Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Everyone Vs. Everyone - Disconnect from Core Gameplay  (Read 3554 times)

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
Re: Everyone Vs. Everyone - Disconnect from Core Gameplay
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2012, 10:07 »

tbh, it sounds like you've been playing eve for a while and realized that you don't actually enjoy the game.

What other games do you enjoy?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Other than EvE, the games I lose the most time in are things like the Endless Ocean series, or Leela (both on Wii).  My Steam account is full of Sim games.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:35 »

I think an important question here is: Do you want a playstyle that is somewhat competitive, or not?

There are options in both cases, but they will be different. Trade, for example, can be done in just an hour or so a day (there are many sorts of trade, ofc) - but some of the ways you can do it are more 'head to head' with other players than other ways. I used to do trade for just a little time each day, but with very high value items, and it was fairly brutally competitive with just a couple other players who traded int he same items.

On the other hand, you could just find price imbalances across regions, do a bit of hauling, and undercut locals with your sell order - that's somewhat less of a .1 isk game (depending on what you're selling).

You could do courier missions until you have the faction standing to set up POSs in high sec, then sell your services doing that to the highest bidders. There are some fairly novel ways to make a living in Eve.

As far as IC, the GRIMDARK, etc. - just because the setting is sometimes a little unpleasant doesn't mean your character has to be. I've seen a lot of characters that were downright bubbly even in the face of all of the setting's unpleasantness.

Uraniae

• Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:43 »

I feel like I might be in much the same situation, Techie.  I've never been particularly drawn to EVE pvp, and as a result I've tried most of the other options available to me in the game.  I've tried to enjoy missions, and for a time they can be fun.  I've tried to break into industry and marketeering with some success but not a lot of real "fun."  I've lived in 0.0 ratting, hauling, mining and patrolling the area.  In the long run I've had the most fun doing exploration, but even then after more than a year of that it sort of gets dull too.  I had really high (silly) hopes for PI being a lot more involved and actually playing like a light City Building sim, and we all know it's nowhere near anything like that.

I really wish there was something I could personally recommend for you to try and pull yourself into the game and have long term fun with, but I'm looking for exactly that myself.  In the end I feel like I'm in a position where I have to learn to enjoy EVE's pvp or really throw myself into much more social, team play with the other aspects I currently find a bit dull on my own.

I suppose in the end all I can offer for advice is "get involved with others, because even if what you are doing together is a bit dull, just doing it with other people makes it more memorable and fun."  I also need to take my own advice I think.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2012, 12:54 »

There are many, many groups that would be interested in full-time POS operators.  Groups that have a lot of structures in space need pilots to help maintain them.  Fueling, manufacturing, anchoring, etc.  Combat pilots are not always interested in these activities, and most groups would be happy to have someone solely interested in the 'back of house' administration of infrastructure.

Plenty of RP requires 0 isk as well.

Furthermore ISK is only a tool.  I've never understood the desire for the 'accumulation of wealth' in this game, just for the sake of having more.  It only lets you do certain things. If you aren't interested in doing things that require ISK (bigger ships, bigger explosions), then don't feel any need to accumulate any.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2012, 13:51 »

But if I stop accumulating ISK, what will I roll around in?

The get involved with others thing is probably your best bet. I can tell you that a player who enjoys non-PvP stuff like keeping everything up and running in incredibly valuable - whether or not it is a PVP corp you are in.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2012, 14:26 »

Ya know, I could have used someone like Techie when I was running an invention pos in hisec. I probably still have that hisec tower too, it's not like it's in prime real estate.

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2012, 15:54 »

Thanks for the insight folks, but I'll be honest...

I've played EVE my entire time for other people.  Now that I'm trying to play it on my own...I'm finding my interests don't lie here.  I'm gonna take a few days to see what I can do, at least.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2012, 15:55 »

What Silver said.  Dont let the pvp epeen fighter jocks tell you its the only way to play this game.  There are a lot of creative ways to make ISK, make a legacy, and make a good time.

Silvers right, trading is brutal and relentless, and quite lucrative.  I had a blast doing it, and made ridiculous amounts of ISK, and learned a lot about the world and its economics while doing so. 

(btw Silver, it was Mila Aruno....**** that guy...and Noob zone too)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2012, 16:31 »

Dont let the pvp epeen fighter jocks tell you its the only way to play this game.

I'm actually not.  What I'm looking at is the outlook the game creators themselves have....

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #24 on: 19 Nov 2012, 16:41 »

(btw Silver, it was Mila Aruno....**** that guy...and Noob zone too)

Yeah. Man. Fuck that guy and his shield boosters too.

Back on topic, players have a pretty good track record of taking the ways that CCP looks to define the game, and ignoring it to define the game the way they want to. I hope you find something in Eve you enjoy. For a lot of us that have been playing for a long time, it's mostly the community that keeps us around, regardless of what we do in the game. Ironically the community in a lot of ways is a lot better here than many places, for all that the universe (and many player interactions) are so grim.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #25 on: 19 Nov 2012, 19:39 »

Kinda skimmed and so I'm not sure if someone suggested this already, but you can make ISK by buying, researching, and then selling, BPOs. Some people would rather pay for someone else to have done the research on blueprints for them.

It takes the initial investment of the POS + labs + fuel + BPOs to research (you might even find people willing to loan part of it), but it can provide a reasonable income.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 19 Nov 2012, 21:41 »

Ironically the community in a lot of ways is a lot better here than many places, for all that the universe (and many player interactions) are so grim.

I've been enjoying the community interactions in gw2 a lot more than I did the last year in Eve.

Just saying...

(it is a very weird experience going to GW2 having not played an MMO other than Eve before, for reasons other than the community.)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2012, 07:44 »

Thank you very much for the ISK generation ideas.

Still torn about what to do.  After all, if I got the ISK in the first place, I'd just be giving it away to RP projects in the community.  It's becoming a vicious cycle of me playing for everyone else, doing what everyone else wants, never taking a thing for myself (credit, isk, anything).

Hell, 8 years ago I started on a character named Izanagi Raiden.  I did it to help a friend of mine run his corp.  It was not fun...

...it's never been fun.

EVE is my job.  I'm clinging to it currently as the only thing productive in my life.

...Yeah, I think I just made my decision.

Thank you all for your help.

Jev North

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2012, 08:01 »

Good decision. I'll miss the Corp Beagle, but living for others at your own expense is pretty much as bad as living for yourself at others' expense. You gotta do what's right for you!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2012, 09:23 »

I can relate to the OP, so I will try to type out a post on this silly Smartphone.

I have never been into the pew-pew side of Eve either. Not particularly social either. I did not mind doing PvE when it was not a goal in itself, such as running little documented Cosmos missions or collecting all the necessary pieces for booster production and doing it solo. Both activities does require
 some investment, but can turn an ok profit.

Did a lot of good exploration on those topics. And as an alternative to the Grimdark, I made a pharmaceutical corporation which its own refugee relief project.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 09:26 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3