EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > Player Driven Content

Character Ink

<< < (3/4) > >>

Samira Kernher:

--- Quote from: Casserina Leshrac on 27 Jun 2017, 14:36 ---I don't however see anything in the current Lore where there is an official view of the Sani Sabik via the Matari side of things (I could be wrong). Because as far as the Lore goes. Only in the Amarr Empire being a Sani Sabik is illegal. It is acceptable elsewhere. Which mean she could marry a tribal elder and still be true to her faith.
--- End quote ---

It might not be strictly illegal, and such sects certainly exist within the Republic, though my point was more about public opinion rather than legality. The Republic in general, and especially the Krusual Tribe, is very antagonistic towards followers of Amarr-based faiths (with Sanism included, its presence in the Republic is referred to as a 'cult' in recent news articles), and Minmatar are not quite as afraid of capsuleers as people in other empires. My point wasn't to say you can't do it, mind, just that it is good to consider such things while RPing as your character is presenting it publicly via her tattoos. I'm speaking from similar experience, as I play an Amarr faithful who lived in the Republic for a decade. I RP that she was regularly harassed and felt very unsafe in the Republic as a result of her faith.

[spoiler=References]From EVE Source:

--- Quote ---The presence of Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion is a major source of social tension within the Minmatar Republic...

... it is usual and wise for Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion [in the Republic] to practice their faith in private.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The Krusual have less patience than any other tribe for former Minmatar slaves who continue to follow the Amarr religion.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---[The Krusual] are perhaps the most clannish of all the tribes and are the least inclined to work with those from other clans and tribes...

... The Krusual [emphasize] a highly traditional tribal life...
--- End quote ---

From EVElopedia:

--- Quote ---... it is said that non-Minmatar capsuleers who baseline in the Republic must take extra precautions, as a blind eye is often turned to violence and other crimes against capsuleers, especially when the authorities consider such acts justified.
--- End quote ---

From recent EVE news:

--- Quote ---The Tribal Council has recently been meeting more frequently and regularly than usual in closed session to "discuss matters of interstellar security and current challenges facing the Minmatar people". Matters for discussion are believed to include the so-called "Drifter Crisis", the recent spate of attacks by Blood Raider Covenant and Sani Sabik cultist forces, and the continuing issues of the border war and "slaver crimes" relating to the Amarr Empire.

The news comes at a time of increased non-tribal cult activity on Matar and other Minmatar planets, involving Sani Sabik sects, Salvation Church of Blessed Servitude branches and various “fusion faiths”, apparently in response to recent interstellar events.
--- End quote ---
[/spoiler]

Casserina Leshrac:

--- Quote from: Samira Kernher on 27 Jun 2017, 18:06 ---
--- Quote from: Casserina Leshrac on 27 Jun 2017, 14:36 ---I don't however see anything in the current Lore where there is an official view of the Sani Sabik via the Matari side of things (I could be wrong). Because as far as the Lore goes. Only in the Amarr Empire being a Sani Sabik is illegal. It is acceptable elsewhere. Which mean she could marry a tribal elder and still be true to her faith.
--- End quote ---

It might not be strictly illegal, and such sects certainly exist within the Republic, though my point was more about public opinion rather than legality. The Republic in general, and especially the Krusual Tribe, is very antagonistic towards followers of Amarr-based faiths (with Sanism included, its presence in the Republic is referred to as a 'cult' in recent news articles), and Minmatar are not quite as afraid of capsuleers as people in other empires. My point wasn't to say you can't do it, mind, just that it is good to consider such things while RPing as your character is presenting it publicly via her tattoos. I'm speaking from similar experience, as I play an Amarr faithful who lived in the Republic for a decade. I RP that she was regularly harassed and felt very unsafe in the Republic as a result of her faith.

[spoiler=References]From EVE Source:

--- Quote ---The presence of Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion is a major source of social tension within the Minmatar Republic...

