Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ships in EVE have crews?  Really.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What bothers you about your own roleplay?  (Read 6931 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: What bothers you about your own roleplay?
« Reply #60 on: 01 May 2013, 07:35 »

My main issue with my RP in Eve over the last couple of years has been that I enter a cycle of burn out and re-interest in the game, but not RP.   

However, when I come back into the game I end up interacting, working and pvping with RPers because those are the people I know.  I then try to stay at least lightly in character out of respect to them,  but always end up getting more involved than I want AND end up being a snarky douche to the random characters that try interact with Hamish because I can't muster the energy to humor them too.   As a result I think most of the current generation knew Hamish (if at all) as a real jerk.    This is sad because I  don't behave that way in real life and Hamish's personality was supposed to be a mix of Captain Picard, Katsumoto from the last Samurai and a dash of Buliwyf from the 13th Warrior.   All those characters handle themselves with a sense of decorum and stoic politeness, that Hamish hadn't in some while :(

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #61 on: 01 May 2013, 12:00 »

Louella is cheerful and sunny all the time.

I am not. I get depressed.
Does it bother you that she's cheerful?

A bit. it's very tiring if I'm not in the right mood irl, to play \o/ IC
\o/

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #62 on: 01 May 2013, 12:06 »

The time has come to play Grimdark Louella.

You get the idea.

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #63 on: 01 May 2013, 12:10 »

You killed me with that Aldrith, couldn't stop laughing xD

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #64 on: 01 May 2013, 13:43 »

I guess what bothers me the most is that when I interact with a character that I have not spoken to in weeks, and they ask "So, how's life been for you?" Ché usually ends up talking about the list of drama that happened in his life again. Ché is actually bothered by that himself sometimes, so he sometimes starts apologizing for being mr. Bad News again, or just changes the subject/dodges the question to spare his friends from his misery.
The reason this bothers me OOC is because I fear being labeled a drama queen or a downer, and that characters/players will avoid interacting with him, even though Ché really tries to limit drama for the most part. In fact, you could say thats his goal. But drama always manages to find him somehow, and a lot, if not most of it, is out of my hands or unintentional. I guess I should blame the GRIMDARK.

Another very minor bother is that every now and then I want something to tip Ché's scale in one direction firmly and forcefully and just jam a TCMC into him and march him off into Nation's ranks, or something like that. I think this is partly because I sometimes miss being in an active corp since Ché started his own movement, and partly because of the "Declare your loyalty" thread, as I would like to get more involved with live events, but his neutrality and pacifism usually means he can do nothing but watch (in the few cases that he learns of these events outside of news articles after they have already happened) and later assist in or donate to relief efforts.
-OOChé

Techie Kanenald

• Egger
  • Beagle
« Reply #65 on: 01 May 2013, 13:53 »

his neutrality and pacifism

Che'....we need to talk....I has ideas.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 01 May 2013, 17:24 »

I was thinking about how to answer this, and I came up with such a huge list it startled me. This isn't even the entire list.

In no particular order:

I started playing EVE while deeply depressed. I loved it for its depth and immersion and ability to make me forget about how rotten I felt all day, every day. Unfortunately, this meant that I created characters while deeply depressed, and then had to find ways to keep playing them when I recovered from that depression, even though I didn't really enjoy them anymore. This lead to me dropping one or two of them and significantly altering the ones I kept. Being depressed also impacted the way I played the characters and the reputation I developed - I'd like to think that I managed to fix some of that but there's an extent to which reputations never die - particularly bad ones. I felt like this limited my options when I was finally (mostly) healthy again.

I struggled a lot creating interesting appealing male characters. I'm very good at making deep, complex characters that don't do a good enough job attracting initial interest for anyone to notice. The result was simply that despite how much depth there might have been to the characters, few of the male ones ever attracted anyone interested in RP. This caused Stecker to become my de facto main - she was the only character that I could reliably RP with. The others would once in a while get a good discussion in here or there, but I felt much more like I had to force them upon someone, finding ways to provoke others into RPing with them because otherwise they'd be ignored. Stecker, on the other hand, could attract RP.

The first incarnation of Stecker was terrible. Once I came to this realization, I had to beat it with a hammer to get it into something borderline acceptable within the PF. Did my best to keep the core and some interesting concepts, but had to wipe out a lot of it.

I was pretty much incapable of being happy with one character. I wanted to play different people and experience different things. I think i could have gotten by with just one character if it were possible to bring out and play with all of the complexities. But that never seemed to happen, so I ended up with a bunch of characters that were different on the surface because I couldn't ever get past the surface of any of them. The result was 3-5 distinct RP characters which I was attached to - I didn't want to let any of them go until I finally had to give them all up and quit.

Unlike many people, I actually had no problem with the fast moving RP channels - I type fast, and my ADD-addled mind loved keeping up with three different conversations at once, participating in one (or two, depending on alts). This, in turn, led to some EPIC ALT-FAILS. Flirting with someone on Stecker, tab to alt, forget to tab back, continue flirting with male character in a manner that makes the alt-fail really blatantly obvious. fml.

