Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guristas and Angels  (Read 6993 times)

Vincent Pryce

Re: Guristas and Angels
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:40 »

Well, this analogy is not gonna make much sense unless you are familiar with Vampire the masquerade, but to me Angel Cartel reminds me of Camarilla, and Guristas remind me of Sabbat. Both a very rigidly structured in their core and have clear set of hierarchy but with Cammy the reach of the Inner Circle (Dominations) can felt even on street level where as with Sabbat the cells are more local, loose and individually autonomous even if there is a pecking order in the sect.

Angel Cartel seems like the type to set up shop and dominate from the shadows, again like Camarilla and Guristas are the roaming and opportunistic types to wreak havoc for fun and profit where they are able, much like the Sabbat. Then again like with Guristas, there are ranks, officers and duties to the core of the faction.

Anyway this is how I see the things, I will try to come up with less VtM influenced explanation for my pov in the future. D:

PS. I've not read TBL yet.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2010, 03:45 »

Anyway this is how I see the things, I will try to come up with less VtM influenced explanation for my pov in the future. D:
V:tM ftw, to be honest ;)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2010, 10:29 »

That largely fits some of what I've thought, Vince. Though I  suspect the Guristas might be (in a general way) more capable of discipline on a small (even individual) scale when it comes to doing business. Guristas get a lot of folks who leave the military, after all.

Institutional 'recklessness' or personal recklessness - and if it is the second, would it mean being willing to do dangerous things in pursuit of an objective, or sloppiness, or something else? Some combination of the aforementioned?

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:20 »

Fun fact: Despite the popular image we get, pirates weren't all that often just a bunch of random drunks who stumbled onto a ship and started firing on trade vessels. They were the results of massive cutbacks to naval fleets after a war was over because, win or lose, you don't really need all of them anymore. The pirates were, in fact, ex sailors often trained by some of the most powerful empires of the day who realized that the ability to cut off an enemy's retreat, hit their mast, and board the ship didn't help much in farming. Sure, they did kidnap a few people and force them to work on their crews, but most pirate crews started out as former naval officers.

Because of this I'd say that as pirates Guristas are probably the most traditional, at least in that they have a military background. The Angel Cartel seems to be more like a mafia that extended past a solar system. Both will as a result be more organized on some ways and less in others comparison to each other. I imagine that the Angels probably maintain much more communication between their different operations, while a naval admiral probably wouldn't feel at all out of place leading a Guristas fleet.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:25 »

That largely fits some of what I've thought, Vince. Though I  suspect the Guristas might be (in a general way) more capable of discipline on a small (even individual) scale when it comes to doing business. Guristas get a lot of folks who leave the military, after all.

Institutional 'recklessness' or personal recklessness - and if it is the second, would it mean being willing to do dangerous things in pursuit of an objective, or sloppiness, or something else? Some combination of the aforementioned?

Yeah, a bit more organized than Sabbat on a raw street level. Maybe like the revised edition Black Hand or the sorts.

More on the personal recklessness. Pretty much "Terror, for fun and profit" kinda recklessness. Striking when opportunity rises it's head, and sometimes taking a shot at glory with less than perfect planning just because there was an opportunity to do so. This kind of attitude shows in some of the NPC interactions in the Guri arc.

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2010, 19:01 »

From the Angel Epic Arc Mission "Gang War"

[spoiler]Gang War
The Angel Cartel and Guristas have a lot in common on the surface. Both seem to be the classical thugs, engaging in all the brutish activities attributed to base criminals. But while the two do have some overlapping interests, their methods and core desires are different.

The Angel Cartel is closer to a criminal mafia, dedicated to pushing drugs, running protection rackets, taking out assassination contracts, and involving themselves in all manner of nefarious research projects. The Guristas, however, are opportunistic pirates. They prowl the space lanes and hit any target that looks half-valuable or vulnerable. They loot and plunder what they can, ransom off the valuable survivors, and then hit the bars to celebrate.

The Cartel sees the Guristas as chaotic malcontents, disrupting trade, causing economic difficulties, and generally making it more difficult for them to ply their illicit trades. The Guristas see the Cartel as dishonorable brutes, skulking in the darkness and using trickery and deception to dull the minds and sensibilities of their clients.[/spoiler]

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #21 on: 28 Apr 2010, 02:23 »

Sweet, thanks for that quote Vik.

Personally when Yishal first coined the idea of "Hey, maybe we should work with Veto IC" I kinda scratched my head and pointed at the ingame standings. After going through all background information back then available, it did seem workable, and I am happy prime fiction seems to support this, though it depends from what angle you look at it. Different methods, same goal seems a good synopsis. Purists might disapprove of either working with the other, and in the end they are as right as progressives who see opportunity.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Nakatre Read

• Resident Angel
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #22 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:50 »

Purist reporting for duty.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #23 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:53 »

Well, my personal view is that the Guristas/Angels conflict is a business issue, not an idealogical issue. They might have different philosophies, but ultimately I think any largely successful pirate group in Eve must be pretty ruthlessly practical, right?

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:30 »

Does this mean no more cyber? ;(

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:44 »

Does that mean Myrhial's free?

Oh, wait. Wrong thread.

But yeah, as I told Milo yesterday: when somebody creates a project that exists somewhere in that Angel / Serpentis / Syndicate nexus, they get my interest.

Nakatre Read

• Resident Angel
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2010, 15:06 »

Does this mean no more cyber? ;(

No, it means our cyber will get even more intense.  :bear:
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2010, 15:10 by Nakatre Read »
Pages: 1 [2]