Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Faction Loyalty/Dissention and in-game realities  (Read 10670 times)

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
Re: Faction Loyalty/Dissention and in-game realities
« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:06 »

Equating yourself with a canon character is the biggest faus pas that you can commit in any setting.
Please don't do it repeatedly in EVE.

Didn't say that. As Casiella and Ken has pointed out, I said that my character is effectively a "capsuleer like Roden".

It's mechanics versus PF...sure there's no mechanic for it, but PF points out in multiple occassions that go against mechanics.

Here, CCP Delegate Zero says "use your imagination" for doing crew counts for T2 and T3 ships. There's no mechanics for crews, but they exist.

As it stands, the mechanics of the game do not allow it, sure, but PF does not say anywhere that a capsuleer cannot visit ordinary areas of station, or visit their homeplanet.

Theres a difference between coming up with crew counts and saying something like "I macked on the Empress last night, which is ok because shes a capsuleer and my imagination allows it to happen.'

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:07 »

I've just said (twice) that there are NPC capsuleers.

So, where and when did they get their licenses?

Being adamant about this "in-game reality" is an arbitrary and IMO unreasonable solution to people not being able to communicate and consent their RP together.

Oh, I'm all for doing the consentual RP part, in fact if you involve NPCs in your RP I believe it needs to be consensual because there is no interactable reference frame independent of the RP actors themselves. That was sort of my point.

I'm not telling you how to play, or what is good or bad, merely pointing out that the fact that NPCs never talk back to you or interact with you in any other perceivable way, that such a thing might cause problems if you base your RP primarily on your imagined version of the NPC world.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:08 »

capsuleers live in a world apart from the NPCs.
I contend that they absolutely do not (and there is a substantial body of PF material to support that claim), but that the means available to us (players) of interacting with that world (CCP's sometimes schizophrenic support of roleplay in their video game) are limited because of handicaps imposed by the real world (the time and expense of supporting a large roleplay community for a large MMO as completely as a GM could support a pen-and-paper RPG group).

They don't live apart from capsuleers in PF, they live apart from capsuleers in the *in-game reality*.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2011, 15:12 »

Theres a difference between coming up with crew counts and saying something like "I macked on the Empress last night, which is ok because shes a capsuleer and my imagination allows it to happen.'

Wow wow wow, there's also a big difference between saying my character voted in the last district election and doing the example you have just provided.

Exactly where did I say I've ever done something to that scale?

As far as CCP is concerned, capsuleers engaging with the world around them realistically is completely permissable.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2011, 17:13 »

Telling someone IC that they can't do something reasonably possible simply because we all know ooc that game mechanics won't allow it is lame and happens too often.

I'm glad that some people interacted productively with this Free Holder guy, especially since the whole Jamyl is a zombie theory does have some support in the PF.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2011, 18:37 »

Telling someone IC that they can't do something reasonably possible simply because we all know ooc that game mechanics won't allow it is lame and happens too often.

I'm glad that some people interacted productively with this Free Holder guy, especially since the whole Jamyl is a zombie theory does have some support in the PF.

Jamyl IS a zombie, and quite crazy (thanks, Tony G....) but unless I've misread something, there's not a single one of us, or any other capsuleer that would have the slightest information regarding ANY of that.

So when people come out in public IC with that sort of information I'm not inclined towards much interaction.

Much as when anyone so much as mentions 'the broker' crashing that Nyx into Ishukone.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #36 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:42 »

Well, I think the complaint here was not that the players don't interact (productively) with a person like this, the complaint was that the NPCs don't interact with him while the PF perception is that they would.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #37 on: 28 Apr 2011, 14:00 »

EDIT:  Why did I post to one thread anf have it appear in another?    

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2011, 05:19 »

Does this mean what I think it means?
Information on a pilot's standings towards NPC corporations is no longer visible from 'Show Info'. You now see the standings information between you and the other pilot and the factions you each belong to.
http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp?patchlogID=226

Lyn Farel

« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2011, 05:52 »

Ohh, corporations are going to make their standings private ?

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #40 on: 16 May 2011, 07:48 »

And factions it seems, unless you're aligned with them. So I think you can 'show info' on TLF pilot and see his Minmatar faction standing, but not much else.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #41 on: 16 May 2011, 08:04 »

That's... that's so fail.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #42 on: 16 May 2011, 08:44 »

Does this mean what I think it means?
Information on a pilot's standings towards NPC corporations is no longer visible from 'Show Info'. You now see the standings information between you and the other pilot and the factions you each belong to.
http://www.eveonline.com/updates/patchnotes.asp?patchlogID=226

Unless that means I can ally myself with the angels, that is so incredibly fail.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #43 on: 16 May 2011, 08:46 »

I don't understand the issue here. So you can see that (for example) somebody has +6.0 faction standings to the Minmatar Republic, but not their +9.0 to Republic Fleet.

Have I missed something?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #44 on: 16 May 2011, 08:49 »

I don't understand the issue here. So you can see that (for example) somebody has +6.0 faction standings to the Minmatar Republic, but not their +9.0 to Republic Fleet.

Have I missed something?

Oh, wait, is that what it means? ooooohhhh.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7