I have no direction.

Nothing in the EVE lore has grabbed onto me for a while,  and so I wander aimlessly throughout New Eden, not really understanding why I'm still there.

That being said, EVE is the one place a player can build something lasting (Looking at you PIE), I just don't know what to build.

And this was essentially where it ended. I loved EVE for the possibility of building something, but despite various attempts I could never manage it. The closest I came to success involved running a small alt corp and a POS in particular - fuck that shit. So after enough failed attempts, I found myself with nothing to do, entirely aimless, logging in just to update skills and RP a little and be discouraged. So I stopped.

@ Aldrith: I fucking laughed. Thanks.

These days Stuff™ is happening that makes me ponder rejoining, but then I realize how much fun I'm having with games that aren't charging me a subscription fee every month and I stick to those games. I could never find a reliable way to make enough isk to pay for plex - particularly given my desire to run 3+ accounts.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #67 on: 01 May 2013, 22:13 »

My issue is that I am not very good at "conversation RP" and has to sort to other types to get my stories out. I do have 5-6 rather distinct and interesting characters, I think, but just have not had the time or mean to show their personalities to an audience outside of my head.

While I am not a terrible social person, I do feel I have left my contribution/mark in Eve. It brings a smile when people refer to my guides on Cosmos, epic arcs and booster production or when somebody mistakes my A'J articles as PF. As so, I would really like to subscribe for a month to experience both Eve's and my character's ten year old birthday, but sadly my game interests and CCP's focus have been non-aligned since they stopped working on anything WiS related. Even though exploration is my thing, a rework of the mechanics surrounding these provides no new content for me (the stuff you find is still the same, only how you do it change), so I am at a loss to what I should be spending my time on if I resubscribed. :|
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Grideris

• Wetgraver
  • Keeper of the bowl of Infinite Popcorn
« Reply #68 on: 02 May 2013, 06:46 »

My problem is that I don't really do anything other than live events. Because of this, Grid doesn't really have any depth at all. Maybe I should stop being lazy one day and do things and stuff to fix this.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #69 on: 02 May 2013, 15:37 »

I'm bad at initiating private roleplay. I always get very anxious that I'll be bothering someone when I consider doing it, or catch them at a time when they're not in the mood, OOCly, and become a nuisance.
I just had to chime into the +1 to Gwen group.

A friend of mine had/has a similar problem concerning assumptions, expectations and fears. His therapist asked him what he thought would/could happen when he would cut in line in a supermarket. He answered that he was sure that people would get mad at him and talk/shout/punch at him, etc. The therapist then gave him some "homework": he had to cut in line.
So my friend went to a supermarket, and got all anxious about what he was going to do. But he did it, and to his surprised, no one even said a word. This experience has imparted a lesson on him that was benificial.
Hehe, I'm not sure if I agree with the therapist's approach or if I want to recommend you to do the same, but maybe just the story can offer clues about how to get rid of that anxiety.

Anyway, feel free to engage me. I may be busy and decline, but I would not be bothered by the invitation. I would actually feel flattered by it.
-OOChé

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #70 on: 02 May 2013, 19:31 »

I'm bad at initiating private roleplay. I always get very anxious that I'll be bothering someone when I consider doing it, or catch them at a time when they're not in the mood, OOCly, and become a nuisance.

A friend of mine had/has a similar problem concerning assumptions, expectations and fears. His therapist asked him what he thought would/could happen when he would cut in line in a supermarket. He answered that he was sure that people would get mad at him and talk/shout/punch at him, etc. The therapist then gave him some "homework": he had to cut in line.
So my friend went to a supermarket, and got all anxious about what he was going to do. But he did it, and to his surprised, no one even said a word. This experience has imparted a lesson on him that was benificial.
Hehe, I'm not sure if I agree with the therapist's approach or if I want to recommend you to do the same, but maybe just the story can offer clues about how to get rid of that anxiety.

Anyway, feel free to engage me. I may be busy and decline, but I would not be bothered by the invitation. I would actually feel flattered by it.

Yup, that's the inmersion technique, if it is called the same in english. And feel free to engage me as well, I'm always willing to RP. :)

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #71 on: 02 May 2013, 22:32 »

This used to be me, many many moons ago.

Now I've become a griefer-at-heart who uses fleshed-out, immersive Role Play to spice up my griefing/piracy/PKing/what-have-you and make it more interesting for me and more infuriating for my victims. This has become the case for me across all the MMO's I've played. No longer do I avoid worrying about bothering people — I now secretly hope that I am catching them at a bad time.

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #72 on: 03 May 2013, 04:12 »

Verin dives headlong into arguments that I myself would usually be smart enough to avoid... which means that I[/i] then get dragged into them.

As a consequence of the above, I sometimes feel like I overpower the other people in the channel, like I want to be the center of attention - I don't, I just get so engaged that afterwards looking back I feel like I was being an attention whore, even when I know I wasn't.

Also whenever I portray Verin's darker, cynical side, it bothers me - my heart's never quite in it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]