Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Roleplay Issues with Katrina  (Read 18118 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Roleplay Issues with Katrina
« Reply #45 on: 02 Jul 2012, 10:16 »

TL;DR, she doesn't really like anybody but Ishukone and Hyasyoda. Anyone not of those two megacorps is someone she will always view with a measure of suspicion and caution. I'm going to start writing in some light dashes of ethnocentric bias and make it more difficult for her to get along with non Caldari.
Question: what exactly is her issue with a Heth-led Caldari government? Is it more that he is opposed to Ishukone or are there other reasons? It's a fascinating contradiction you have built in there.

Katrina is a bit old school in how she thinks the State should be. the concept of a single man leading the State is abhorrant to her. It should be the CEOs of the Big Eight who run the scene. It should be the CEP who directs the Caldari Navy.

The CPD and the blueshirt provists who impose their will on the other seven megacorps strikes Kat as something ridiculously insulting. It doesn't help that Kat percieves Heth as a fool and a bigot, two things she hates more than anything.

While she respects some things Heth has accomplished during his hopefully short tenure as State Executor, she does not respect the man. Oh, and, Heth doesn't like the Liberals. He's also partly responsible for the thriving existance of people like Diana Kim, who Kat hates.

(I on the other hand find Diana Kim a remarkably interesting character, though not quite as likable as Rodj.)

Quote from: Makkal
Khanid Kingdom... beneath her notice. 

I'm glad to hear things are looking up. I find it adds to my RP immensely when I have a strong, well-defined vision for a character.

Makkal and her haven’t yet managed to have an actual conversation, but she’s a pleasure to watch whenever she comes out of the shadows to public venues.

Kat doesn't really pay attention to the Khanid Kingdom, it's true. But my list was more indicative of the four m ajor powers, rather then including all nuanced smaller powers like Syndicate, Khanid, Ammatar, pirates, etc. She does have strong opinions on some others, but you'll have to poke her IC to learn more. Just don't do it in public. The PR Director is unlikely to rant in public about an entire empire.

Quote from: Ken
I like this new, harder Kat.  Almost sounds like a proper Patriot (in Liberal clothing). 

I'll just let you wonder about the fact that this is intended.

Quote from: Lyn Farel
When do you intend to hire Charlize Theron for the related movie ?

Well now that she's done filming Prometheus... I've got her on speed dial for just such an occasion.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #46 on: 02 Jul 2012, 13:12 »

High five!

Have been following this thread, is looking great

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #47 on: 02 Jul 2012, 15:19 »

TL;DR, she doesn't really like anybody but Ishukone and Hyasyoda. Anyone not of those two megacorps is someone she will always view with a measure of suspicion and caution. I'm going to start writing in some light dashes of ethnocentric bias and make it more difficult for her to get along with non Caldari.

It's also worth noting that she never says "Saisieni, Summit" anymore. She no longer considers outsiders her kin worthy of her native tongue. Unless the person is Caldari, she will not consider them kin without the person first demonstrating they deserve that respect by both supporting and -fighting for- the State and Ishukone.
:eek:
I look forward to our new Katrina overlords.

Been watching this thread, lots of good suggestions in here.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #48 on: 02 Jul 2012, 15:47 »

It's also worth noting that she never says "Saisieni, Summit" anymore. She no longer considers outsiders her kin worthy of her native tongue. Unless the person is Caldari, she will not consider them kin without the person first demonstrating they deserve that respect by both supporting and -fighting for- the State and Ishukone.

This was my work.

I am glad to see this. While it's a different topic entirely (likely fit it's own tread if I care enough to make one) I find the constant use of native tongue's on the IGS nearly intolerable and a strange IC and OOC issue.

For the ooc issue, while it's not the intent of the players doing so, every time a toon uses a non-translated (not English) word of phrase on the IGS I get the impression they are aiming for deliberate "my-faction-is-better-due-cool-sayings-and-language" grade elitism. Obviously incorrect bullshit, but I'm in no control over my impressions and feelings.'

