Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Author Topic: Dev Post: [Odyssey] Large Energy Turrets  (Read 2094 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Dev Post: [Odyssey] Large Energy Turrets
« on: 12 Apr 2013, 13:19 »

Yet more changes, they are afoot.

Such an exciting week here on features and ideas!

We are continuously making adjustments around the new battleships, both based on our own assessments and on your feedback. This topic is partly the result of that feedback, and also partly due to more internal testing and discussion.

We feel convinced that in their currently proposed state, Amarr battleships would have likely caused problems for lower skillpoint pilots trying to earn a living in Eve. There were many avenues we could have chosen to address this problem, including a re-design of the Apocalypse, but we feel very happy with it's direction and wanted to keep it if possible. So, instead we are proposing the following:

-10% capacitor need for Large Pulse Lasers
-20% capacitor need for Large Beam Lasers
-10% powergrid need for Large Beam Lasers

This also acts as a continuation of CCP Fozzie's work on energy turrets during Cruiser Tiericide which you can look at here: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=155001&find=unread

Just like the Battleships themselves, public testing will be helpful in showing whether or not these changes are on target.

Thanks for all of your input!

CCP Rise

Looks like a suitable fix to the major cap issues of the Apoc/Abaddon to me :)

Apoc may actually be able to fit a rack of Tachyons now.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Dev Post: [Odyssey] Large Energy Turrets
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:14 »

Judging by the thread, Apoc still needs some fitting mods to fit a full 8 Tachs, but far less than it did.

Overall, I am of the opinion that -something- along these lines is going to be absolutely necessary if the proposed changes to the Apoc go through; they will also make the Abaddon a bit less painful in extended fights.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:18 »

Nah, if you actually read what they wrote.

They mean that your SPs should mean shit, and everyone would have to get the full bang for their buck even if they have just started to play the game.

Wohoo, get ISK for PLEX, training since the start of EVE should mean nothing.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOooooooOOOOOOooooo!!!

That is what these new tweaks are all about.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2013, 16:28 »

Putting aside that the Odyssey!Apoc was pretty cap unstable even with perfect skills - but forgive me if I am wrong, hasn't that kind of been a point of EVE for a long time? Diminishing returns over the long term and all?

Let's not forget that even WITH these changes, a player with perfect skills (energy grid stuff, mechanics stuff, controlled bursts, adv. weapon upgrades) is still going to be individually superior to someone who just ground into a battleship after starting the game. However, the new player will no longer be utterly useless and cap dead in 30 seconds, and the veteran player will be able to last longer as well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2013, 17:31 »

Putting aside that the Odyssey!Apoc was pretty cap unstable even with perfect skills - but forgive me if I am wrong, hasn't that kind of been a point of EVE for a long time? Diminishing returns over the long term and all?

Let's not forget that even WITH these changes, a player with perfect skills (energy grid stuff, mechanics stuff, controlled bursts, adv. weapon upgrades) is still going to be individually superior to someone who just ground into a battleship after starting the game. However, the new player will no longer be utterly useless and cap dead in 30 seconds, and the veteran player will be able to last longer as well.

Pretty much this. Skills have 5 levels each, many giving a 5% bonus or whatever, with a 25% boost to that stat once maxed. That's great, but the difference between a level 4 and level 5 skill can mean double the time or more that it took you to go from level 0 to 4 in that skill, and in most cases you don't need level 5 to get to the other skills that rely on that. For instance, advanced whatever-turret require level 4 in the basic turret skill. Level 5 in any base turret skill is only the icing on the cake, and level 4 is still 20% boost to the stat as opposed to 25%.

The old-timer who has trained all these skills to 5 (and have way more skills in general for far more diversity) will still have his edge, but he will not totally out-class his 'average on level4 skills' opponent.

As an example, I have not bothered to go get level 5 in any weapon spec skill because the time it takes to get a 2% boost is unacceptable to me when there are so many other skills to train instead.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2013, 20:28 »

As someone who has non-capital energy skills all at 5, I don't see this as catring to new players so much as fixing something that has been broken for a long time. When a huge majority of ships that fit a particular weapon system need a cap bonus to be viable, this seems like the right move for players of every experience level.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2013, 23:24 »

As someone who has non-capital energy skills all at 5, I don't see this as catring to new players so much as fixing something that has been broken for a long time. When a huge majority of ships that fit a particular weapon system need a cap bonus to be viable, this seems like the right move for players of every experience level.

It might make the issues with the Abaddon a bit more reasonable.

Oh, incidentally, I have all sub-capital turret skills at V. Just saying.  :P

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2013, 23:20 »

Oh god, I might be able to fit a decent Paladin now  :twisted:
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2013, 19:01 »

Don't care much about the fitting changes, but without the cap ship bonus 10% for cap use seems a bit weak to me?

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2013, 19:05 »

I suspect this is going to be one of those "let it be for a few months, if they are going unused then we'll tweak it more" things. I'm also thinking that CCP is looking to offset the DPS capabilities of Amarr battleships somewhat, as the updated Apocalypse is going to spew fiery death all over the place if allowed to. Forcing to be booster-dependant is one way of mitigating it from becoming to far OP.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:33 »

Mh, I wish I could be more excited about this.  :(

The simple fact that FW focuses mostly around cruiser and down ships (yay!) prevents me from flying BS's as often as I used to ( :( )

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2013, 12:50 »

I too miss the FW BS fights.

Anslol

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2013, 08:45 »

Neat, my Nightmare and Paladin might not cap out as easily now.

Dewgong

• The Seacow
  • Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2013, 13:38 »

This is cool and all but I want beams to be fixed, and this is barely scratching the surface on that.  Otherwise, Pulses will still rape.

Scorch and Conflag forever.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2013, 16:02 »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani