Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer  (Read 12096 times)

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2015, 17:17 »

Might wait for a mega sale on steam in a year or so packaging all the DLC and at a huge discount, also enough time for the bugs to be worked out, etc.

They really should have just made this an MMO, though.

hmmm.... while i know a much longer and more in depth response is in order....

NOPE.
Nopenopenopenopenope.

Fallout is a very solitary experience, and ALWAYS should be.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2015, 17:28 »

Might wait for a mega sale on steam in a year or so packaging all the DLC and at a huge discount, also enough time for the bugs to be worked out, etc.

They really should have just made this an MMO, though.

hmmm.... while i know a much longer and more in depth response is in order....

NOPE.
Nopenopenopenopenope.

Fallout is a very solitary experience, and ALWAYS should be.

Silas' post further down explains it a bit better.

Sorry needed to be more specific, I mean maybe a system similar to the new metal gear solid? Doesn't it mostly do single player but you can build/raid opponants player bases or something?

A 'themepark' fallout MMO would be stupendously terrible, but there is a lot of potential for the setting, and if they pulled it off would be very neat. Rival 'vaults' you could start from, etc...

Actually I could totally go for a turn-based, tactical strategy/RPG game set in the universe of Fallout, wouldn't that be cool?   :bear:

It's a potentially good idea, if it's opt-in. Some slight changes to the game as it is now could very well support a mid/late-game mechanic where you pit your settlement against another player or yourself against another player's settlement.

Still, I'd never opt in, unless it was after finishing all the main stuff and when I'd transitioned into the subsequent "faff around" playthroughs. Not sure it's doable to have that kind of mechanic and still have the insane modability and console-command-fest that is half the fun of these games, but I'm sure there could be a solution like having to tag a game as "vanilla" from the start with disabling mods and console commands, then letting you opt-in on multiplayer when you wish.

Then again, there's Saint's Row, GTA and Just Cause if it's multiplayer mayhem you're after.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #62 on: 12 Nov 2015, 20:41 »

EDIT : Are some random of your textures flickering like crazy between low res / high res?

Nope. LoD bug is the only thing that explains it for me. I can start up the game in the overworld with ultra textures and have everything loaded in and looking great, no fps issues, but the moment I load a new area (or move significantly across the overworld) a significant portion of the objects will be defaulting to low res textures. Quicksaving and reloading will then fix the textures.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #63 on: 13 Nov 2015, 05:01 »

If it does it on lower texture settings as well, definitely a bug. Bethesda game after all.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #64 on: 13 Nov 2015, 08:07 »

Feature I really miss, for some reason: Visible gunmodels when holstered. While I'm in first person mode 99% of the time, I liked having a rifle slung over my back or a pistol at my side.

Nissui

« Reply #65 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:56 »

Metacritic user review section is getting brigaded to hell. Currently clocking around 50%. Steam user rating significantly higher at about 78%.

Bethsoft got their money but there's a lot of noise about lack of RPG elements relative to prior FO titles. Doesn't sound good to me, might step back a little longer and see how things shake out.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #66 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:03 »

Eh, as far as RPG elements, it's pretty much exactly how it's been since 3, in effect. FO3 and onwards have been exceedingly low on the actual roleplaying side of things and this outing just makes the progression system different rather than simpler/more complex. It's pretty much the same kind of thing, in the end.

I've been a raving Fallout fan since the original was first released and can with some authority say that as far as the actual gameplay mechanics, worldbuilding and story this is the same kind of quality we've always gotten. My gripes with the game are entirely based on the UI design choices and shitty consoleitis tendencies, along with certain retarded things like framerate locks, mouse acceleration etc.

The reason the game is getting completely shat on by user reviews are partly because of the above, but also because the game was hyped beyond belief before release to the point where it could only ever disappoint.

Besides, the only ones really taking the time to do reviews are the people who are raging. Given the amount of sales they've had, and number of concurrent players on Steam, it'd appear the reasonable and satisfied users are more busy playing the game than shitposting.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #67 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:05 »

I heard that New Vegas was something else entirely though.