The IC issue is mostly due the fact two of my toons believe that deliberately TURNING OFF THE TRANSLATOR so that words, phrases and/or sayings get through without translation is basically a form of cultural imperialism in it's own right and effectively an insult to everyone that observes. It's like saying "I can't be bothered to translate this so that you understand, it's your job to know my language by default and understand me, if you can't, you don't deserve to know what I'm even saying or what these words mean. Translate by hand if you want to know." In short, insisting that everyone else caters to your own language in a highly public location with billions of viewers is essentially promoting an attitude that they simply don't respect nor enjoy seeing.

As for the changes in Kat, I'm glad to see these. If I get back into RP'ing (and gaming more often than 2-3 hours every other day or so :lol:) I suspect I might have quite some fun sharpening my verbal poking-sticks with Kat.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #49 on: 02 Jul 2012, 16:01 »

I don't understand the language thing from the opposite direction ("how are you bypassing my translation software?"), but I won't go further off-topic here. Suffice to say "thanks, Kat!"

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 02 Jul 2012, 16:50 »

I'd say that Mitara Newelle is a small inspiration for how I'm going to begin separating and compartmentalizing my need for happy RP and the strength to thrive in EVE's dystopian RP scene. As someone put it, Mitty is a kitten with Aldrith only but a lioness everywhere else. I hope to emulate that with Katrina by shutting off most of the public examples of Kat's soft side, reserving it for private RP as suggested.

* Aldrith Shutaq tears up with pride.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 02 Jul 2012, 18:05 »

As for the changes in Kat, I'm glad to see these. If I get back into RP'ing (and gaming more often than 2-3 hours every other day or so :lol:) I suspect I might have quite some fun sharpening my verbal poking-sticks with Kat.

Just be aware I've never taken a debate class, and part of Kat's new character is that she doesn't see the need to indulge random Mr. Joe Egger with a full fledged debate complete with carefully crafted opinions. She's more likely to smirk at you, say something snotty, then just block you IC.

I feel it's something odd that people will have these big drawn out debates with folks they just met five minutes ago for the first time. I find it odd that someone who's ~seen some shit~ has the patience to lose hair over a debate with a ten day old newbie. I don't mean this to exclude new players in the RP scene... but more this:

Why would I take an hour to argue for/against [political controversy] with some guy I just passed by on the street? Why would I bother if I was Donald Trump or George Patton? I wouldn't. I wouldn't be arguing with anybody not explicitly worth my time... and time is worth a lot to the Caldari.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jul 2012, 18:53 »

I wouldn't be arguing with anybody not explicitly worth my time...

I believe we've found the next Sani Sabik recruit. This one sounds quite promising.  :P

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #53 on: 02 Jul 2012, 20:55 »

I believe we've found the next Sani Sabik recruit. This one sounds quite promising.  :P

She already meets the space-lesbian half of the entry requirements, too! *flees*

Yes, I'm kidding.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #54 on: 02 Jul 2012, 21:03 »

Why would I take an hour to argue for/against [political controversy] with some guy I just passed by on the street? Why would I bother if I was Donald Trump or George Patton? I wouldn't. I wouldn't be arguing with anybody not explicitly worth my time... and time is worth a lot to the Caldari.

:cube:

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #55 on: 03 Jul 2012, 00:09 »

NUUUUUUU!
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #56 on: 03 Jul 2012, 00:22 »

Love the direction you've taken Kat-C and glad that I get to see her softer side from time to time.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #57 on: 03 Jul 2012, 06:31 »

Meh, I get the impression that I'm playing Malcolm all wrong apparently.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 03 Jul 2012, 07:02 »

I'm not sure you could play a character that refused to engage in philosophical/political debate. At a minimum, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #59 on: 03 Jul 2012, 07:43 »

This isn't about anyone else's character. This is more about the fact that I personally don't like pointless debate that always gets heated about the same controversial topics. they were fun the first couple times, but when every new bob and sally comes onto the summit with another version of the same argument... it gets tiring. I needed a reason why Kat would just block rather than indulge.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11