Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Mittani: RIP vile_rat  (Read 7728 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: The Mittani: RIP vile_rat
« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2012, 20:30 »

Indeed.

For me, it is not the visceral, deep pain when someone you knew directly or cared for dies.

It is the cruel, sudden reminder that we are still all humans, with human troubles and human dangers to our lives. However much we may be intellectually aware that there are humans on the other end of the chat, behind that voice on the comms, in that ship we fly alongside, we often tend to regard all but the closest of online friends as, on some level, detached from the rest of reality. We are, after all, brought together primarily by a game about flying spaceships in an alternate galaxy.

I see this in some of the snippets of messages from other goons that have been posted: They talk about him repeatedly going AFK due to mortars or alerts all the time, then coming back later. Even though I'm sure they didn't doubt he was actually in mortal danger, they came to regard it as something that ultimately couldn't detach him from them for longer than a few hours.

And then in a second, those people are gone - not "yeah, taking a break for a bit to deal with RL", not "be right back, got to deal with something" - gone, gone, gone. And it's a nasty wake-up call for those who've not had this happen before, and even some who have.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2012, 04:27 »

Yeah well, same. It is a sad thing, much like the day a guy in a friendly corp disappeared for weeks before we learned that he killed himself.

As much as I find it sad, I am not sure what to think of all of this. It seems to have blown out of proportion. Because he was famous ? Or maybe that's what he wanted ? Because that's a political context ? Or just because :goon: ? Maybe, maybe not.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2012, 05:01 »

How many stations were named after Dark Elf? Verone might be able to tell you.

How many were named after Dracous? Only one; OOY-Z Dracous station. It was meant to be named that forever in reminder of a guy who died in a car accident IIRC, about a month before I joined ASCN. I never met the man, but my new corp-mates spoke of him fondly, and I was a bit proud to not only base out of an actual player station (that I was tasked with helping defend) but an actual reminder-totem for a guy that has well respected, like most players should be.

Then it was handed to BoB in a betrayal, who (from what I've heard) kept the name, then they lost it to the Russians, who didn't respect the name. I have no idea what this station is named today, nor will I know what all those Vile Rat stations will be named in 2 months. It's highly likely, not all of them will be named after him.

IIRC Vile Rat was ASCN once upon a time, so I knew of him from before he became a greatGoonFriend, but I never knew him. I find it hard to genuinely grieve, and honestly feel a bit like the universal (literal in EVE's case) mourning period is played up to some extent. The Goons are sad, and they should, but everyone else follows suit and suddenly care so much as well.

R.I.P Sean Smith, but the stations dedicated to your EVE persona will be back to their old names in due time, and I don't feel sorry for it.
I do however, feel sorry for you, and hope you family and friends find some peace sooner rather than later.

o7

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #33 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:54 »

I had some very limited interaction with him, and I'm sure he wouldn't have known me except possibly by name when I was actively blogging, so I count him as an acquaintance, not friend.

That said, we had many mutual friends, people I genuinely know and care about outside of EVE, and so because of that I share their grief.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 14 Sep 2012, 19:18 »

I only spoke to Vilerat once.
The conversation ended with me knowing that goonswarm was not the place for me.
This still hits home in a viscerally hard manner.

Fly safe Vilerat.
My thoughts are with those left behind, may they also find peace of mind.

-Dave

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #35 on: 16 Sep 2012, 16:03 »

I've been on vacation the past week, and just found out about this as I was reviewing links to remove, now that the unsub has hit.   :(

Though I've been at odds with the SA community since my Second Life days, my heart still goes out to them, and to Sean's family.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #36 on: 16 Sep 2012, 16:18 »

Indeed.

For me, it is not the visceral, deep pain when someone you knew directly or cared for dies.

It is the cruel, sudden reminder that we are still all humans, with human troubles and human dangers to our lives. However much we may be intellectually aware that there are humans on the other end of the chat, behind that voice on the comms, in that ship we fly alongside, we often tend to regard all but the closest of online friends as, on some level, detached from the rest of reality. We are, after all, brought together primarily by a game about flying spaceships in an alternate galaxy.

I see this in some of the snippets of messages from other goons that have been posted: They talk about him repeatedly going AFK due to mortars or alerts all the time, then coming back later. Even though I'm sure they didn't doubt he was actually in mortal danger, they came to regard it as something that ultimately couldn't detach him from them for longer than a few hours.

And then in a second, those people are gone - not "yeah, taking a break for a bit to deal with RL", not "be right back, got to deal with something" - gone, gone, gone. And it's a nasty wake-up call for those who've not had this happen before, and even some who have.

I think that really sums up how I feel. Its not deep grieving, after all I never really knew Vile Rate. But his death definitely leaves this hollowness, a reminder of the mortality of our own loved ones and ourselves. Since it happened, I've been slightly nervous every time I have to let my boyfriend out of my sight, for fear he might just not come back. It must be a horrible feeling, actually having knew Sean, much less been on chat with him, and had him leave, just never returning. How quickly lives can be snatched away....
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2012, 09:05 »

For those of you who wish to support Sean's family, you can make a donation here: http://www.youcaring.com/fundraiser_details?fundraiser_id=9332&url=benefitforseansmithsfamily

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2012, 21:18 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19680785

Seems a large section of the Libyan population took exception to the attacks.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #39 on: 22 Sep 2012, 20:38 »

And because we all need a tiny bit of levity injected here:

Glenn Beck thinks the Goonswarm is a CIA front

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #40 on: 22 Sep 2012, 20:43 »

Bird dog, bird dog.  I say again, bird dog.  The hammock is compromised.  The hammock is compromised.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 22 Sep 2012, 21:17 »

Bird dog, bird dog.  I say again, bird dog.  The hammock is compromised.  The hammock is compromised.

lol

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 23 Sep 2012, 23:13 »

This is hysterical on so many levels.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #43 on: 01 Oct 2012, 10:06 »

Remarkably haunting video put together by Rixx Javix and Aiden Mourn, promoting the Ring of Fire Project. The Ring of Fire is a proposed in-game object, or place, or landmark, that holds a memorial for all eve players to have passed on.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=153916

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC0vbbHJb-0&feature=player_embedded

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 19 Mar 2013, 18:18 »

Bit of a necro, but Playboy published a fantastic article on Sean Smith just recently. Came across it on Failheap today. Link NSFW, if anyone has issues with clicking it I'm happy to quote the article in a post, but it's quite long so I won't spam up the thread with it unless someone asks.

http://www.playboy.com/playground/view/vile-rat-virtual-world-of-eve-online
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4