... it is usual and wise for Minmatar adherents of the Amarr religion [in the Republic] to practice their faith in private.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The Krusual have less patience than any other tribe for former Minmatar slaves who continue to follow the Amarr religion.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---[The Krusual] are perhaps the most clannish of all the tribes and are the least inclined to work with those from other clans and tribes...

... The Krusual [emphasize] a highly traditional tribal life...
--- End quote ---

From EVElopedia:

--- Quote ---... it is said that non-Minmatar capsuleers who baseline in the Republic must take extra precautions, as a blind eye is often turned to violence and other crimes against capsuleers, especially when the authorities consider such acts justified.
--- End quote ---

From recent EVE news:

--- Quote ---The Tribal Council has recently been meeting more frequently and regularly than usual in closed session to "discuss matters of interstellar security and current challenges facing the Minmatar people". Matters for discussion are believed to include the so-called "Drifter Crisis", the recent spate of attacks by Blood Raider Covenant and Sani Sabik cultist forces, and the continuing issues of the border war and "slaver crimes" relating to the Amarr Empire.

The news comes at a time of increased non-tribal cult activity on Matar and other Minmatar planets, involving Sani Sabik sects, Salvation Church of Blessed Servitude branches and various “fusion faiths”, apparently in response to recent interstellar events.
--- End quote ---
[/spoiler]

--- End quote ---

First thanks for the info. Looks like some of our RP will be trailblazing new territory.

The thing as I have discovered about the Sani Sabik Faith is the vast majority of it is in fact purely non-Amarrian. I can see a lot of sects being a fusion variety for a number of reason. Also we have the Krusual the least understood of the Tribes since they are mostly NPC's. For example my character is married to a Krusual despite the fact she is Sani Sabik. She married in the Krusual traditions as outworlder.

No blood was during the marriage and such practices would not dare be done on planet.

Teinyhr:

--- Quote from: Casserina Leshrac on 21 Jun 2017, 15:45 ---I don't know if this has been done before so  but I will ask a simple question.

Does your character have tattoos and do they have symbolic meaning to them.

--- End quote ---

Since tattoos are kind of a Big Cultural Deal in Minmatar society, all tattoos Tein has have some kind of meaning to them. She has a voluval mark, she obviously has the name/tribe/clan tattoos like most minmatar do, and some rarer tattoos such as those that mark her as an Empyrean, and as a Republic Fleet pilot - altough she was that very briefly, she got the tattoo along with her classmates and it was later modified to show that she no longer is in active duty roster.

Notable exception here is the tattoo I have as the most visible one in the game - it is there just to look cool / minmatarey and I in fact don't consider it to actually exist as I have not managed to think of a reason for it to exist - tattoos on the face are considered of great importance and not handed out all willy-nilly. I wonder if anyone else thinks the same way? That they don't acknowledge the tattoos they have in-game.

Samira Kernher:
Voluvals are the ones that don't appear very often on the face and are considered of great importance if they do appear there. Naming tattoos on the other hand are exclusively facial tattoos.

From the article you linked:

--- Quote ---After the Voluval ceremony the young Minmatar will receive her permanent naming mark which will reside forever on her face. This mark will identify the name, clan and tribe of that Minmatar, plain for all other Minmatar to see. In such a way, two Minmatar meeting for the first time can immediately know these fundamental specifics about each other.
--- End quote ---

So what your character has would be a naming tattoo. :)

Teinyhr:
I thought facial tattoos in general were kind of a big deal, with the visibility of the tattoos being a defining factor in their "value system", so in modern clothing ones on the hands and face would be the most prestigious and reserved for the most extraordinary feats one can achieve?

As for the "raccoon eyes" style tattoo visible on my avatar, I wouldn't consider it a naming tattoo, mainly because I've headcanonized naming tattoo something akin to a barcode - since all Minmatar would need to understand these, it would have to be standardized in some way and infact could possibly be just plain text.
Of course like in many things Minmatar I don't think we have any canon information what the naming tattoos are actually like - intricate patterns, text, or heck, even barcodes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version