Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Futuretech Infographic  (Read 2277 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: Futuretech Infographic
« Reply #15 on: 08 Aug 2012, 02:04 »

EVE is post-scarcity, to capsuleers.

I think the problem is that the players are lacking in the commodity that the characters have the most.

Time.

Immortal.

That means that you (personally) as an immortal can be richer than nations if you bother to gain more than you spend every day.

The Culture is a shangri-la Star Trek kind of future, where humans are fundamentally better than regular humans because of the tech that they use.

It even shares the same fallacy that Star Trek does, once you are living in a post-scarcity society you will automatically start doing 'higher' things and have 'higher' standards morally.
Which of course is complete and utter bullshit, even in the Star Trek universe where the other cultures live in the a different culture in a different post-scarcity society and they hold completely different ideals and goals.

Klingons and Ferengi for example.

In the Culture the homogenization of the Culture is done through exactly the same means as the capsuleers are controlled through in New Eden.

The technology that makes the individuals superior to those that are not living in the post-scarcity society is the thing that actually restricts the freedom of choice of those individuals.

The Culture has an installed neural net that enables you to be an informorph, pretty much every AI can access it and tweak it, controlling you completely in the process.

EVE has the pod and its interface.
The Powers That Be control what you can access through it, what you can interact with.
Controlling the results of your actions completely in the process.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Gessenier

« Reply #16 on: 08 Aug 2012, 03:34 »

Actually, when I look at the Caldari State or Gallente Federation their means of automated production and access to interplanetary resources might allow them to enter a post-scarcity culture if they didn't direct large portions of their industrial and research base to manufacturing military goods. What I find even more odd is that I'm not really sure where most of the employment in the State or Fed is because you honestly don't need that many people to ensure an automated assembly line produces goods. Unless rubber stamping bureaucracy and service industry are the cornerstones of their economy.

Then again, the State and Fed could just be wholly artificial maintained systems aimed at preserving the status quo and the establishment that doesn't reflect their actual technological and industrial capacity. The Fed outlawing strong/sentient AI research for one seems to show conscious attempts to prevent technology that would upset the order of things. Strong support for CONCORD keeping tabs and controlling freelance capsuleers is also another.

As for the Culture, there always seemed to be this artificial limit in that even though they're almost at the technological zenith, human beings have a preference to remain as meatbags and not upload themselves directly to have access to the same technology and abilities as the Minds.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #17 on: 08 Aug 2012, 05:05 »

I would like to apologize to the thread that my throwaway post about wanting to live in the culture has apparently caused this.  My mistake!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: 1 [2]