Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Gallente politicians on IGS?  (Read 16756 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Gallente politicians on IGS?
« Reply #60 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:11 »

I think the issue is that most of the players don't feel that you or your characters are shedding truth on a fraud.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #61 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:16 »

'Most' of the players don't give a frak. [mod]Please do not cast aspersions on the motivations of other players [/mod]

And my character comes in half way through to voice a dissenting opinion. For a moment I was wondering why the response was so unified, so complete. Then I cross-referenced all the names, and noticed their statements on the IGS. [mod]Please do not cast aspersions on the motivations of other players[/mod]

That leaves us the issue of OOC vs. IC, as it often comes down to. [mod]Please do not cast aspersions on the motivations of other players. [/mod]

« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2010, 20:08 by Ciarente »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #62 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:19 »

OOC, people KNOW that these "characters", are, as far as game-mechanics are concerned, counted as capsuleers. However, for the sake of RP, they have chosen to use their imagination and count these characters as who they say they are. As such, we're all having fun with interaction.

The same way Anette Inhonores is, technically, a capsuleer, but for the sake of RP, people choose to see her as she is; a 10 year old little Gallentean girl.

RP's not all about abiding by the game mechanics, dude.

Otherwise, Souro Foirtain is still president.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #63 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:23 »

"For the sake of RP" is a phrase uttered to justify a great many things. But it breaks every concept of immersion for me to try to accept that the chairpeople of all the major political parties had to somehow hack their way into the capsuleer databases through the Capsuleer Graduate programs of various schools, and couldn't even acquire basic recognition of their official nature from any governmental source.

Continuing on this line of in character analysis, when these same individuals undertake extremely high-profile debates on the Intergalactic Summit, stirring antipathy between allied organizations, such a thing becomes a strategic threat and must be dealt with immediately.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #64 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:25 »

New meme of the day! Talking with capsuleers claiming to be party chairpersons is smart politics. People shedding truth on frauds are insane.

This is nothing new. People telling the truth have often been thought to be insane. Or evil.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:31 »

Regarding the 'leaders', that's already been thoroughly explained through hard-coded database issues on CCP's part. In every case of leadership changes, there have been thorough in-character news and background articles provided to support said changes.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #66 on: 24 Nov 2010, 15:31 »

So have insane people. ;)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #67 on: 24 Nov 2010, 16:48 »

'Most' of the players don't give a frak. The small minority of players that have a vested interest in continuing this shadow boxing match on the IGS want to defend their already well-established RP statements regarding the validity of these Capsuleers.

And my character comes in half way through to voice a dissenting opinion. For a moment I was wondering why the response was so unified, so complete. Then I cross-referenced all the names, and noticed their statements on the IGS. It would tarnish their character's reputations to admit they were dealing with frauds.

That leaves us the issue of OOC vs. IC, as it often comes down to. It seems highly probable that because accepting a differing view point regarding the "politicians" would tarnish their respective characters track records, they will deny the opposition and ignore it.

As near as I can tell, my character has made no statements regarding these characters, and I as a player still disagree with your stance.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #68 on: 24 Nov 2010, 16:58 »

'Most' of the players don't give a frak. The small minority of players that have a vested interest in continuing this shadow boxing match on the IGS want to defend their already well-established RP statements regarding the validity of these Capsuleers.

And my character comes in half way through to voice a dissenting opinion. For a moment I was wondering why the response was so unified, so complete. Then I cross-referenced all the names, and noticed their statements on the IGS. It would tarnish their character's reputations to admit they were dealing with frauds.

That leaves us the issue of OOC vs. IC, as it often comes down to. It seems highly probable that because accepting a differing view point regarding the "politicians" would tarnish their respective characters track records, they will deny the opposition and ignore it.

As near as I can tell, my character has made no statements regarding these characters, and I as a player still disagree with your stance.

^

basically it comes down to this Jules: people are having fun, they're enjoying the roleplay, they know that the characters are really just capsuleers and are choosing to ignore it for fun, and you're pissing on their sandcastles. That's basically what this is about. you ruining other people's fun. shame on you, you fun ruiner.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #69 on: 24 Nov 2010, 16:59 »

I continue interacting because I enjoy it, not because I'm so desperately worried about my character saving face.

The more you hurl pejorative and alarmist imagery on this whole ordeal or try to pin petty motives on others, the more you reveal your purposes, btw.

That leaves us the issue of OOC vs. IC, as it often comes down to. It seems highly probable that because accepting a differing view point regarding the "politicians" would tarnish their respective characters track records, they will deny the opposition and ignore it. If this opposition is brought up on secondary lines of communication, they will simply attack the person who offers said roleplay opportunity.

Which I find about 100 times more acceptable than your doing the exact same thing OOCly (attacking others by presuming self-serving motives on those who RP as if the politicians are who they say they are).

How did you reach this "higly probable" conclusion?  To me it seems a lot more like a contrived accustion with zero evidence being used to discredit others.  It is an ad hominem/poisoning the well tactic.

It is a steaming pile of hypocrisy to boo-hoo about being personally attacked while smearing entire groups of people with idle conjecture about motives
"For the sake of RP" is a phrase uttered to justify a great many things. But it breaks every concept of immersion for me to try to accept that the chairpeople of all the major political parties had to somehow hack their way into the capsuleer databases through the Capsuleer Graduate programs of various schools, and couldn't even acquire basic recognition of their official nature from any governmental source.

I find it more immersion-breaking to find every inconsistency in data displays because the game is limited in the ability to portray certain archetypes and call as much attention to it as possible than to take the options of play along or ignore.

I'm sorry, but if you loudly declare your opposition to a concept, then decide to participate anyways doing as much possible ICly to bring about the very thing you warned against, drawing more attention to the very immersion-breaking elements you stated were your primary issue with it, it is hard to figure out what you want besides to inject piss and vinegar.

So lets find out if this is really your belief applied consistently or just another case of someone being a gadfly.  Do you denounce people writing up planet descriptions, but glazing over the fact that many of them have atmospheres and gravity levels that are not capable of supporting human life?  Or, on the other hand, do you think it is okay to just skip a few obscure lines in order to add a little to the tapestry?

Continuing on this line of in character analysis, when these same individuals undertake extremely high-profile debates on the Intergalactic Summit, stirring antipathy between allied organizations, such a thing becomes a strategic threat and must be dealt with immediately.

It is a strategic threat to a democracy to allow vigorous debate?

I thought that was the basis of their strength?

There's also a huge difference between finding disagreement with one political party's views and turning your back on the entire Federation.  I seriously doubt anyone has ICly undergone a major shift in allegiances becaues of Chairman Octirant or the others.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #70 on: 24 Nov 2010, 17:02 »

Regarding the 'leaders', that's already been thoroughly explained through hard-coded database issues on CCP's part. In every case of leadership changes, there have been thorough in-character news and background articles provided to support said changes.

The goalposts, they have moved!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #71 on: 24 Nov 2010, 17:14 »

So, and I'm just speculating here, if CCP were to post a news item that referenced these politicians participating in the IGS, would that settle things down?

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #72 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:02 »

Which they never will. Unless someone bribes them.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #73 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:10 »

Which they never will.
Well, that very neatly avoids confronting the possibility and the consequences thereof, doesn't it?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #74 on: 24 Nov 2010, 19:10 »

I think I'll withdraw from the thread at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8