EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > The Summit (IG Channel Discussion)

Helpful suggestions for dealing with The Summit

(1/4) > >>

Tiberious Thessalonia:
I think its a good idea to have a thread where we can post what we personally consider to be helpful suggestions concerning the Summit and how to deal with it, the people in it, and its moderation.

None of these are rules!  Half of these are in jest!

This one isn't.

1) if you block a moderator, and that moderator gives you a warning, you will not get the warning.  This will likely result in your being kicked from the channel because you won't know to stop the offending behavior!  Oh, go ahead and ignore us as players and characters, but its probably not a great idea to hit the block button entirely.

If the problem between you and the moderator is serious enough to require you to block them, it's probably a better idea to forward the other moderators examples of the offending behavior.  This will not guarantee that anything will be done, of course, but we'll at least take a look at it and see which of the following three categories it fits into.

A) Things that we can talk to the other moderator about, if the problem is extant but non-serious
B) Things that we can forward to Graelyn if the problem is extant and serious
C) Funny and we can laugh at it

Morwen Lagann:
I suppose I should note (publicly) that this post was probably made in response to my 24-hour removal of Aracturus from the Summit last night after an IC display that caused someone to leave the channel in a state of nausea, to which two moderators' warnings were either argued with (Esna's) or outright ignored (mine).

Here's the deal in general with this sort of thing, from my perspective:

* If you're gonna be a dick/troll to people, fine. That's your right, within reason and channel rules. But don't expect people to be sympathetic to you if/when someone responds in kind. (That isn't to say action won't be taken, but if it is it won't be out of any desire to protect your sensibilities or bruised ego.)
* If you want to block someone who's really bothering you, go right ahead. That's also your right. But blocking a moderator is generally a pretty stupid idea regardless and you should feel stupid if you do it and get kicked or muted as a side effect. It's equally bad form for moderators to block you as well (for what should be obvious reasons), so this goes both ways.
* If you get a warning from a moderator, the appropriate response is some form of polite acknowledgement of the warning, and if necessary, a request to discuss it in private, or an evemail. Not to ignore it or talk back/argue about it in public. We prefer not to get involved if possible, so if a moderator felt the need to step in and take action, chances are your behavior was well past the line of acceptable.
* It doesn't matter whether the moderator who warned you is someone you blocked or not. A moderator warned you. If you missed the warning because you had them blocked, that's your own damn fault and no-one else's, and any complaints about it will be filed immediately and permanently under "C" from Tib's list above.
We're not out to get you or make your life miserable. Honest. But we're going to act in what we perceive to be the best interests of the channel, and sometimes that requires kicking people in the ass a few times.

Katrina Oniseki:
Oh now I get it. Morwen's avatar on Backstage has a cello because she plays the cello IC. I always wondered what that was about.

Casiella:
I don't have a lot of suggestions about how to deal with the moderation because I've only ever noticed it happen once or twice. However, I would say that things I personally like to see in The Summit include:

* Discussion of major wars or political maneuverings
* Really Big Philosophical Chat (e.g. the value of freedom, etc.)
* High-level scientific discussion, although this probably isn't the place for deep nitty gritty I think
Things that I find boring in The Summit:

* Endless "hi how are you" "fine how about yourself?" "oh I'm good, are you sure you're okay?" ad nauseum
* Daily trivia, like emoting munching on snacks
What about you?

Safai:
I thoroughly second everything in Casiella's post.

Would like to add discussions on religion, spirituality and theology in general to the 'like to see' list. Not merely because my character has an easier time jumping into those convos, but I also really like watching them play out from afar so long as the exchange is reasonably intelligent. Fictionalized faith is fertile ground for great roleplay.

However, it's not always everyone's favorite topic, and I realize that heavy faith-based conversations can make some feel just as uncomfortable as they would in real life. If a user, or users, feel particularly distressed by this, the correct thing to do may be to politely change the topic or continue the religious discourse in private.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version