Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers resurfaced in YC106 to protest the monopoly then held by the empires on deadspace warp beacon technology.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Mittani: RIP vile_rat  (Read 7729 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: The Mittani: RIP vile_rat
« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2012, 19:04 »

This was linked in OOC chat and it actually had me in tears, its really heartwarming. Faith in Humanity +10

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

Yeah it's important to not let the media shift things out of perspective.

Syagrius

• Egger
    • Memoirs of a Madman.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2012, 19:04 »

I don’t know how to respond to tragedies such as this.  My thoughts are with his friends and family.  Know that even strangers mourn his death and celebrate his life with you.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2012, 20:31 »

Told a buddy about this today and he replied, "Yea, surprise, gamers are people too."  Easy to forget how mortal we all are playing around as unkillable spaceship captains.  The Mittani mentioned he was on voice when something broke out nearby and then he never came back.  Chilling.  Anyway, I salute Mr Smith for his service.  State guys pay the price too.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2012, 23:14 »

I can't add much beyond what others have said.  RIP Sean Smith.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2012, 23:39 »

This was linked in OOC chat and it actually had me in tears, its really heartwarming. Faith in Humanity +10

http://imgur.com/a/tlCyI

Thank you for linking this.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2012, 02:06 »

The world sickens me.

Terry Jones and Sam Bacile made this movie specifically to kill people. They saw the outrage caused by youtube videos of Americans burning Koran pages (and there have been plenty,) and calculated this movie to cause as much outrage as possible.

Of course, they were gambling on a bunch of faceless, nameless brown people dying in a riot on the other side of the planet. Now that a few Americans have bit the bullet, they're in hiding - purportedly from the threat of Islamic terrorists, but really from the family members of the people they got killed.

Inflammatory documentaries don't kill people, people who get inflamed by them and decide to kill people do. The proposition that offense gives license to force is the proposition that the killers in Libya adhered to.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that the man who was killed died in defense of free speech, because I think that having an embassy in Libya at all is foolish, but I do think that free speech is more important than the religious feelings or political beliefs of any group. And if the exercise of free speech results in violence by those who oppose it, the problem is the violent people, not the speech.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:26 »

The world sickens me.

Terry Jones and Sam Bacile made this movie specifically to kill people. They saw the outrage caused by youtube videos of Americans burning Koran pages (and there have been plenty,) and calculated this movie to cause as much outrage as possible.

Of course, they were gambling on a bunch of faceless, nameless brown people dying in a riot on the other side of the planet. Now that a few Americans have bit the bullet, they're in hiding - purportedly from the threat of Islamic terrorists, but really from the family members of the people they got killed.

Inflammatory documentaries don't kill people, people who get inflamed by them and decide to kill people do. The proposition that offense gives license to force is the proposition that the killers in Libya adhered to.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that the man who was killed died in defense of free speech, because I think that having an embassy in Libya at all is foolish, but I do think that free speech is more important than the religious feelings or political beliefs of any group. And if the exercise of free speech results in violence by those who oppose it, the problem is the violent people, not the speech.

I agree, but again, lets please keep the politics out of this thread. It isn't the time or place.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Desiderya

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2012, 06:27 »

What a stupid world.

There's not much else I can say, this - and the response from the community - has certainly moved me.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2012, 09:04 »

Here's to bravery.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2012, 10:14 »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2012, 11:28 »

If you want to talk about the politics of it, come find me on G+ or Twitter (both are easy to find or just PM me, my RL identity is no secret).

For this thread, though: I'll be pouring one out at EVE Vegas in Sean Smith's memory.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:13 »

Shoot Blues - Tell Vile Rat. :-(
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2012, 16:29 »

Too often one tends to forget the actual persons behind the avatars one interacts with. The something like this happens and one is brutally awakened.

Rest in peace, Sean.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2012, 17:50 »

This makes me sad.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2012, 18:34 »

In EM we had a pilot who'd been flying since he was 14 or so, at the age of 17 he joined the Marines. At 19 or 20 he got shipped to Afgrandstand.

When he left, I suddenly had a voice to tie to someone fighting in Afgrandstand. I've seen some of the stats on how many come back alive (quite high) and how many of those come back damaged with TBI or other injuries. Before that, those were just statistics. Now I was imagining that damage inflicted on someone I knew.

I mourned for him when he left.

Luckily, he came back. As far as I know, in one piece.

I don't know Vile Rat from Adam. Because I didnt know them, I didn't really mourn the NZ soldiers killed a couple of weeks ago in the Afg, and I find it difficult to be all that upset about Sean Smith. He's just a name to me, not someone real, certainly not more real than the other people who die around the world; the people who die in car accidents; the people who die of cancer; the people who had their wedding exploded by remote control; the people who died in car bombs around Iraq; the people who died when the drunk crossed the centre line and head-on connected with their family car.

I don't mourn individually, but I have a low grade background level of wishing the world was a different place than it is. That all those people could have had more life; that nobody need die in tragic ways. That deep down inside, it would be nice if everyone was prepared to get along with each other. I have come to realise though, that there are people out there who don't feel that way. Perhaps they think it's inevitable, and if it has to happen, then they're going to make sure it happens to someone else, not them.

Some days, it depresses me, so I practice not thinking about it.

I never knew Sean Smith or Vile Rat, so I do not mourn, but I have a lot of sympathy for those that did. I hope they find peace in these times, and that they come through it as best as may be hoped for.

« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2012, 20:31 by Ulphus »
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4