physically speaking, exhausted. His arms are hugged around his knees, as if he is very cold, but the beads of sweat on his shoulders and forehead say otherwise. He lifts his head and speaks in a slow, monotone manner.>

The doctors tell me not to self-medicate. Even with my implants, it’s dangerous. That’s what they tell me.

<He lights a cigarette with a weary slowness, missing his first few strikes of the lighter. He takes a deep breath, exhaling into the lens.>

Did you know one in five teenagers and young adults in the Federation admit to having experimented with illicit drugs? That’s a fact. Mostly weak stuff, smoke or blue pills. But out of every five users, one has also done something harder: exile, crash, mindflood. X-instinct is a big one, too.

X-instinct stands alone for a couple of reasons. Number one, it’s not as addictive as drop, but it still gives you some serious hallucinations. Two, you’re at least partly aware you’re high. And three, it’s less likely to kill you, compared to drop.

<Felix stretches back and reclines against a heavy piece of electrical equipment.>

When X-instinct hits your brain, it feels like being a lightning rod. Your whole body buzzes like it’s full of energy. After the first few seconds, your eyes start to vibrate. Before you know it, the visions start. The edges of the table get sharp - too sharp - like razors. Your friend’s hair slithers off her head and crawls over the floor. And even though it’s scary, you’re happy. Too convinced of your safety and significance in the universe to give a fuck.

Drop is different. You can make a decent batch of drop with the products under your sink, as long as you still get the psychotropics into the mix. The good stuff will beat you up a little, but the cheap stuff will take your life. Depending on the quality, drop can raise your body temperature as high as forty-one Celsius, hyperpyrexia. It’s a death sentence if you get a really hot batch.

<He takes another drag and frowns as he thinks for awhile in silence.>

I got into drugs while I was in the Federation. Like I said, I ran around with some mean guys. This is all going to end up as some kind of confession, there’s no way to escape that. But that’s the point of these recordings. I have to tell it my way, so that nobody else can corrupt my history.

I told you about Etienne last time. Etienne was the hardest son of a bitch I knew. He wanted to fight anyone, so he fought everyone he could, and he kept that bolt in his back pocket, right? Once a guy got clocked with that, he was down. See the other guys were always a little suspicious, like Etienne was some kind of nut case. But I knew better: that kid was just what every citizen would look like if they knew the truth. If they knew they had no say in their democracy, if they knew their state sold them out a long time ago.

Etienne got me into drugs. He got me into fights. Into jail a few times. But we were blood brothers, that’s a fact.

One day, while we were hanging around one of the dives, and these two girls are eying us and my other boy, Zhou, is trying to get their attention all for himself. He was a real dick when it came to women. Etienne and I, we didn’t give a shit. Guys who act like their whole life revolves around scoring women are pathetic, neither of us could stand it. Any fucking animal can mate, it’s instinctual. Breeding is supposed to be easy, how else would a species propagate? You might as well center your daily activities around gathering nuts for winter, like any other dumbfuck animal.

<Felix waves his hand dismissively, though his scowl gets no shallower.>

Anywho, we’re not down until one of the girls says she has some X-instinct on her. Etienne lights up, man, instantly. He’s rushing to the basement faster than Zhou. This bar, they had a downstairs that regulars could use for “recreation.” We get down there, and we crowd around this little table, and the girls take out the pills. Now I’ve never done anything this hard before, but Etienne tells me it’s going to be wild, and I’ve got to follow through for my tribe, right? So I take it.

About a minute afterwards, I felt the jolts start. A little after that, and the neon lights are starting to seriously mess with my brain. Before I know it, we’re running down the street outside, laughing and shouting because everything is so fucking amazing. Everything. You can see the detail in everything, things you’d never notice. I looked at the side of a building wall, and I realized how many cracks and pits were in that surface, that nothing was ever actually smooth, it was all fucked up on the surface if you just looked close enough.

An hour later, we’re in the park, sprawled out like dogs on a hot day. The rush from X-instinct is pretty brief, really. But there’s a period after that, maybe two hours, even up to four, where you’re paralyzed in thought. You’re hyper-analytical, and your body is worn out from the pills. We stared up at the sky until morning and we left Zhou with the girls. Seemed like the right thing to do.

