Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: "Space Lesbians"  (Read 27455 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: "Space Lesbians"
« Reply #225 on: 26 Apr 2013, 13:24 »

Look at it this way, a couple of guys pretending to be ersatz space lesbians and sexing each other up on the internet and finding themselves getting off on the alternative gender roles are quite unlikely be marching around town centres with "death 2 queers" and "faggots burn In hell" placards come their weekend off.

Actually, the opposite makes a lot of sense to me. Most of straight/macho males playing space lesbians and the likes just for the hypersexualisation of it, and the phantasm/nerdgasm that goes with it, do it for the object, not the persona.

It's a direct by-product of something I loath so much that it makes me cringe every time I think of it, which is the "objectification" of females, where females actually turn into sex objects. It's something really present in the lesbian /erotic syndrome in online gaming.

It's literally disgusting, not for the phantasm itself (people can do whatever they want between consenting adults), but for the deeper meaning behind it.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #226 on: 26 Apr 2013, 17:01 »

Well guess its time to burn space lesbians at the stake then and force people to re-roll their female avatars or play proper respectable cross dressing hetro-sexualised archetypes in the future! (or would that be silly)

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013, 17:40 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #227 on: 26 Apr 2013, 17:39 »

well guess its time to burn space lesbians at the stake then and force people to re-roll their female avatars or play proper hetro cross dressers in the future.

As someone that is roleplaying(?) a straight female I'm good though right?

Needs me some validation.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #228 on: 26 Apr 2013, 17:41 »

well guess its time to burn space lesbians at the stake then and force people to re-roll their female avatars or play proper hetro cross dressers in the future.

Only if you have proper authorized "hetro" relations with male characters. (or women playing male characters I guess) :)

(or if you play a celibate amarrian space nun, those are fine too!)

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2013, 17:44 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Sofia Roseburn

• Egger
« Reply #229 on: 26 Apr 2013, 17:44 »

Only if you have proper "hetro" relations with men. (or women playing men I guess) :)

(or if you play a celibate amarrian space nun, those are fine too!)

Last time that happened was a couple of years ago and I cringe at how clunky it was. It'd be interesting to try it again.

Either way, let's not divert.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #230 on: 26 Apr 2013, 17:56 »

That's a bit over-dramatic.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Sofia Roseburn

• Egger
« Reply #231 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:03 »

Yeah, I totally agree. Just tie them to the stake and leave them till they renounce their wicked ways.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #232 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:11 »

Yeah, I totally agree. Just tie them to the stake and leave them till they renounce their wicked ways.

Cold baths and electro shock therapy might work.

Sofia Roseburn

• Egger
« Reply #233 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:14 »

Cold baths and electro shock therapy might work.

The former is good for weight loss too I hear.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #234 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:25 »

I find it a bit tacky to make jokes about killing and torturing lesbians in a thread where two posters have said they're lesbians.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #235 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:28 »

For that matter, what do the genuine lesbians in our audience make of real life trannies, transgendered and drag queens? Does the crass hyper sexualisation of feminine aspects on view offend sensibilities to a similar extent?

'Trannies?' Seriously?

Transwomen are women. They are not a 'crass hyper sexualization.' Some of them might be highly sexual but what a woman chooses to do with her body and who she does it with isn't comparable to men role-playing as lesbians online.

That leaves drag queens, and drag typically involves camp, not getting off.

You're kind of grasping at straws here.

There may be some linguistic confusion here. In the UK, the term trannie can be shorthand for transvestite as well as transsexual (both pre and post op) - perhaps what you would see as a drag queen would be the tamer children's panto version of transvestism that is quite innocent, but full transvestism amongst consenting adults certainly moves into the realms of erotic encounters and as you so delicately term it "getting off".

Here is a great article on why the term tranny is offensive.

As to the question of crass hypersexualisation, both you and the poster above misread the question I actually asked by changing the quotes around to simulate an offensive allusion ... please don't do it. I specifically addressed the correlation between real lesbians being offended by fake online lesbians portraying sexuality in a crass manner, and real lesbians (of whom I have many amongst my friends in Brighton) perhaps being offended at the crass hypersexualisation of feminine aspects on view amongst transvestites attending bars and clubs around my home town (some of which also happen to be amongst my friends).

I wondered aloud if you would be as offended by a pair of men dressed as women flirting at a dance club irl as you might be by a pair of men playing sexualised female characters in an online game?

I really don't know what you mean by "men dressed as women" and there's a pretty large spectrum of ways that statement could be read, going from only mildly offensive to rather offensive. The fact of that matter is, that gender is never clear cut and I think its huge mistake to try to police gender expression in this manner. Would I be a bit bugged by a male cisgendered crossdresser flirting with me? Only if they were being duplicitous about it for some reason, but I have quite literally never experienced this, and most CDs I know are rather upfront about it. Are crossdressers not allowed to flirt or something?

The idea that a cisgendered male crossdresser is by default a 'crass hypersexualisation of feminine aspects' or that portraying femininity in a sexual manner by men is inherently negative seems rather bogus to me. Feminine gay men exist. Saying that only women can be feminine, or portray feminine sexuality puts certain ownership of a way of being, which I see as faintly sexist and gender essentialist at best and transmisogynist at worst.

The idea is... how does one even define gender? When is something considered "Acceptable" as a way of acting for one gender but not for the other? How is this not sexist? This happens all the time in the trans community, and its really annoying. The stereotypical "requirements" that trans people are held to are silly. Consider the expectations people seem to have of your average MtF trans person; most people hold these trans peoples to such a ridiculously strict stereotype that their own mother couldn't even remotely come close to meeting the expectations of. No "true" female, by their reckoning, would ever match their impossible definition of what it is to be a "woman", yet they hold a trans woman to do this impossible task of fitting in beyond realistic expectations.

I think that anyone attempting to define gender appropriate conduct for anyone else other themselves is sliding down a slippery slope to nowhere full of frustration, judgment and stress.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #236 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:37 »

I find it a bit tacky to make jokes about killing and torturing lesbians in a thread where two posters have said they're lesbians.

we're talking about space lesbians - you know those awful men that play female characters in spaceship games. Don't worry, nobody is suggesting it might be funny to torture real ones.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #237 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:41 »

See, you've got to make use of the shift key, to make it clear, Jade. "Space Lesbians", not space lesbians. Don't want to confuse Space Lesbians with lesbians in space...

Am I the only one who's reminded of this, suddenly?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #238 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:45 »

Can we all just agree at least that "Space Lesbian" is an utterly stupid meme and we should work as a community to stop using it? Its crap. I understand the stereotypical bad roleplayer that you're attempting to call out with it, but there are better ways that don't marginalize all lesbian characters or make lesbian players feel uncomfortable about playing their own orientations.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #239 on: 26 Apr 2013, 18:51 »

See, you've got to make use of the shift key, to make it clear, Jade. "Space Lesbians", not space lesbians. Don't want to confuse Space Lesbians with lesbians in space...

Am I the only one who's reminded of this, suddenly?
Sure sure, we're taking the piss out of S P A C E  L E S B I A N S
Not SERIOUS SPACE LESBIANS OR LESBIANS IN SPACE which are quite different things... clearly.

Though I think I'd like another term to describe SPACE RELATIONSHIPS with men playing women and women playing pretend lesbians while actually both parts are kinda hetro though the chap is dressing up like a lady and the women pretends she doesn't know. Is there a word for that?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17