Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The language of the Amarr empire is spoken by more people than any other language? Read more in this Chronicle.

Author Topic: Interest Check:: Caldari Folklore and legends  (Read 2283 times)

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
Interest Check:: Caldari Folklore and legends
« on: 09 Oct 2013, 16:04 »

Quick check, who here would be interested in building upon Caldari folklore and legends? As far as the canon is concerned, Caldari traditions are filled with thousands of ancient fables and myths of the winds. I think it would be fun to really work to form a series of stories aimed at capturing the Caldari ideal.

« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013, 18:38 by Galm Fae »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Interest Check:: Caldari Folklore and legends
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2013, 17:05 »

I've already written one fable, but I'd have to dig through the logs to find it. Found it.

Deep within the Great Forest, there was a tree. This tree was magnificent, beautiful, and lively. The tree boasted full twisting branches of foliage, with birds and rodents making nests in the canopy. It was home to many creatures, and provided shade for weary hunters. Though loved by all, and no less so than by the fellow trees around it... this Tree was unsatisfied.

It longed to stand above the other trees of the forest. It longed to be upon the mountainside that overlooked the Great Forest. Day in and out, it would watch the mountains, and wish for the day it could leave. But trees have roots, as we all know. They cannot move. Even if they could, many creatures depended on this great tree for shelter and their very nourishment.

One day, a man was walking through the forest, and the Tree asked him, "Great Man, could you help me?"

The man looked up at the tree and asked what he could possibly do to help such a magnificent creature such as it.

The tree replied, "I want to be on the mountainside. I want to be above all these other trees." The tree begged the man to help carry it high above this 'lowly forest'... and at last the man said he could help.

So, on a particularly cold day, the man returned with an axe. With three strong blows, he felled the tree, robbing the creatures of their homes and robbing the tree of its very life. He carried it to the top of the mountain, and built himself a cabin with the wood.

This goes to show that one cannot survive without strong roots. One must respect the place they have in the world, and recognize their importance to those around them, to the community.

But most of all, one must be wary of ambition, for you never know where it might take you.

It isn't always in your best interests.

« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2013, 18:46 by Katrina Oniseki »

Anslol

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:02 »

Do you have to be Caldari to contribute? :S

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2013, 09:03 »

Nice fable. I suspect it might work pretty well with scriptures too.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:10 »

Do you have to be Caldari to contribute? :S

Since none of us are Caldari OOC, I don't think so. You should be intimately familiar with the style of Caldari spirituality, culture, and the way Caldari legends and myths are set up though.

A good starting point would be to consider the style of Aesop's Fables, but lean towards the interaction between man and nature - rather than nature and nature. In Cold Wind, man is depicted as a force of chaos, and the spirits of nature are portrayed as forces of order. This is the key aspect of Caldari fables, I think, in that instead of focusing on good or evil, they focus on order versus chaos. They focus on appealing to the good of the collective and of "careful thought, careful action". The Caldari fables tend to teach a lesson to those listening.

It is also important to note that a fable doesn't always make sense. Logical fallacies and artistic liberty for the purpose of teaching a specific lesson are common in these sorts of stories. The story warns against ambition because 'bad things happen' to those who are ambitious, which isn't true at all. Bad things happen to stupid people, not ambitious people.... but that isn't the lesson the story is trying to teach, so that isn't how the story is told.

Fables are often little more than scare tactics designed to warn children of the dangers of the real world, wrapped in the veneer of a fanciful tale with talking trees and bunnies and trolls and giants. Take a look at the Grimm Brothers' original works. It's some pretty dark shit, but it had a lesson in there. Red Riding Hood was a warning about rapists. It wasn't a warning that actual wolves are going to dress in your grandmother's clothing.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Short answer, no you can certainly give it a go. Just try and stick to the theme and formatting, so it can easily mesh with other fables both PF and player made.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2013, 13:13 by Katrina Oniseki »

Anslol

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:20 »

I was always interested in fables like the Amarr that may or may not hint to an ancient race assisting the young races, instead of gods. The cold wind chronicle, to me, depicts some form of advanced entity trying to shape the fledgling Caldari...I dunno, I'll think about stuff.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:36 »

I was always interested in fables like the Amarr that may or may not hint to an ancient race assisting the young races, instead of gods. The cold wind chronicle, to me, depicts some form of advanced entity trying to shape the fledgling Caldari...I dunno, I'll think about stuff.

Honestly, I don't think you should stray too far into the Science-Fiction aspect of aliens helping the Caldari rebuild. I can understand how you may interpret Cold Wind to be such, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to write out new fables explicitly with that in mind. That's just my opinion though. I just don't think it fits with the flavor.

Anslol

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:43 »

Jita 4-4?
Aliens.

But no I agree. I'll think of...something....if I'm not forced to FC for ONE NIGHT.

Vincent Pryce

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2013, 13:53 »

Jita 4-4?
Aliens.

But no I agree. I'll think of...something....if I'm not forced to FC for ONE NIGHT.

It puts the FC on its skin or else it gets the pod again!

Anslol

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2013, 14:12 »

Betch you don't even fly with us. You don't know me! YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

Galm Fae

• Wulver / Fury / Pixy
  • Clonejack
  • Yo buddy, still alive?
« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2013, 23:21 »

I really enjoy all the conversing going on in this thread! I also really liked the fable, really captured that Caldari mindset.

I've been busy lately, but tomorrow I hope to draft a quick Caldari legend I have been thinking up. Though for this story in particular I am thinking about making it less of a children's story and more a condensed version of a tale up to par with the Iliad.

Sounds strange, I know, but give me some time to prove myself. XD