Now, why am I telling you all this...

<Finished with the cigarette, Felix extinguishes it on the bare floor of his room. He sweeps aside the beads of sweat still clinging to his forehead, letting out a deep sigh.>

Everyone sees kids like us and wonders what’s wrong with us. They think we wear spikes and leather and piercings, get tattoos and charge our hair up - they think all that is for attention. But they’re wrong, and Etienne was the one who taught me that, while we were both high that day.

He said, humans are pack animals at their core. Thats why ancient tribes formed religions, customs, traditions, clothing, all kinds of stuff to differentiate themselves from one another. We like to form our identities based on “the other,” because its the easiest way. So even in modern society, we wear tribal clothing: a CEO doesn’t wear a suit because it’s comfortable or practical, it doesn’t protect him or sustain him, no! He wears it because its part of who he is, who he believes he needs to be, who society says he should be. See people think we dress up to get attention, but when people try to look fancy and wear a suit, nobody really notices. They might throw the guy a compliment, but he’s not blowing their minds.

No, the reality? The reality is that people saw me in a military jacket with spiked-up hair and they knew I wasn’t one of them. They gave me the attention because they needed to maintain that distance from me, that “otherness,” so they didn’t have to deal with the thought of me being part of their society. The reason we dressed like we did is because we sent the same message the businessmen send with their suits, we identified who we were. And who we were, was counter-cultural.

Our society liked order, so we dressed ourselves with chaos. Society liked bright colors, so we wore black. Society liked safety and welcoming, so we wore spikes and chains. We feel aggressive, so we dress with aggression. That’s part of what every person does in the morning when they pick out their clothes: they ask, “who should I be today?” Even the drugs were a part of that. Society wanted us to be sober and virtuous. So, we broke that rule, too. We let ourselves experience something above the norm.

<Felix nods to himself.>

Etienne was a smart motherfucker.

He was also the guy that brought me into the fold, with people like us who really understood what was happening in our society, and what needed to happen, and what we needed to do. He and I weren’t interested in just acting like freaks and expecting the world to change. So one day, when he said he knew some guys like us, I didn’t question a damn thing.

<Felix pauses, working his jaw and shaking his head.>

This is where the confession starts, so I suppose I should prepare for that appropriately. I need some time, so, for now, I’ll say this much -

<He takes up a more serious pose, though his exhausted condition prevents him from looking very formal or intimidating. He speaks as clearly as he can, his eyes darkened and fixated squarely on the camera.>

From YC108 to YC111, I was a member of the Free Will Front. For sixteen years, the FWF was an autonomous commune of anti-state freedom fighters. Etienne was the one who introduced me to those guys first. The others didn’t want any part of it, but Etienne and I were diehard soldiers for the cause. This was not a ragtag organization, and it wasn’t some after-school gutter club where kids sat around, smoked and bitched about the status quo. We based our goals on the works of political authors from before the war to the current year, we operated with secrecy, and we got shit done.

That’s it for now. Peace.

// RECORDING ENDED
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 10:56 by Felix Rasker »

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2013, 20:52 »

// RECORDING
// DATE: 115.8.19 23:08

<Felix is digging through a small crate of his belongings, tossing aside a few errant books and holodiscs as he speaks.>

Alright, so I have to continue my account of the FWF, but before I do, I need to explain a few things. I have a specific plan for how these recordings will be released. I’m not sure if it’ll work, but my idea is this -

<He picks up another holodisc, nods in confirmation, and sets that disc in his lap, tossing aside the rest of the crate.>

If you’re watching, it means you’re part of the cause. In some way, you’re part of the solution. I know that you’ll use this information, you’ll build on my work and the work of the FWF. I know you’ll understand, so listen to everything I say.

First off, I’ll state again that the Free Will Front was an autonomous commune of anti-state freedom fighters. They chose those words very carefully, so I’ll go through each one and explain how they settled on those words.

“Autonomous,” because we had the right of self-government. We considered ourselves individual, fully actualized, rational human beings who should be afforded the natural rights generally given to humans. They debated for a while over “free” and “autonomous,” but they settled on the second one because they decided they weren’t “free.” They defined “freedom” in such a way that looking around their society, they saw it didn’t apply to them yet.

