Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Hyasyoda megacorporation is part of the 'liberal' faction, but is internally extremely conservative in business and its internal culture, with a great deal of pressure for employees to 'fit in'? It is still largely owned by the founding Osmon family.

Author Topic: Modern Middle-Eastern Kingdoms and the Khanid Kingdom  (Read 896 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Before I start we all know the caveat that we can't directly relate our modern states and society to Eve cultures.

I have found however an interesting parallel.

In our modern world full of democracies, modern technologies, and generally Westernized societies, we still have several nation states that are Kingdoms, such as Saudi Arabia, etc.

I think perhaps in imagining and relating to the Khanid Kingdom we might find some inspiration in how modern-day media discusses and relates to these Kingdoms and their Monarchies operating in a 'modern' world.  How many Saudi Arabians live and act in very Western ways, yet all still operate under a sort of absolute Monarchy.  Lots of behind the scenes power struggles between various factions, but the King is seldom questioned in public.   

This might be way out of left field but I find the topic interesting.

Publius Valerius

Re: Modern Middle-Eastern Kingdoms and the Khanid Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 14:02 »

Before I start we all know the caveat that we can't directly relate our modern states and society to Eve cultures.

I have found however an interesting parallel.

In our modern world full of democracies, modern technologies, and generally Westernized societies, we still have several nation states that are Kingdoms, such as Saudi Arabia, etc.

I think perhaps in imagining and relating to the Khanid Kingdom we might find some inspiration in how modern-day media discusses and relates to these Kingdoms and their Monarchies operating in a 'modern' world.  How many Saudi Arabians live and act in very Western ways, yet all still operate under a sort of absolute Monarchy.  Lots of behind the scenes power struggles between various factions, but the King is seldom questioned in public.   

This might be way out of left field but I find the topic interesting.

If the region "Middle-East" is a most be; than maybe more like the smaller Kingdoms on the perian gulf like Qatar 1 I quote:"Liberalized Politics, Religion and Media:
In 1997, Qatar became the Persian Gulf's second country to grant women the right to vote. (Iran is the other.) Women have been appointed to government posts, including as minister of education. Unlike neighboring Saudi Arabia, women in Qatar may drive, wear bikinis at the beach and wear whatever they please elsewhere. Alcohol is served in hotels and a church Opened in 2008. The emir also launched Al Jazeera , the Arab world's first 24-hour pan-Arab satellite channel, in 1996, giving it wide latitude to report freely and aggressively--but not about the Emirate."

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2011, 14:12 »

Ahh, but how 'liberalized' is the Kingdom? I've been under the impression that it's more 50/50, as in extremely pragmatic and liberal with certain cultural aspects (cybernetics, Imperial theology, etc), while even more conservative than the Empire in other areas (slavery, house-loyalty, etc)

Publius Valerius

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2011, 14:59 »

Ahh, but how 'liberalized' is the Kingdom? I've been under the impression that it's more 50/50, as in extremely pragmatic and liberal with certain cultural aspects (cybernetics, Imperial theology, etc), while even more conservative than the Empire in other areas (slavery, house-loyalty, etc)

I agree, I would see it 50/50 to.... ehm how can I expalin?
First let me start why I choose Qatar over Saudi-Arabia.. first a "hard" institutional view (constitution, ministry, laws, property rights) so we will find out that Qatar had a absolut monarchy, with a the "rule of law" and with modern private property rights.
In Saudi-Arabia we find the Ulma, the Saud, the Tribes so we have more a fuzzy pic.... most would say a absolut monarchy too, so I, but with less "room for maneuver"/Handlungsspielraum and "scope for decision-making"/Entscheidungspielraum.
(nice Doku)
Now the "soft" institution (sanctions, taboos, customs, traditions, code of conduct)... in this point both couldnt be more appart... I dont even know were should I start  :ugh: (just see article or wiki).

Now about the Kingdom.... first their isnt right or wrong "khanid roleplaying" so I know some play their Khanid chars like Amarr 1.0 (Ardishapur style). Then their others... ehm... what a like more... or should I say love... is a Amarr 2.0 (meaning a more modern approach with strong amarr roots)... I for myself I´m more out the "field"... meaning if Amarr 2.0 is the center so would be, lets say Amarr 1.0 on the extrem left side of the scale.... I would be than on the extram right side of the scale, meaning I play my more as a 50Amarr/50Caldari Char.

1.0--------2.0--------Me  :P

So know to the actually question... I know I´m the horror... but you will find out why I choose this long intro....
So we have the "soft" institution... and like you said "liberal with certain cultural aspects (cybernetics, Imperial theology, etc)," so in this point more like Qatar....
About the "hard" institution" we have: "he governmental structure and administration are all but identical, the only difference being the lack of checks-and-balances that many entrenched institutions and local barons exercise within the empire." [2]
I would say in this point like Qatar too.... because less fussy and no ulama/ThCouncil

______
About your last point.... "more conservative than the Empire in other areas (slavery, house-loyalty, etc)" I would say yes..... but is conservative the right word and makes this point it more Saud like? I mean their isnt no royal house more wakko then them see the drunk f*** Saud bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saud_of_Saudi_Arabia

« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2011, 15:07 by Publius Valerius »