Nissui

« Reply #68 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:15 »

Good points... and Steam did show about 300000 in game when I went to compare the ratings a short while back.

One thing I did like about NV over FO3 was how the Super Mutants got a bit of their humanity back, and it captured a little of the 'society rebuilds' that I remember from the older FO titles.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #69 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:24 »

Yeah, NV was more Post-apocalyptic Western rather than Post-apocalyptic Hellscape, and the writing was far more solid. Still, better story-telling is not the same as better roleplaying. NV was not much different from FO3 in that regard.

If we ignore the UI design and technical aspects, I'd say that the only complaint I'd actually lend my ear to would be a subjective one, namely that the map is too densely packed. Whether this is due to limitations on other platforms or if it's a conscious design choice, I don't know, but while you can still wander all over the place and spend a lot of time doing so you will be stumbling on things constantly rather than "wandering the wastes" like in the predecessors.

This is both a good and a bad thing, and I'm honestly not entirely sure where I land on that scale.

Oh, and one more thing I do somewhat miss from NV: Ammo crafting. Maybe it's in there somewhere and I just haven't found it, but where I could sacrifice ammo amount for better ammo through crafting in NV, here a shotgun shell is just a shotgun shell, with no differences between them. This is obviously offset by an extremely better and more complex item customization mechanic (weapons, armor and even chemical crafting where you can create, combine and do whimsical things with chems and explosives), but I still miss it a bit.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #70 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:51 »

Things still feel pretty spread out for me, but then I go full immersion and literally walk everywhere, so otherwise short distances feel very long.

And yeah, crafting ammo would be nice. I love the crafting system otherwise though. I'm getting really attached to my weapons. Even after replacing the double-barrel shotgun I've been using for like 15 levels with a combat shotgun, I didn't have the heart to sell/scrap my original.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #71 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:25 »

One different thing from the other games, enemies are actually a threat. Even the humble raiders can fuck you up badly if you screw up. Ammo is scarcer and stimpaks work as they should (timed regen, not instant) so you have to balance ammo use across different weapons and for the first time in a very long time, I've actually scouted a location and gone "nope, not yet".

... also, a Suddenly Deathclaw at night is a seriously pants-pissingly scary moment.

Ghouls are actually somewhat frightening the way they run, dodge and lunge now. Hell, they're like extra strong rage infected. Suddenly that corpse turns out not to be a corpse, or a cellar window bursts open to reveal a ghoul wriggling in to try and chew on your trachea a little bit.

Mirelurks fucked me bad, just two of them, early on. Dogs can be dangerous as hell too.

There's no doubt to me that the game as a game has improved immensely over the predecessors, once they unfuck the UI with mods.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:14 »

One different thing from the other games, enemies are actually a threat. Even the humble raiders can fuck you up badly if you screw up. Ammo is scarcer and stimpaks work as they should (timed regen, not instant) so you have to balance ammo use across different weapons and for the first time in a very long time, I've actually scouted a location and gone "nope, not yet".

... also, a Suddenly Deathclaw at night is a seriously pants-pissingly scary moment.

Ghouls are actually somewhat frightening the way they run, dodge and lunge now. Hell, they're like extra strong rage infected. Suddenly that corpse turns out not to be a corpse, or a cellar window bursts open to reveal a ghoul wriggling in to try and chew on your trachea a little bit.

Mirelurks fucked me bad, just two of them, early on. Dogs can be dangerous as hell too.

There's no doubt to me that the game as a game has improved immensely over the predecessors, once they unfuck the UI with mods.

Okay, now I'm tempted.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:20 »

One caveat to that. Enemies are way more grenade happy, which ups the difficulty but also can be... weird, depending on where you're fighting at the time.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #74 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:30 »

I read that the AI is very basic... I mean, people complained. Is that a bother, or just not really incidental (or just flat out wrong)?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7