“Commune,” alright, now that word means an international - that part is important - an international tribe, so to speak, of autonomous individuals with similar interests regarding their well-being. It’s important to note “international,” because they wanted to make it plain that they didn’t care about race or nationality or anything. We had Gallenteans, Intaki, Matari, all different races as members. We were brought together by, like, things above nationality. Similar interests.

Now “anti-state,” that’s important, too. We weren’t against people. We weren’t against races, we were just against the system. The state is a construction of a small group of people, and it gets perpetuated without the consent of the majority. Everything else that poisons the people, that comes from that small group.

Lastly, we called ourselves “freedom fighters.” A lot of people use a lot of words to describe antagonists of the state, and they’re all biased. “Rebel” is a good one, that just means you’re opposed to the people in charge. They assume you’ll want to be in charge if you succeed. “Guerilla” makes you sound like a backwoods jungle fighter, so nobody takes you seriously. “Terrorist” is an easy one, it means you’re just some religious fanatic with a death wish.

“Freedom fighter.”

<Felix fiddles with the holodisc in his hands, looking at the camera with a determined look.>

We fought oppression. Plain and simple. Didn’t matter where it came from or who was behind it, or who was being targeted. Our belief was that if one member of a society is being oppressed, then no member of that society is truly free, and therefore that society is, in its present state, harmful to universal freedom.

We operated based on unanimity and democracy. There was no “head” of the organization. Instead, we were split into cells. A “cell” was comprised of at least one operator - the guy running the communication lines to other cells. There was at least one paperboy - thats the guy who keeps track of all our hard documents, maps, deposit box numbers, whatever. There was at least one treasurer, he kept track of the money and doled it out when we needed funds. There was at least one street runner - a runner is the eyes and ears, and when we needed him to, he was also a hacker. Lastly, there’d be at least one shot-caller. Now a shot-caller isn’t a leader, like I said, but any operation needs an organizer, somebody making a game plan. That’s a shot-caller.

If you were in the cell, you helped with at least one of those things. Easiest job was being a runner, so there were usually a couple of those guys. But if you didn’t serve a purpose, we didn’t just take you on as a “helper.” We didn’t need thugs, either, because we weren’t a gang. If you need to physically enforce your opinion, you’re no better than the pigs. We all knew self-defense, and we all carried, but we made a pact never to use a weapon unless we had to.

The cell is a beautiful organism. It grows and it shapes itself depending on what it needs. If somebody had something to contribute - a new author they found or a speech they’d written or whatever - we’d make time to listen, and take in those new ideas, and evolve ourselves. That’s how you keep from stagnating. When a nation is in still waters, it starts to rot and corrupt itself. If you only listen to a feedback loop, you turn into a false patriot, somebody who thinks you need to fight progress to retain your identity.

<He chuckles quietly and points at the holodisc in his hand.>

With that in mind, I’m gonna show you something my shot-caller showed me. It’s a speech by one of the greatest political analysts in the cluster: Doctor Isidore Christophe, from the university of Caille. He left his job as a professor to become an independent speaker and political author. He died in YC92, I never got to see one of his live lectures, but he was fucking electric, man. Alright, I’ll let it run, you’ll see what I mean. Peace.

// RECORDING ENDED

// A/V INPUT
// RUN

<A man in a slim, blue-grey suit sits quietly among a long table of older individuals. They are all clearly scholars of some description, tersely crossing their hands and looking at the table edge. Speaking at a podium is a frail-looking woman who gestures to the blue-suited man.>

We will conclude our panel with a man who has just published his latest work, “Funding the Flag,” Dr. Isidore Christophe.

<She applauds, leading the audience to do the same. The man in question rises and takes the podium. He is aged, but retains a stern professionalism: his eyes are set beneath bushy eyebrows and rounded glasses, his white hair is tied into a short tail, and he tightly holds a small, black notebook in his hands. When the applause subsides, he smiles at the crowd. He speaks with a creaking voice, but there is verve and compassion in his tone nonetheless.>

Thank you, and good evening.

Tonight we spoke a great deal about the nature of necessary freedoms. Generally speaking, our society values personal liberties, perhaps more than anything else. The ground floor of our Federation is built upon core beliefs, that all people are equal and allowed to exist without fear of having their lives infringed upon. However, freedom is not clearly defined even within our own demand for freedom itself.

