Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Federal member states retain control of their home systems, as seen exercised here?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Templar One: The Movie?  (Read 5015 times)

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Templar One: The Movie?
« Reply #60 on: 28 Mar 2012, 07:31 »

A bit toward the end of the road in continuing disagreeing with Lallara here, but I'll write at least this reply yet. I mean, what's the point? I'm defending and justifying what is there, Lallara is justifying what isn't there. Dust soldiers are coming. They are (effectively) immortal. They will pwn regular soldiers. The empires will utilize them. Case closed. It's out of our hands anyway, so we can only subscribe or gtfo (well, you don't actually need to subscribe for Dust 514, heh).

If the DUSTies are highly augmented then it makes them even more less viable economically.

My earlier point about the empires having to get in on the tech due to the arms race still stands, but this argument in itself baffles me.

Maybe they won't replace all soldiers with Dusties (who is suggesting that anyway?), but effectively you are saying that militaries never go with the expensive option? While there is a certain amount of truism to this (ie. military hardware tends to be made by lowest bidder), but there is a place and need for elite forces. Training and equipping special forces costs a lot more than training conventional forces. This does not result in there being no special forces.

I personally don't buy the fact that just because death is easily overcome by a DUSTie, it will ever become trivial.

There is no training in the world that can overcome the traumatizing effects of being wounded.

Well, I'll just disagree. There certainly is that type of training. Even more so if we can put in the possibility of there being scifi cyber gadgets and gizmos that allow you to change the nature of pain itself.

Also the suicide pill option in these cases would start to encourage suicide in the long run, leading to DUSTers offing themselves when things start to go up shit creek and they are without a paddle.

Granted, they might indeed learn to use suicide as an escape option, but because death holds no consequence, it is unlikely they would do this because they fear death or loss. It is absurd to suggest that effectively immortal soldiers would be more cowardly than mortal ones.

If the soldiers do not have the reason to fight for their lives or even the instinct of survival left because of the triviality of death, through respawnage or constant use of suicide pills, they will be completely ineffective.

See Gottii's post earlier.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Templar One: The Movie?
« Reply #61 on: 28 Mar 2012, 17:55 »

Gotti's Insightful Post II hits the thread for HELLA damage.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]