Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Many medical services are provided by AIs rather than human doctors?  More on AIMEDs here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: King Khanid: Secularist? Religious? Dare I say Sabik?  (Read 3238 times)

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
Re: King Khanid: Secularist? Religious? Dare I say Sabik?
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2011, 00:01 »

I kind of like the idea of Khanid being a bit like Henry VIII in his outlook on religion.

The main question I have is what’s the line of succession? There’s no mention (that I know of) of a Queen or an Heir to the Khanid throne.

So if he dies, the Kingdom would probably get thrown into a civil war and/or completely subsumed by the Empire.

They make a point to mention Khanid’s “Gallente pop-star slave.” Reading between the lines, I definitely see more than the usual Master/Servant connection here. But marrying your slaves is “just not done dahling.”

Not sure if it’s a typo or what, but Khanid is listed as being True Amarr and not Khanid. This makes the line of succession even more cloudy.

And speaking of succession, Jamyl doesn’t have a spouse either does she? It would make for a strange Empire if Jamyl and Khanid married.

I don’t see Khanid as being very friendly with the Sabik. Blood Raiders are one of the main NPC villains in the Kingdom. I could definitely see the Sabik secretly supporting houses that are or were against Khanid’s reign.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2011, 03:27 »

The title of the Emperor has never been hereditary in the Empire. At least as far as the PF goes.

I doubt that title of the king is hereditary in the Kingdom.

The House Khanid has always been lead by the True Amarr.
The succession of an Amarrian religion based theocracy is not a hereditary monarchy where lines of succession mean anything. I believe that the top dog of any noble house can make just about anyone their heir. I do not see why it would be different in the Kingdom, but I would think that keeping the True Amarr as the ruling class of the Kingdom will still be there a long time after King Khanid has passed away.

You know, the religion, The Chosen and all that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2011, 21:55 »

I was specific in saying sabik and not raider, as I think two very different things. just being devil's advocate as he clearly shows the ambition for personal power and a disregard for tradition in order to achieve it.

Yes true amarr, not a typo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there was certainly warp-drive, etc during the leaving of the Empire. The Amarr were already spread out over many regions of Eve, and what is now the Kingdom basically being his own teritory much like Kor-Azor or Kador.

The Emperor is not hereditary, but power within each House is hereditary.  We can probably reasonably infer that Khanid has blood relatives waiting in line (or plotting his death).

Publius Valerius

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2011, 16:36 »

Interested in hearing viewpoints on my beloved Khanid II.  We have a decent amount of PF with regards to the 'events' regarding the King, but precious little about the Man.

Just for the sake of stirring up some conversation, I think we could make a very reasonable case for Khanid being much more along the line of a Secularist, than your typical True Amarr Imperial Heir.

1. Completely disregarding tradition with the trials, leaving the empire, establishing his own government, etc. Extremely pious religious dogmatics would have fallen on their swords like the other Heirs.

2. Referring to Heideran as a 'whimpering fool' is well, sacrelige.

3. I feel Khanid could almost be a sort of Martin Luthor, decreeing that only yourself is needed for a relationship with god. Not the theology council or the church.

4. He seems to be an extremely shrewd operator establishing and maintaining his small kingdom with all the large/scary neighbors.  The amount of PF we have with the Khanids being completely pragmatic lends credibility to him being essentiall Machiavellian in nature, using any methods, religious, military, etc, to get what he wants.

5. Sabik? Quest for individual power without regards for religion? Focus on individual power and ability (the signs of faith chronicle suggests this).

Let's not forget the various references to him being quite a hedonist. Keeping a Gallente pop star as a 'personal slave' and the joke about him liking younger women in the 'signs of faith' chronicle.

Opinions?

Nice list, but Martin Luther or Henry VIII could be a little to much... the rest top... I see it the same way.

P.S. I agree he is better looking as the old Chamberlain.   :P
Pages: 1 [2]