Freedom is a state in which a person is allowed to make choices about their existence, to the extent that the individual does not, in any great sense, impede, worsen, or disadvantage the life of another. However, should a person be exempt from grave consequences outside their control? The courts have not decided. Case-by-case, one person might be tried for negligence while another walks free on reasonable doubt. Should a person be allowed to live without fear of any serious detriment or alteration of their lives? Natural disasters say otherwise. Should a person ever be robbed of their home, their food, or their life? No, we say: that is why we have a police force.

Too often we overlook the more simplistic means by which freedom is taken away. We think that we are free, as citizens of the Federation, to use transportation, public or private, to go where we wish. We can choose what we eat, what we wear, what recreations we undertake, what hobbies we occupy ourselves with. We can choose to see a movie, or enjoy a dinner with friends. But we are not free. We are not free, because of this -

<The doctor holds up a single planetary credit, showing it to both sides of the auditorium. He keeps it upheld as he speaks.>

Without this, I can’t purchase a ticket for the gravrail, nor can I purchase fuel for my PV. I can’t eat, or have clothes, or sleep under a roof, without this. I can’t afford to pay the ten-credit fee to have an identification card issued, so I can’t apply for a job, or a loan, or passage to a different planet.

Do any of you know what this is? At one time, this represented a certain value of precious metal. It was exchanged in lieu of bartering, to make the first universal exchange rate. But that system of currency has been compounded by the introduction of labor wages. Originally, humans were confined to societies in which your skill determined your station. At times this devolved into caste systems, and other times we were left with “hunter-gatherer” civilizations. But somewhere along the line, someone had a better idea.

He said, “instead of paying one person to do one-hundred percent of an hour-long job, I can pay five people a smaller amount, and have them each do twenty-percent of the job.” Call it what you will - the assembly line, the factory line - it revolutionized labor. It meant that anyone could find employment and earn their bread. But it also meant the death of skilled craftsmen, and the reintroduction of humans as interchangeable batteries for the means of production. The worker is no longer paid for being skilled; they are paid for existing.

The “new worker” arrives at his station and performs the task of the “skilled worker,” ten times faster, with one tenth the skill, for one tenth the cost to the manufacturer. The work is simple, or as the managers like to phrase it, “so easy, an idiot could do it!” The work is tedious, and goes by one hour at a time, until the new worker goes home. He spends his money on food and shelter and entertainment to replenish himself, so that tomorrow he may go and spend another day at the factory.

So you see, this is not a representation of an ounce of metal. This is a representation of some portion of another person’s lifespan. It was given as a reward for sacrificing hours of time doing essentially meaningless labor, something anyone else could do, to produce an item that, likely, nobody needs. Then it was spent on the things we agree all people should be allowed: food, shelter, clean water, clothing. Perhaps some portion went towards someone’s hobby, the last yawp of their creativity and free expression that is allowed in the span of a workday.

Necessary to the usage of currency and factory labor is the sacrifice of personal liberties. Your currency is a collection of tokens, representing the spent hours of others’ lives, and you spend it to stay alive and sane long enough to earn tokens of your own. The very wealthy earn tens of thousands of these every day, but rarely do they have to suffer as much. That is the secret behind currency. If the Amarrian holders gave “food tickets” to their slaves, it would look no different on paper. “You are allowed to sleep here,” they would say, “so long as you do as I say and work for my gain.”

We are quick to point out an incident of injustice, a robbery or a murder, and say “this is what is wrong with society.” We notice those events because they are blips on the radar, they are not ordinary. But we are so entrenched in the society we are examining that often, we overlook the most obvious of injustices. We forget how unnatural modern society is.

Thank you, and good evening.

// END

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2013, 22:50 »

So...

Who else wants to start a riot after reading the good doctor's speech?

Also, listen to Ron Paul, folks.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Felix Rasker

• Clonejack
« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2013, 02:39 »

So...

Who else wants to start a riot after reading the good doctor's speech?

Also, listen to Ron Paul, folks.

I based the doctor off of Michael Parenti's speeches about law enforcement and global enforcement of capitalism. If anyone's interested, here's a piece of his work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8mBCl7Y2U